Motorcycle Powered Kart: Father Daughter Project

Time for an UPDATE!

Split the front ATV frame in half. Was a lot more tricky than I anticipated. Not much room in there.
Got in with a cutting disc, and got about 1/3rd cut.
Then with a hacksaw.
Finally ended up using a hacksaw blade only for the last couple of brackets.

IMG_4204_zps01utjo9o.jpg

IMG_4239_zpsl3awdd8f.jpg

Split in half.

IMG_4249_zps0ulaucco.jpg

Extended the mid section. Pins inside. Taped together for now, while still designing. Pop (grandpa - designated welder and all round nice guy) will weld up later.

Designed a wheel adapter for the front wheels.

FWAC_04_zpsjyabq4wt.jpg

FWAC_01_zps5gfidfmb.jpg

IMG_4219_zpsmv7v0nvh.jpg

IMG_4225_zps3club6lf.jpg

IMG_4243_zpswn6rmvco.jpg

Drilled and Tapped

IMG_4247_zpsxjpag808.jpg

And the Final Product.

Once I started using a CNC machine, I realized why companies charge so much for this kind of work. Its not just plug and play. Its hours of work manning the machine, setting up, making sure toolpaths are correct and so on. Hugely rewarding though!

IMG_4261_zpsy9x78fji.jpg

IMG_4263_zpsrdtlt2i6.jpg

Not perfect. But good for the job. Ill have it anodized in red to match the shocks I think. :)
Now to make the other one. :-/

IMG_4266_zpspvqsw7jy.jpg

IMG_4265_zpsm70vhqgq.jpg

IMG_4267_zpsdjti0vod.jpg

Surprised "A" with a new set of front shocks too :-D

IMG_4270_zpsxe8hr9zq.jpg

IMG_4271_zpsog4pe4eb.jpg

:-D Thanks Maritime! I'm having a lot of fun with this!

Forgot to show the wheel bolted onto the adapter from this side.

IMG_4252_zps3znb3vpc.jpg

Are those little wee drum brakes going to stop it ok? I am guessing it isn't going to be super heavy or crazy fast so they may be just fine.

Yeah I think they'll be ok.

Ill definitely be putting some kind of "governor" in place if need be once I see how it performs. I need to limit the speed she can do. Most likely just some kind of a stopper on the Accelerator pedal, that I can adjust, not allowing the throttle to open up fully.

The ATV has a disc on the rear axle. That would be plan B if these little drums don't do the job as effectively as needed.

:'(

Tool makers have all the fun... I hope you are welding that galvanized with TIG process. Got Milk ::)

You guys know milk really doesn't prevent or treat metal fume fever, right? ::)

You guys and your...your CADs and your...computers...and.....and skills and things and stuff :mad:

The jealousy is rising fast ;D

Tune-A-Fish said:
:'(

Tool makers have all the fun... I hope you are welding that galvanized with TIG process. Got Milk ::)

Yes tig. Good you bring this up. Not the best practice by any means!

In my eagerness, I happened to see the galvanized piping in my local hardware store down the road. Correct diameter.
Pop said he didn't mind using it, as long as I ground the edges where we will need welds.
However, once I know how much material Ill need for the chassis, it probably makes sense to just order the additional 1m or so we need for this, and avoid the issue altogether. :)

Thanks for looking out for us! :p

coyote13 said:
You guys and your...your CADs and your...computers...and.....and skills and things and stuff :mad:

Oh no need to be jealous! I use FREECAD.

Download it here: http://www.freecadweb.org/

Its really good, and its open source, and theres tons of tutorials and support.
Here are a bunch to get you started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-WmlAh5dhQ&index=5&list=PL6fZ68Cq3L8k0JhxnIVjZQN26cn9idJrj

Careful you dont fall asleep. This guy talks REAL slow. But its open source stuff, and he has done these really thorough tutorials in his own time. So even though he reminds me of some of my teachers and lecturers in the (distant) past, its really great that hes taken the time to do it.

VonYinzer said:
Good stuff and nice choice w the VDub wheels. Always cool in my book.

Yeah they DO look like Vdub wheels dont they? I would have guessed that as well. In fact they're MINI wheels (13inch).
The Yokohama tires are the lowest / widest available for this size rim according to the dealer.
So its important to understand the size of these little wheels, to put the scale and proportions of the rest of the kart into perspective.
This little car is smaller than you would imagine, with the wheel size being 48cm (diameter) x 20xcm (width).

IMG_4286_zpsmi8r18je.jpg

Which brings me to the next bit of exploration... Wheel Base

WHEELBASE_zpswfayjm7z.jpg

I scaled this blueprint of a KTM X-Bow according to the MINI wheels.
I get the a wheel base of 1800mm axle to axle, and 1400mm wide track.
I m thinking that might be a bit long, having 1600mm originally in mind.
What you guys think?

coyote13 said:

I feel this way every time I read a new build! :'(

Wow, thanks Dale! That is awesome stuff right there. Now if I can just find some free time.... (we've had patio weather lately here in Texas, hard to keep a cold beer out of hand long enough to do anything productive)

Rattle can spraying. Big fun. Primer on a couple of motor mount brackets.

IMG_4298_zpsycf8voke.jpg

While looking for ideas on pintrest for frame/chassis ideas, I stumbled on this great idea:

IMG_1129_zpsovjmqau8.jpg

This guy used pvc tubing to work out his framework. I figured this was a great way to start exploring how we were going to make this thing, AND, it was something "A" and I could both do together.

IMG_4302_zps8snmbrsd.jpg

IMG_4306_zpshvprwhfr.jpg

IMG_4307_zpsjobjwuza.jpg

We didn't make too much progress once we started on the pvc tubing. But that will be for another day. :)

IMG_4324-1_zpsoqmybgwz.jpg

FullSizeRender-1_zpsf53vpgqt.jpg

FullSizeRender-2_zpsyesr5qtv.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpshn2lbtvi.jpg

The airbox aint pretty. Advice needed: Any concerns using a pod on this motor, other than having to re-jet?

IMG_4343_zpsog5fggpi.jpg

I see a future design engineer in the makings here... Look out world, don't buy stock in electric cars just yet haha!

Back
Top Bottom