WTB a title!

edakotaford

Need a title/vin plate from pretty much any honda street bike. keep your frame, keep the bike for parts, just need Title and Vin plate.

what do you have and how much do you want for it?
Text me at 425-366-6387

thanks

If you are thinking of changing a frame number to match a title, I would be very cautious. I'm not an attorney and don't know if it's the case, but someone suggested that doing so is a felony. Maybe a good idea to check into all that just in case.

If that's not what you are thinking about doing, please ignore this reply.

Here's a legal way to get a registration for an old vehicle. Briefly, you register the vehicle in Vermont and then use the Vermont registration to register it in your home state.

This works in Massachusetts, I've done it. The only extra cost is the expense of registering the same vehicle twice and paying sales tax twice if you don't wait long enough. In Massachusetts, you have to pay sales tax if the current registration is less than 6 months old.

still... check your individual state requirements- They vary. A lot.

Many states require an actual Title and will not accept a registration from another state .. ( transferable or not)

Know a couple guys in PA that have done it. Best bet is to call your local notary public and ask.

We need a sticky thread that has all of this. Seems to get asked over and over.

Ok this is the Vermont way. It really is the easiest thing possible. Just got on the phone with them. Follow these steps exactly:

1. Go to the VT DMV website and download form TA-VD-119. Print it out and have it in front of you.

2. Call the main office at the VT DMV and tell them that you want to register your bike through the post. They could give a crap you live in a different state. It's pretty much free money for them.

Edit: call the Montpelier location at 802-828-2000. They are very friendly.

3. On the phone, ask them what sections of the form you need to fill out. They will ask you really easy questions to figure out what you're trying to do. Just tell them you're trying to register your motorcycle. They'll tell you from there what to fill out.

4. Tell them the make and model of your bike. They will ask you how much you paid for it. They will look up your bike in a big book of vintage bikes and tell you the book value. They charge you about 6% of that number plus the tag fee. Mine ended up being $96 and some change.

5. Ask them where to mail the form. I can't remember the address off my head.

6. Fill out the form the way they tell you, and all of the sections they tell you to. You will not fill out all the sections most likely.

7. Put the filled out form, a check with the amount they tell you and a copy of your bill of sale in the mail.

8. 5 days later you will receive your plate in the mail. A few days after that you will receive a transferable bill of sale and registration.

They won't provide you a title. That's not what it's about I don't think. They don't title motorcycles over 15 years old or something anyway. They provide you a "transferable registration." You take this to your local DMV, tell them you have a Vermont transferable registration and insurance and "would like to pay your taxes and get your bike registered in your state."

Think of it this way. Someone buys a bike in Vermont and didn't get a title. He/She moves to a title state, goes to the DMV and tries to register in the new state. What are they going to do? Tell him no and that he can't do it? Tell him he has to sell his bike because there is nothing they can do? No, not at all. There has to be a provision. Whether or not your DMV understands this is the problem. One DMV location in my state has no idea what they are doing and feel I'm trying to pull a fast one over on them. Another DMV in the next town is more than happy to do it. Just got to call around and ask questions.

Hope that helps.

Greyson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a note, I have not personally gotten a title in My state this way, but I know this is the way to do it from multiple sources. Just want to get it on paper so people can copy and paste it to answer the question when it comes up.

I do, however have experience with the VT part, just not the transferring it into my state part. Also, you can ride the bike on the road with a VT tag and registration for a year but that's not sustainable so that's why people transfer it into their state.

DeanJ said:

Many states require an actual Title and will not accept a registration from another state .. ( transferable or not)

Not necessarily true. There are provisions in the law. There has to be. Let's say I move to Vermont for work for a couple months and I buy a bike when I'm there. It's old and I don't get a title. I do, however get a VT registration and tag. I move to NC for example where you need a title to prove ownership and to transfer ownership. You go to the DMV and show them all the paperwork you have. What do you think you would say if you followed the laws of your state while in VT and you just want to follow the law in your new state, but they say you can't.

There has to be a provision. That's why the VT method exists because people understand that reality.

Alternatively, I know a guy (not me, so don't PM asking for titles) who bought out an entire salvage yard worth of titles. If you would like to contact him I can provide his email address. That being said, what the two of you work out is between you.

