new guy with new project

bobfrk

hey everyone, im new to this forum and have a few questions about a couple bikes i might pick up. they are both cb 360s, i think one is a 74 and one is a 72 not sure though. also one is the scrambler. just wondering how available parts are as neither one runs. i think they are minor problems though, like points and the guy thought the coil was bad on one of them. my plan is to make a bobber out of the scrambler and use what i can off the other one, both are pretty complete. also wondering if they are special before i chop them up, i dont want to chop something rare or anything! lol. the only thing keeping me from buying them is one has no hope of getting a title and the scrambler has a title but it will be a hassle to obtain. is it worth the hassle? sorry for all the questions! thanks

First of all, welcome to DTT!

I wouldn't say they are rare at all, regardless of what people on craigslist or ebay seem to think. There's still plenty of parts around for these old bikes, and the motors are really dependable. Like you said, it's probably something small. If you get the chance before you buy them, try to kick it over (not seized) and shift them through the gears. If the seller is really nice, do a compression test too.

thanks! cool forum u all have here! i did have a chance to kick over the scrambler. the other one was still burried in a shed. seemed fine. i have a pic of the scrambler but dont know how to post it but it looks pretty good considering age. any idea what they might b worth? also how might i get around the title problem? ideas?

There's a "how to" in the member introduction are for posting pics.

As far as the value - if they don't run, they are basically parts bikes. I'd start at $250 a piece and see how the guy reacts. What's he asking, anyway?

And titles..... Depending where you're from it can be next to impossible or you can head to the DMV for the paperwork. It all depends on the local laws.

he is trying to get ahold of the guy he got it from to get the title for the scrambler. i think thats my only hope. if he comes through ill be getting them both for $100.

Welcome to DTT bobfrk!

First off, if you can get them both for $100, buy em' even if they dont have titles. You could part them out (if ya feel like putting the time and effort into it) and make a decent chunk of change for sure. If you can get a decent CL(scrambler)360 with a title, and a CB(standard)360 parts bike for a buck, well than sir, that is AWESOME.

Secondly, like BigR said, they arent rare. There was less of the 360 made than some models, but take a look around here. There are plenty still on the road.

And finally, where are you located? That has A LOT to do (as BigR said) with any title issues you may face. Some states dont need them, others (like here in PA) will tell you to go to hell if ya dont have one in your name, signed by 37 witnesses in front of the pope and sealed with a unicorn tear.

Oh ya, because I have to try and hustle all the time... If ya pick the bikes up, do you want to sell me the CL exhaust by chance? Had to ask, thanks.

hey thanks for your help. since they are not rare or anything i would like to chop up th CL if i get a title for it. if that happens i would use the exhaust, however is he cant produce a title i might look for a third 360 with a title and pool all my parts. if i cant do that on the cheap you are first in line for the exhaust. also i live in yankton SD. i stopped by the court house the other day and they said i gotta have a title to be able to licence it so the easyest way to do that is for the guy with them now has to find the guy he got them from and hope he will help us out and file for a lost title. thanks for all your help!

managed to load a pic of the CL for my sig. he has the seat and air box too. what do you all think? im really hoping to get a title

well i decided to buy both bikes. turns out they are both 74 models. also a buddy of mine thinks he can get me a salvage title so i can actually ride it :). does anyone have any tips or mabe a place i can find a wireing diagrahm? first things first im going to try to get the cl running. as i said earlier i plan to make a bobber but i have limited fab skills (probobly wont attempt a hardtail), anyone have any advise where to go with this? im totally new to these bikes and open to budget minded ideas. thanks!

Just got back to reading this - there should be a service manual in the "service manual & tools" section from DTT's home page. It will have the wiring diagram in it.

And VonYinzer posted a couple threads with all the info you'd ever need about bobs / chops. I believe it's in this section...... it's a sticky, I do know that.

thanks very much for the direction. i think i found what i needed. i will work on it this weekend. wish me luck!

Hello and welcome! Lots of helpful folks and useful info here for sure. I think you made a good decision on buying both bikes, especially for $100. The old CB's/CL's can be lots of fun. They're pretty easy to work on, even if you don't have years of fabrication experience or tons of mechanical knowledge. And they can look badass with the right touches too. If you don't want to do a full weld-in hardtail you could always go the bratstyle route; check out wrenchmonkees.com and bratstyle.com for some inspiration.

hey thanks for the sites, ill check them out over the weekend. i hope to get the cl running tonight but the cb is pretty much parts and i dont have a title yet so im not going to spend any money on it till i can get one. the missing title got me $40 off the price of them though! :)

ok i've been trying to get the bike running and all i get is popping fire out the exhaust. this sounds like ignition timming to me but idk. i cant seem to find how to adjust the timming. can anyone help? sorry for all the newb questions but i have zero experience with points and just bikes in general. thanks for your help!

You set the timing by rotating the points plate to the left or right. It won't run at all?

no it wont run. the guy i got it from has been messin with it so god knows how far off they are. all i get is a bang and a flame out the exhaust every few kicks. i pulled the plugs and the spark looks plenty hot. idk. i took some pics of what its goin to look like with some stuff mocked up. just need to load them. thanks!

It is possible to rotate the plate WAY too far one way or another, so pics will help.

Flame out the exhaust? Wowzers. Way too much gas in the cylinders. Try setting the timing by rotating the crank by hand and actually see where the plugs create a spark. You'll have to pull the gen cover off the left side of the motor.

Back
Top Bottom