The "Bomber" GL1100 project - added video

Miffa, I never wear those outside of the closet! ;D
Working on those front forks...still. My stancions are more rust than metal and need replaced.
I wasted a lot of time searching here stateside for a resonably priced fork seal holder removal tool, then those good Mates over on Britbike.com showed me to make a DIY one out of 1 1/4" Black iron pipe.
Then the bottom fell out of the thermometer here.
Good to have you back!

Do you get hassled for your plate being at such an extreme angle ever?

Did you just paint your Comstar wheels or are they just blasted?

My fathers Harley is big and purple, he gets ribbed bout it all the time too. They say it takes balls to ride a purple bike...

HD only did 3 purple paint jobs, that will some day be worth a bunch of scratch, i dig it,in some ligh my HD looks purple, I dig odd colors

JRK5892 said:
really really dig the fairing on there!
Thanks Pal... hows your GL's doin? Still that beautiful Red one and your Brothers Shrek?? ;)

TheJester said:
Do you get hassled for your plate being at such an extreme angle ever?

Did you just paint your Comstar wheels or are they just blasted?
Nope, no hassles over the plate angle, I worried in the beginning but have had cops behind me and been riding it 4 years with no citations yet... ::)
Those wheels are sanded and painted with Duplicolors Wheel Coatings silver and clear coat. The CB750C got the strip and polished Comstars treatment.

JRK5892 said:
HD only did 3 purple paint jobs, that will some day be worth a bunch of scratch, i dig it,in some ligh my HD looks purple, I dig odd colors
Yea same thing with the pearl white, very rare colour in the HD world.

So funny thing, a 1980 GL1100 followed me home tonight... This is going to be an interesting project.

Any suggestions on places for info on them?

Thanks! Ill be sure to join up and holler if I need anything. What is your user name there?

The price was right, and it needs work, so I dont feel bad chopping it a bit.

Kind of a sad story behind it though, Father and son project, the son died of cancer at 17 before they could get anythign major done with it.

The fellow selling is a real decent guy.

I am Hoosier Daddy or Hoosier_Daddy on every forum I am a member of. Haven't been on NGWClub in quite some time though. Damn bike is so dependable I hardley ever have a need to check in!
Sad that you got the bike with those circumstances but at least it will get some attention now. Don't feel bad about cutting up and 'oldWing (unless it's a first year '75) as they made millions! Our 1100's are plentiful.
Best advise I can give you is to m,ake sure the timing belts are new. If in doubt, replace them. These are interferance engines and if a belt breaks the piston can contact a valve that happens to be open... Game Over!

Good to know, I didnt think there was anything special about the thing, but I have issues chopping something that is in mint shape, Id rather pass it along to someone who would appreciate it as such.

I have been an auto tech for enough years to see my fair share of cars hauled off for scrap when the timing belts break and cause catastrophic engine damage. I like timing belts, simple, cheap, quiet, no maintenance. Unlike the chain in the CX500, there is an expensive bit of maintenance.

When I get the heap hope Ill take some pictures and start a thread. Dont expect anything soon though, I have the CX500 to finish first.

Hey HD, thanks for the PM.

I came over here to spend a few hours drooling over your GL build thread and NO PICTURES!!!!

It was instant heartbreak!

However, while on this topic. I was talking to me dad tonight and I asked him if our mutual friend still had his Goldwing. My dad gave me a funny look (as if to wonder why a young buck like me would show interest in an old man's ride) and then said he did still have it. Its in a barn and very early 80s and hasn't been ridden for at least ten years. However, the mutual friend is a very good mechanic by trade and career so I know it ran well. He just gained a bunch of weight and lost interest. I am going to slyly and quietly inquire as to the condition of the bike. I think it is a GL1100.

Its really a dumb idea... I have two other projects on the go, but might try to snag it for cheap and let it sit for a while in my barn! I totally love the look of the big bikes all trimmed down and naked. GORGEOUS. Something about those flat engines... yummy.

I feel I an addiction developing.... good thing I have a huge barn to store all this stuff in. Will let you know what transpires!

HR

Back
Top Bottom