Clark Abalone 14FT Boat. "Alestorm II"

a buddy of mine has a little boat with the 90 yamaha and the yamaha water jet lower unit it runs real nice

and even trolls decent

Re: Clark Abalone 14FT Boat. "Alestorm II"

Brodie said:
Ha I don't have that much cash. I recon I would get a new yamny 4t if I had the cash. They are lighter then most 2t of the same power.

I've always been a yam fan for boat engines.
How have they managed to get the 4 stroke lighter?
I haven't paid attention to boat engines in a while.
Last I looked i test drove a whaler with a 4 stroke and was thoroughly underwhelmed coming from 2 strokes.

Buggered if I know. Their 70hp is 117kg dry.

So I picked the boat up yesterday with a 1988 Johnson 40hp bolted to the back. It ran great and started first time. Once I got it home I tilted the motor down to get the floor back in and gave it a clean up as I went.

But this morning when I decided to clean the gearbox I went to tilt the motor back up and nothing. So I hooked the system up to a jumper pack thinking the battery must be low. Still nothing.

I have come to the conclusion this boat ia cursed and I should sell it and finish my bikes off.

Hopefully the shop I bought it from will replace or fix the tilt motor.

I don't think there is a limit switch on this motor. Once it was down the motor would keep spinning. Same as up. The outboard mech showed me this. The next chance I will get to ask him about it will be next Tuesday. Just started my working week and will be working through his open hours. My guess is that there is some crust built up on the bushes from it sitting in thw workshop for a while. Either that or a dodgy earth. Still disappointed that this happened the day after I picked the boat up.

well you know the deal then have someone hold the button and gently tap the motor if it kicks in you are correct

or does the johnrude have buttons on the motor so you can do it yourself

Nahh no buttons on the side. I will give the tap method a go tomorrow when I have a little time. Thanks for your help Cx.

if the motor does trim as well as trailing (lifting it right out of the water) then there has to be a limit switch for the up on the trim range

other wise when you trimmed the motor on plane you would cavitate or lift the motor out of the water while under way

Well I tapped the side of the motor in a few different spots whist holding the switch. Nothing. So I called the outboard mech and he told me to tap it on the top. She sort of grunted at the first tap but sprung to life progressively faster with each tap. All is well now. Just need to find time to take it out. I have a few days off now but the wind has pickes up quite a bit.

sorry i should have told you to tap it on the bearing cap lol thought everyone knew

Haha I had thought the brushes were at the bottom because of the design on the tilt motor on the force. Well I learnt a lot during that exercise.

Cheers for your help Cx.

Well I ended up rebuilding the trim motor. It had quite a bit of carbon/gunk built up on the armature and gunk on the brushes. One of them was also getting stuck. All is well now.

Apart from the battery going dead on me whilst I was out. I think the outboard might have a charging issue. I am going to install new power wires today as there is a bit of corrosion within the copper core. Just teething issues now.

Ohh and she still leaks like buggery.

brodie

i know you wanted it all aluminum but i have had real good luck with using linex or a realy good spray on truck bed liner

to seal the bottom of some of our riveted aluminum work boats we have 3 years use on them now with out a drop leaked

under severe load and use

we sprayed the bottom till just above the water line and a bit more taped off in the bow as they are often beached in the sand

no algae is sticking to it they stay clean and so far dont have salt stains and look real good

the only prep we did was clean and degrease then a good scrubbing wet with soap and water and a scotchbrite pad

then we scoured them dry with a red coarse scotchbrite pad

I have found a shop that will weld up the outside of the transom for next to nothing. All I have to do is remove all the sillycone. Apparently it is boat welders worst nightmare. So some gasket remover, a stainless wire brush and a few beers should do it.

After I get the outside welded I am going to use some marine sealant to go over the joins on the inside. If she is still leaking after that I will have to use your truck bed method Cx.

As for the battery wire, I am having trouble sourcing tinned wire in the right diameter and amperage. I am thinking I might have to used 125amp stuff rather than the 230amp I bought. See what happens when I get time to work on it. Only two working days left this week and then back in to it.

I forgot to update this thread. I have been having to much fun on the boat!
With the new Johnson 40 fitted this thing flys! Only problem is it has an alarm that goes off about 5 mins after going full throttle. It is a series of fast beeps with a pause in between.
The water out of the telltail is "luke warm" so it isn't overheating. I asked the mech and he gave me a brand new alarm to fit.
Sadly in the past few weeks it has been a standard Queensland summer. Buckets of rain. Ohh and a TS185 fell apart next to the boat.

2, runs like a top as well. 88 model.

and btw if you are getting multi beeps at wide open i would check the level sensor in the vro tank

Back
Top Bottom