1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler

rekidiw said:
alright thanks for that. if youre running the same carbs/floats and all that as me thats a pretty high fuel level! could be some different stuff though. it seems there are about 3 different settings for the gs450. i think that would be around a 3.5mm fuel level. Im currently at 26.6 with a 6.5mm fuel level. not sure what that means exactly but ive been fighting finding the best height since the manuals are all mixed up..so thanks i may try raising mine a bit. I was thinking that would be way too high but you seem to be running fine on that.
Yeah, I remember there being a lot of differing information on float height for our 450's. Mine was set to 23.4 mm when I opened it up originally, and then I tried 26.3 mm for awhile based on some info I read somewhere but didn't have much luck, so reverted back to 23.4 mm.

I've gotten a few requests for more detail on how I leveled or re-mounted the tank on the L to get rid of the rake so I'm attaching another angle to hopefully better describe the changes.

There is another photo here with: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70280.msg826423#msg826423

Basically, for the front mount I cut off the factory mounts. Then I used some metal rod the same diameter as the factory mount and welded a washer on each side so the rubber dampers the tank contacts could be re-used. That rod was welded just under the frame gusset.

For the rear mount, I cut the factory mount out from the frame rails and used tow pieces of bar stock to "lift" the mount. Hope this helps shed a little more light.

Attachments

• GS450L Tank Mount.png
    GS450L Tank Mount.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 403
Hey man just wanted to say your thread has been very helpful. I'm just east of you over in Woodbury, MN so its cool to see someone representing the gs450 so close by. I'm just starting to put mine back together and already realized I forgot to order the dust seals :mad:. I think the E model gas tank is gonna make for a really cool cafe if I can do it.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 331
Hey man just wanted to say your thread has been very helpful. I'm just east of you over in Woodbury, MN so its cool to see someone representing the gs450 so close by. I'm just starting to put mine back together and already realized I forgot to order the dust seals :mad:. I think the E model gas tank is gonna make for a really cool cafe if I can do it.

Hey nice to hear from you! Glad to hear the build has been helpful. You're almost a stone's throw away from me St. Paul. I actually work over in Woodbury (well did before Covid.)

I'm pretty jealous of the "E" gas tank. Your build is going to look awesome. Loving the blue. Hope to see your bike out and about in person some day soon.

Back
Top Bottom