Ground Resistance

CresentSon

Over 1,000 Posts
I need aesthetic advice. I have been plugging away in photoshop and I have narrowed the possibilities. Just some quick details:

- I plan on using fiberglass.
- I want it to look tough, not just racy.
- I want texture so I plan on using bed liner or hammered finish paint.
- I named it 'Filthy Beast', but I am not going for a ratbike.

With that in mind I open the floor for opinions and creative suggestions.....

Re: CB750-F3 'Filthy Beast'

Here is #6 with some of the details I'm after; Chrome studs, flat sidecovers, dragbars, under tail mounted lights, and low profile winkers.

but with lower bars, perhaps superbike style.

I plan on drag bars whatever I do with it. The images with the stock bars were the first I did, I was just too lazy to go back retrofit the earlier drawings.

Here is 3 up close...

So we got #3, no studs on side cover.....

Anything else? Keep it coming!

I added the bed liner and exhaust wrap. What next?

no chain guard, upside-down front forks from a newer CBR. For me, the only rat style bikes that look good are stret fighters. Rat style 70s bikes just look old. My 2 cents, keep us updated

Dude that's looking sick already!

I agree with losing the chain guards. How about some different headlight ears and maybe a drilled front rotor?

Ultimately it's your decision so make it as you like!

goodfornothing said:
Dude that's looking sick already!

I agree with losing the chain guards. How about some different headlight ears and maybe a drilled front rotor?

Ultimately it's your decision so make it as you like!

I'm pretty sure I'm not losing any originality or personality here, I just want to see what the hive brain comes up with. I'll keep what I like/can afford, but as a newb my eyes aren't trained in on the details yet.

gribbs said:
no chain guard, upside-down front forks from a newer CBR. For me, the only rat style bikes that look good are street fighters. Rat style 70s bikes just look old. My 2 cents, keep us updated

I plan on rough styling, but i am not looking to rat this thing. I picture a cafe racer meets Exile Cycles with brushed aluminum, low sheen finishes, and still showroom clean. I just like the solid industrial look.

CresentSon said:
I plan on rough styling, but i am not looking to rat this thing. I picture a cafe racer meets Exile Cycles with brushed aluminum, low sheen finishes, and still showroom clean. I just like the solid industrial look.

Alright! A man with a great sense of style.

I like the drilled rotor, plus should be fun to do. The chain guard is a necessary evil here in TX, and since I'm a cop and will be driving this thing to work, I decided just to speed hole it and chop it. The headlight mount is off a '76 F snotter I just picked up. It mounts to the upper triple without touching the forks... ...cool! I like the minimalist look of it, but it will require lowering the tach and speedo which I really like. I also did away with the black tube on the front fork, think I'll brush 'em.

That just leaves:

Cases - brushed (beaded), black, or more likely brushed with black accents?
Shocks - brushed with black springs or black with polished?
Carbs - I think I'll bead blast.

I also plan on pods, just to lose the rubber factory v-stacks...

You've got some mad photoshop skills. I'm digging that chopped chain guard. The whole look of the bike is really coming along, looking forward to seeing it come together for real.

Jay

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the 100% coverage side-covers. Makes it look like you're trying to cover up a bunch of ugliness - kind of Goldwingish.

Tim said:
Personally I'm not a huge fan of the 100% coverage side-covers. Makes it look like you're trying to cover up a bunch of ugliness - kind of Goldwingish.

I can agree with that, but the other option is relocating the oil tank, electrics, and battery. The last two aren't such a big deal, but I cant lay down the cash just yet on a custom oil tank. Another option is to cut a shape into the panel and screen back it. I thought of a shield knot, or some other symbol. Just not a spade though, looks cool but not my thing. I toss some ideas out when I get home today. I could also suspend a shaped panel in there, but that is a whole other animal... :)

I dig #3. The lines flow really well, especially towards the back.

Here's what I did to my F2 in photoshop... Funny that you mentioned that you wanted a different oil tank, and remounted battery and electronics. That's exactly where I'm going with mine. BCR parts are in transit as we speak. All I need is a sealed R-1 battery, a wiring harness and some chopping/grinding/welding time. Then it's off to paint. Not to mention all the performance mods alongside the cosmetic. Another month and a few cringes to the empty pocket books, and we'll be good to go ;D

after-525x393.jpg

I think you should transition your time away from the PC and into the garage to do real work. You can do ideation sessions ad nauseum, but it doesn't really matter until you transfer the ideas onto the bike. It's good to have a plan, but it's better to make it happen, ya know?

--Chris

chrisf said:
I think you should transition your time away from the PC and into the garage to do real work. You can do ideation sessions ad nauseum, but it doesn't really matter until you transfer the ideas onto the bike. It's good to have a plan, but it's better to make it happen, ya know?

--Chris

Sorry in advance if I sniped this thread :)

Ideation sessions help out a ton, and I'm sure it didn't take CrescentSon more than a couple hours for these mockups, as mine took around 2-3 to get it just the way I wanted. I'd rather spend a fraction of time in Photoshop and gather inspiration from others to get a general direction, than waste time and money on parts that may not be suitable for what I'm going for.

If it did take more than a couple hours, get in the garage and wrench already!! ;D

Chris,
How do you know the changes aren't happening on the bike???

It really doesn't take long in photoshop and it helps me visualize. About 1 - 2 hours on initial mock-up, and each additional shot take 10 mins. The main issues keeping me in the design phase are:

1. I'm moving next week so tools and parts are packed up.... :(
2. I don't have trained eyes, so having a plan is crucial. Plus it keeps me motivated.
3. I have to get parts and tools lined up, so knowing where I'm going determines where I am.
4. I like playing with photoshop when I can't get in my shop.

One might also say my time spent on DTT is a waste, but I have learned the little I know from this and other similar sites. I gain just as much knowledge from the mock-up process as reading and asking questions. Just because I'm not as advanced in all of this, doesn't mean my time spent is any less valid... But i do respect the ideas I see you contribute, and I'm always willing to learn.

Hey Raf,

I've been watching your build too. Can't wait to see that thing finished. Much cred man. 8)

Back
Top Bottom