DeanJ said:

1sttimer said:
Not necessarily true. There are provisions in the law. There has to be. Let's say I move to Vermont for work for a couple months and I buy a bike when I'm there. It's old and I don't get a title. I do, however get a VT registration and tag. I move to NC for example where you need a title to prove ownership and to transfer ownership. You go to the DMV and show them all the paperwork you have. What do you think you would say if you followed the laws of your state while in VT and you just want to follow the law in your new state, but they say you can't.

There has to be a provision. That's why the VT method exists because people understand that reality.

Sure there is a "provision" in IL where I live, however it is a cost prohibitive three year bond process if you do not have an actual title, ( and paying for the Vermont process does not yield a title so it is a waste of money ) read about it here:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=55664.msg631283#msg631283

If anyone in IL has a ( legal) scheme that works , please feel free to share that with us.

DeanJ said:
Sure there is a "provision" in IL where I live, however it is a cost prohibitive three year bond process if you do not have an actual title, ( and paying for the Vermont process does not yield a title so it is a waste of money ) read about it here:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=55664.msg631283#msg631283

If anyone in IL has a ( legal) scheme that works , please feel free to share that with us.

I absolutely never said that the Vermont method yielded a title. It gives you a "transferable registration." Your comment is suggestive that the method I am suggesting is illegal which is not the case at all.

Also yes you are right. There is another method to get a title through a bond. However, the vehicle needs to be in inspectable condition. You have to take it to the license and theft bureau and have them run the vin and inspect the vehicle for safety. If you're anything like me, the bikes you buy that don't have titles probably won't pass an inspection, let alone run.

So, herein lies the rub for that method. Do I put money into it to get it inspected and take the risk that some flaw causes me not to be able to get a title and lose all the money I put into it, or do I go the Vermont route where I can get a title IN YOUR STATE (notice I did not say you will receive a VT title) sight unseen?

This shit is state-by-state and even county-by-county. Therein lies the rub for posting these methods on any forum with international membership. Georgia has made it easier to get a title on pre '85 vehicles. Richmond County, where I live, does not require vehicle inspections of any kind. So for me, it's a matter of taking the bike to the county Sheriff and getting the vin plate checked, then taking that form to the DMV with the BOS and some moolah. A title and registration will get mailed to me. The Vermont thing just allows me to submit half the process from my bedroom in a pair of boxer shorts.

deviant said:
This shit is state-by-state and even county-by-county. Therein lies the rub for posting these methods on any forum with international membership. Georgia has made it easier to get a title on pre '85 vehicles. Richmond County, where I live, does not require vehicle inspections of any kind. So for me, it's a matter of taking the bike to the county Sheriff and getting the vin plate checked, then taking that form to the DMV with the BOS and some moolah. A title and registration will get mailed to me. The Vermont thing just allows me to submit half the process from my bedroom in a pair of boxer shorts.

I have tried to talk the woman into moving to Georgia, mainly for this reason :D

The only technique that I know is to buy a frame with matching title - any State will do - and transfer all the rest across to your legal frame.

1sttimer said:
I absolutely never said that the Vermont method yielded a title. It gives you a "transferable registration." Your comment is suggestive that the method I am suggesting is illegal which is not the case at all.

Not at all.. calm down. I was just sharing that in my state a transferable registration is worthless and I asked an open question to all pertaining to an alternative solution for IL ...

No problem here :D totally calm

I get that comment a lot however. It seems that there is a negative connotation to doing the VT route. I have to admit I felt a little sketchy for a bit until I realized that it totally depends on the DMV you call, like Deviant said.

Also, I've had pretty good luck calling around to local dmvs and just playing dumb. That never hurts either. You might get your answer that way? I've had luck

Two other ways of getting a title that are worth looking into as well (again, varying state by state) are bonded titles and abandoned vehicle titles. I've done both (in AZ) but would be surprised if they aren't options elsewhere. The first requires some paperwork, trying to locate the last known owner of the bike, and a bond (I paid $100, they can be cheaper or more expensive, and you can save money by going through your insurance company).

But I also learned that in AZ you can file for an abandoned title. I did this several times for bikes that didn't have titles. There's a form to fill out, and you list a reason why the bike was abandoned for at least 30 days (I always wrote that a former roommate moved out and left it behind and said I could have it). The bike needs to be physically inspected at a DMV, there's a $10 fee, then you get a free and clear and transferrable title.

Again, I realize that rules vary state to state, and some DMVs are easier to deal with than others, but it's worth looking into. And off course if the bike shows up hot for either, it's gonna get seized. Get that title before spending any money on it.

Back
Top Bottom