'77 CJ360T (Café SOS) - Calling it Done (for now...)

Re: '77 CJ360T Café Build

To me thats like a barbie doll for 'tough' guys. "Hmm what shirt does barbie want to wear today?" Accessorise... hahaha :eek:

Re: '77 CJ360T Café Build

That speedo looks great, man. Good to see someone making some progress. ;)

Re: '77 CJ360T (Café SOS)

Got some more work done on the bike today... LEDs arrived from China and so my speedo can now go into the done pile.

I also took apart the tach and I'm cleaning it up. I'm going to make some more backing graphics for both the speedo and the tach and see if I can't sell a few. If anyone's interested, please let me know.

OK...more stuff done today (been trying to make the most of this three-day weekend).

I've chopped more of the frame. I removed the back section of the frame where the seat used to mount. I also spent about three hours giving every nut, bolt, and washer the wire wheel treatment.

Finally, I stripped the paint from one of the forks and plan to do the other, tomorrow.
file.php

file.php

And I've finally started on stripping the tank.... I have the top mostly done. I still need to spend a bit of time with the dremel to get some of the hard-to-reach places, but I'm fairly pleased so far. Looks like this isn't the first time it's been done though. I'm able to see a few spots of filler where a previous owner must have smoothed it out.

For anyone else who hasn't done this before and doesn't want to learn the hard way: Wear gloves when applying paint stripper and removing stripped paint. That stuff stings like a mofo when you get it on your skin.

For anyone else who has done this before: Any tips on stripping the bottom of the tank? It's a very irregular shape..
icon_e_sad.gif

I also stripped the other fork yesterday. Still a few spots that will need some dremel attention on that as well.

Attachments

• IMG_002.jpg
    IMG_002.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 308

Are you going to keep the factory gas cap and lid?

I don't care much for the lid, but I'm still kicking around ideas for how to deal with it.

I'm keeping the cap, but losing the lid. I've already ground off the mounts for the lid and I'm planning on filling it in with bondo. I'm hoping to make it as flush as possible with the stock cap (which has already been polished).

Weld a bung into the recess with enough throat to accomodate bondoing the recess flat... Thoughts?
-Slice

Not a bad plan. If I can get my hands on a welder I may just do that.

how thick would that bondo hafta be?... 3/8" or so?... it's gonna crack & fall out... i think you'd be better off cutting the recessed rectangle out(where the door was), leaving just an 1/8" recess around the edges to lay a new, flat plate in & weld to... in the process, cut the bung out of the scrap rectagle(again, leaving a 1/8" lip around it), holesaw the new plate so the old bung will slide in, then weld it all up... it wouldn't be that hard if you got your hands on a mig for a few hours... and if you do this, mind your heat, don't warp it... lotsa spot welds.

If done correctly, the bondo should be more than sufficient however you do run a risk with bondo that can be avoided entirely with Locks suggestions...
My take is still bondo... But thats just me, I would personally be very suprised if it cracked on you.

LOCKARD666 said:
how thick would that bondo hafta be?... 3/8" or so?... it's gonna crack & fall out... i think you'd be better off cutting the recessed rectangle out(where the door was), leaving just an 1/8" recess around the edges to lay a new, flat plate in & weld to... in the process, cut the bung out of the scrap rectagle(again, leaving a 1/8" lip around it), holesaw the new plate so the old bung will slide in, then weld it all up... it wouldn't be that hard if you got your hands on a mig for a few hours... and if you do this, mind your heat, don't warp it... lotsa spot welds.

Use Bondo 'angel hair' filler
I filled tank badge 'holes'/recess on my XS650 about 7 yrs ago and it's still fine

Thanks for the tips, guys. This is the first time I've done anything like this (I love jumping in on the "deep end") and your feedback has been very useful.

Crazy PJ has the right idea... Bingo! ;)

Sonreir - I just picked up a CJ360T with a friend a week ago, im sure you will have company as he will be posting his soon too!

-Slice
crazypj said:
I filled tank badge 'holes'/recess on my XS650 about 7 yrs ago and it's still fine

Sweet. I know indiesol and I both have one, but I wasn't sure about anyone else.

crazypj said:

i stand corrected... i never thought about the fiber type fillers... i guess i just like to weld stuff.

Back
Top Bottom