Another Yamaha SR 250 Tracker project UK

youmustcomply

Hello,

I have been lurking for quite some time and have decided to start a project thread. Tips / suggestions all happily received.

I bought a 1980 Yamaha SR250 off ebay to start my Tracker project which I have been inspired by so many on this forum.

I have stripped her down and have started slowly building her back up. I will get some pictures up soon. I hope to have it completed by June/July 2015.

Thanks

which carb did you go with. stock or something else? seat choices?dont be dropping hints with no pics!

Okay here are the promised pictures. Sorry for the delay.

Here was the bike as I picked her up. 1980, 4500miles MOT till March 2015 however no clutch.

Strip down commence after starting her up and thinking she runs pretty sweet, however it's one hell of an ugly bike!

Almost done

So then the de-tabbing started and cutting down the rear ready for a hoop to be welded on..

Hoop has been welded on, slightly wider than the original frame. I was not keen at first, however it's grown on me a lot.

I love this picture, and I am not 100% sure why. Painting was just a can of hammerite I had as I struggled visualising it with the welds standing out like a sore thumb.

Started working on the seat. This was a sheet of aluminium I have been working in to fit.

Pretty happy with this now after removing tiny bits of metal over several hours

Today has consisted of rebuilding the front forks. The lowers have been sanded back with 240grit paper and then roughly polished. I like the not perfect finish. I then lacquered them with 3 coats to protect them. Rebuilt with pyramid oil seals, yamaha dust seals and 10w Rock oil.

Next step is to start building the bike back up roughly to work out some of the fine details (battery, indicators, mud guard, number plate, brake light etc) then it will be stripped back again. Frame will be powdercoated and some of the smaller parts. Engine will be painted black with PJ1 satin black with the fins exposed.

Biggest problem at the moment is that the bike came with the wrong fuel tank which I am still trying to find an original.

Back
Top Bottom