1957 Sears Allstate/Puch VS50?

ABCanuck

Coast to Coast
I just pulled this little guy out of the back of an old shop at my uncles farm. I was pretty sure I remembered there being an old bike in there. Found this and a honda express 50 moped too but I sold it as it was missing the airboxes and those are worth more than the bike itself! Already had a few guys wanting it from me but my intention is to keep it, restore it, and give it to my wife/daughter to motor around on. Should be a cool little scoot,

Needs a good clean obviously. Once I get the right plug for it(uncle had an old lawn mower plug in it haha) i'll add a little mixture and see if there is any action whatsoever. If anyone knows anything about these little guys, let me know. Would love any and all info. Ive scoured the net for parts and such and there isn't a lot for these but I'm hoping to find what I can. Would love a new seat, new cables, magneto cover(good luck), and a front fender possibly.

I'm also paining over whether to take it back to allstate colors or something factory puch as there are some really gorgeous puch color combinations and to be honest, I don't care for the allstate colors. Anyways, I leave myself in your capable hands. Sorry for the crap iphone pic!

So some good news and some bad news. The good news is, all the major parts I need like a new seat cover, correct taillight, etc can be had from Motor West Motorcycles! Bad news, they aren't cheap.

Double bad news. I was all happy that the motor was free because the pedals flew around no problem. Then I realized the hand shifter was goofy and it was obviously in neutral. Turned it into gear and wala!.......... stuck stuck stuck. Bloody hell.

Time to check if it is seized in the bottom end or top end. I guess it depends if love overrides the time and cash involved in getting it moving again.

I'm working on one with a seized piston and she is soaking in 50% petrol, 50% ATF.

Good luck,
D.

Going to slowly pick away at this thing. I'm 99% sure the top end is stuck as I can run the left hand gear change when operating the pedals. But if you engage the engine drive at all, everything immediately stops. Sprayed some seafoam in the spark plug hole and once I get some time I'll delicately start to take the top end apart.

Were you referring to your jawa Damian?

My daughter is 12 months old tomorrow so I have a little more time haha. But we live on a ranch In a fairly remote area so she'll be on this thing many years before she gets her license.

I'm thinking the manual is going to be invaluable in this little sucker. Can't be too complicated but I don't really know what to expect once I get in there.

Back
Top Bottom