1982 kz440 piston rings

Why do you think you need new rings? Before ordering new rings I would pull the top end apart and inspect and measure the bores to see if it just needs honed or if you need an overbore which would mean oversized pistons and rings.

To answer your question: the only place I have been able to find rings is Ebay. NOS is best but there is someone selling new rings from Japan or Taiwan I believe. They seem to have pretty good reviews. If you need oversized pistons and rings you may get lucky and find them on Ebay too. But you may be better off to either search Craigslist for someone parting out a KZ440 or even a parts bike with a good engine you can swap over.

What diggerdanh said.

a) Find a manual.
b) Adjust valves first. Measure compression, if ok then forget about it. If not, could be valves or piston.
c) Open cylinder, measure bore with a special tool you can probably borrow from somewhere (see youtube for example). If the ovalness is in allowed limits (see manual), you can get new rings only. If cylinder is oval, have the cylinder rebored to +1 size and get the according piston + rings.

Back
Top Bottom