1977 CB750 cafe racer build

fly2devin

CognitoMoto.com
DTT BOTM WINNER
So I've been working on this bike since January. I use this forum for help but never post so I figured I'd share my build.

I found this bike on Craigslist with 60,000 miles on her running and had a valid inspection. Needed lots of work but that was okay since I was planning to rip it apart.
wo4Y3.jpg

I took some dimension and drew up a rear cowl. Found a fellow on the forum to build it for me
hw9la.jpg

Metalandspeed did a great job and super fast! He sent me daily updates
gXGX3.jpg

kOXkw.jpg

n6tPi.jpg

I purchased a cx500 tank off eBay because I like the shape. Kinda round and has a semi tank dent. I then got out the orbital sander and went to town.
MJqVm.jpg

2hQYR.jpg

I received the tank and laid it out in apt.

rgnfS.jpg

VxMqL.jpg

That weekend I stripped bike a bit and tried out tank and seat.

9LKDw.jpg

tGHWk.jpg

Wife having a seat
3oy18.jpg

ZNuEP.jpg

u1iJm.jpg

At this point it was time to have a friend do some welding for me. I drew up the rear loop filler, oil tank, Electrical box, rear set plates for the CBR rearsets I purchased off ebay. I loaded it into my brothers trooper for a 2.5 hr ride

n9s6k.jpg

I've had issues loading the pictures but I think I got it now. I'll keep loading. If you have questions please ask. I know I'm leaving a lot out.

We cut off the two rear tabs and welded on rear set plates to frame
UGZfj.jpg

We heated the loop and bent it up a bit then welded it on
XJc76.jpg

We had to then cut the rear cowl I had made to match the loop.
T7lwg.jpg

We filled in the loop with a plate

Added the rear tail light bracket.
6S3Sl.jpg

Cut the stock header and added a muffler from Dime city cycles.

Needed to add some material to the seat since the loop pushed it further back.
b2y0Z.jpg

The clip-ons seemed a bit low so I bought a drag bar to try. I just don’t like the look.
oTeOo.jpg

iL9jt.jpg

jX6LM.jpg

Made some drawings for the oil tank, cut them and had them welded up. Cutted original oil tank for fittings and such.
9asUq.jpg

We welded on plates I had made to mount the rear set but I didn’t like the look so I drew up some bolt on plates. I’m an engineer and have CAD and a lazer jet cutter so I was able to draw up anything and have it made relatively quick. I threw them on and moved bike to storage unit for disassembly
YFw7L.jpg

Just some pics
730PV.jpg

HsdYe.jpg

A7BRH.jpg

PNnqq.jpg

G6Z5t.jpg

5fgPq.jpg

Then I took entire bike apart and sent them off for powder coating. I’m rebuilding calipers and wheels since everything had to come apart to be powder coated. I should have frame back Friday. The motor has been cleaned but I’ve decided since it still runs with no issues I will leave it alone. Maybe rebuild it next winter when I hopefully have a garage and not a storage unit to work on it.
XTf2B.jpg

I’m currently wire brushing all of the bolts and debating sending them off for zinc plating.

biker_reject said:
Nice! Love the seat and would like to know where you got that trim you put around the rear seat cowl?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3770/=i5w3qq

It stays good but I would like to find one for the smaller radii.

Does anyone know where to find these tank grips? I found this company called TechSpec that makes the stuff but not sure if they make it custom cut or if Docs Chops custom cut them.
c6e4c89e-7a61-517c.jpg

Look at this on eBay:

TechSpec Gripster Tank Grip Pads - General Sheets

http://bit.ly/Mxwhrc

My bolts all sanded
473e97e7-ad04-50e8.jpg

Wheel parts to be replaced
473e97e7-ad36-8c15.jpg

Brake parts to be cleaned up
473e97e7-ad51-af1a.jpg

xruze56 said:
LOL that totally looks like my bikes twin brother!
2dagd45.jpg

HAHA Wow thats crazy, nice ride. Your seat even has that little bump in the last 1/4. I like the bare metal look but I decided to have mine done flat black and the tank white. i hope to have everything back from coating friday. I'll post pics.

sounds good man. right now I'm working on the performance of the bike then plan on spending a good amount on the look spectrum when winter comes around

So while I'm waiting for parts to come back from powder coating I started order parts
473e97e7-32e3-537d.jpg
swing arm strut bushing

473e97e7-330c-4f4d.jpg
fork wipers

john83 said:
Looks great. What'd you have to do to get that CX tank to mount?

Relocated the front stand offs with rubber bushings then made a grommet screw mount thing for the back. On the back side of the plate that was added there is a screw welded on

Back
Top Bottom