68 CL175 Project Vicarious

Re: 68 Honda CL175

I watched footloose last night & Im pretty sure Bacon was shredding on a scrambler!! Whoot.

Lookin good brother. We have to get all us WestPenn guys together in the spring for a ride!

Re: CL175 "Blue Bomber?"

I just realized how much it sucks to look at this project thread and not see any differences. But it looks like my life is giving me a chance to work in the garage again. Let me just start with Curbcast: as much as I hate that movie I am gonna have to watch it again just to check out that Scrambler. Thanks a freakin lot ;)

I talked to RocCityCafe about some clip ons and let me say that guy deserves every bit of business he gets. Real stand-up character.

I've decided to say "Screw waiting for the snow", I'm working on this thing now! Got a lot done in the past 2 days. After pulling the tank and the seat, this is what I started with (again)
IMGP2656.jpg

A couple years ago I bought a deer gambrel and figured out all the hardware I would need to put it up. Rated at 440 pounds so it's real nice if you have a light enough bike
IMGP2664.jpg

I want to leave the frame rolling stock for now since I started tearing the motor apart to clean it up. Ordered some new gaskets and a new kick start lever since mine snapped and had it welded solid. The only pain is the kickstand is mounted to the motor on mine. Nothing a few jackstands can't handle.

IMGP2669.jpg

So I do have the motor pulled again and waiting for parts - again. Once I get the gaskets and put the motor back together I'll be soda-blasting and re-painting it. After the motor is back together it will be time to sand-blast the frame and re-paint it. After I grind some crap off and weld up a new battery box.

I know it's taking me forever to get nowhere but I'm the kind of person that has to see something DONE before I do it myself and commit to it. The newest "toy bike" actually has some plans in the making though.

Right on. Im tempted to get my stuff soda blasted. Takes so long prepping to paint. 3 hours last night on one rim, & Im still not done

Keep it up!

Well no updated pics but I did start soda blasting the motor. It's amazing how much crap that rips off! The only thing more amazing how much of a mess the dust makes. Luckily I got to do it at work so it blends in with the mess there.

I'm kinda stuck on what colors I want the motor to be. I was thinking VHT cast iron or their semi gloss black for the block and polished side covers. I dunno. Figure it out before the end of the day.

I think Boingk might have a good point about the bars.
Huh? I was right about something? Go figure :D

This is coming along well, gotta say I really admire the frame geometry on these 175's. Don't worry about your progress either, at least you can actually ride the thing when you're done! My GS needs indicators and headlight wired up, then its pretty much read for the road....but I don't get the licence upgrade until May! AHHH!

The soda blasting should be a charm, only thing I'd recommend to clean up a blower-vac. Those things rock, have one up in my garage. Been griding, sanding, whatever - plug that sucker in and open a door! Easy as pie.

Cheers - boingk

Yeah Boingk, worse comes to worse, I can put some kind of low rise bars in them.

Thats classic Man Tools 101: Shop-Vacs! My wife couldn't understand why I wanted 2, 1 for the garage and 1 for the basement.

I did make some progress today. Got everything else off the frame except the tree. Ground off some tabs, but not all of them. And I got a little battery tray welded up but I'm kinda leery about how it will work with a new seat. Probably sandblast the frame + lay some paint tomorrow. No pics today, forgot the wife has a doctors appointment so that's where I'm at now. Yay

No blasting and painting today. Heading out to Ohio with my bro in law to pick up his kids for Christmas.

But when I was grinding the tabs and stuff I left the 2 for a side panel. I'm not putting originals back on but I def want to put SOMEthing on. Any suggestions? I was thinking either solid plastic panels w/ metal mesh or clear plastic with some window tint.

True, but I was thinking a little more subtle. Notice the way the frame makes a little triangle in that section of the last pic? I was thinking of covering up that whole area with something and incorporating the year or cc's into it. Or maybe even a Honda wing or somethin

Wow, I keep looking at those pics and my garage is a damn rat's nest.

Maybe just a flat piece of Aluminum cut to whatever shape you like and finished to your taste :-\

I tried a flat pc of aluminum, didn't like it. Made it look to "busy" for a lack of a better term. I think I read somewhere that a strong crossbreeze could actually make these 175's sputter a little bit with an exposed air filter ???

I'm sure I'll figure something out

I think if you cut a flat piece of metal the same basic shape as the original side cover then put the "CC" number or "year" or whatever on it it would look like a race bike number plate but blend in well with the frame. would look pretty good! If you want to eliminate the "busy" leave it open?

Hey I'm half crocked! Merry Christmas!! ;D

Actually, you and VonYinzer might be on to something..... maybe I'll mock something up tomorrow if I get the chance.

I'll drink to that! Festivus for the rest of us!

Big R said:
One is black that is powered through the ignition switch somehow but the other is yellow w/red stripe. So I'm thinking from the color of the yellow/red that it should have something to do with the generator/regulator but it's not showing any power on the multi-meter and the bike runs fine without it. The thing that bugs me is that I know at one point in time it served a purpose - and it's not on the diagram anywere. Whatever

Yellow/red would have power if you had electric start.

PJ

if you want a tinted plastic. You can get a bronze tinted plexi & glass cutting shops. I was thinking of making a helmet visor out of it. Its super sexy & sleek.

Go to a metal shop & check out all the cool expanded metal they have. Do honeycomb or something.

PJ - thanks for clearing that up. Figured it had to be something important just from the colors of the wire but I never thought of the electric start (which obviously I don't have)

So I did get a chance to sneak out to the garage during all of the festivities and lay out an idea about the plastic side panel.

IMG00526.jpg

Please excuse the doodling on the plastic, just trying to figure out where the shape could be. And the "175" was just scribbled with a sharpie. I still have a lot of work to do before I get to finalizing anything but the idea is there. Maybe instead of the tinted panel with the #'s clear do it the opposite way. Clear panel and tinted numbers - kind of give it a floating effect while protecting the air filter a little too.

Please allow me to pout for a minute. I just cannot get anything done on this project. Had all freakin day (first time in weeks) to work on it. Started sandblasting the frame and poof! Ice clogged up my air compressor! Got the heaters workin all night on this one.

Wah,wah,boo-hoo,sniff-sniff

Happy New Years everybody! Thank God for designated drivers.

lookin cool! the 60s cl tanks always look like theyd make great cafe tanks with their squarish tanks and knee pads.
i didnt see the plexiglass in the pic and said "why did that guy write a big 175 on his garage door?"

Back
Top Bottom