Ground Resistance

Re: CB750-F3 'Filthy Beast' Now with PROGRESS!

CresentSon said:
Now that's what I'm talking 'bout... THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

I definitely likey. you may have just sold me on blacking the fender and brushing the lowers. What year/model is she? pipes and wheels look a lot like my '76-F organ doner.

Very nicely done.

Thanks,

It was a 76 F

Pipes are the stock 4-1 with a pepboys chrome tip-no baffle!!!!!

tWistedWheelz said:
Looking good, I love the bulky look of the 750. That why I am dead set on building one! The progress you have made looks great,it has an almost rat look but cleaner, it's looking mean. I noticed you have no side cover on in that shot, what are your plans there? Stock side covers/no side covers/ different side covers and will you be going with a logo on them as early talked about? Which one? Waiting to see! Good luck!

Definitely building side covers from scratch. I have a few Ideas, but that is down the line quite a ways. I'm leaning towards fiberglass, bed liner coated, and either logo cut into it and screen backed or placing custom badges over them. I'm testing ideas in the lounge as we speak, type, whatever.

I wish I could do a custom oil bag, then I'd move the electrics and go without covers.

As we say in TX, Ain't gonna happen no how!

I have looked into fabricating a bag with the guts from an extra stock tank, but I do not currently have the means for that either. If I can pull off what is in my head it should be pretty clean, so I'm not stressing.

Looks great!

I am trying to solve some of the same issues with my side covers. I don't like the look of the 750F covers, not to mention I sold mine thinking I was going to open everything up behind the engine. That is not going to happen now. I do like the rounder look of the 750Ks side covers. Do you know if they fit the 750Fs? If not, then I am making side covers too. That should be interesting.

Bikes looks great, keep up the good work.

I have no idea on the fitment brother, but I have a K and an F book so I can find out.

Thanks for the boost, hopefully I can turn this back into a bike.

Its a no go on the k's covers msimm. I found jack that would be useful in my books but after some research and a quick call to my guru from back around Austin and it isn't looking good. Doesn't mean you couldn't fab something or caress the k's a bit.

I thought that would be the case. On a long shot, I checked to see if my Bonneville side covers would fit. Not even close. I guess if it was easy, then everybody would do it ;D

Keep up the good work. You are motivating me finish setting up my garage (i just moved) and get back to work.

Cheers
Matt

Yeah it felt like it had been years since i had touched it after our move. I finally just decided to make a list of the smaller tasks and start on what I could. Once I went out to start, it just snowballed. I was gonna try to stick with just the little items, but I realized there was plenty I could be doing while waiting on the funds to come through. I suppose I just had to get myself kick started! I'll hit it hard again this after noon.

I think I'm pretty close on my logo, tell me what you think. I'm not digging on the wrenches, but I can see it cut out of sheet metal or diamond plate with he rough edges and such.

I didnt like the f side covers either, I made a K model oil tank fit and run with no cover on that side. K style cover on the left.

3868520747_7d21dfdd60.jpg

How much went into getting the K model oil tank to fit? I was going to try and leave everything open behind the engine (move the battery and oil tank) but after a while I felt that it took away from the solid look that I really like about the 750s.

I like this version of the logo the best. I agree that I would take pistons over wrenches.

Got something done this weekend. It has been pretty hectic around here, but I managed to get a little going. I have been sanding and prepping quite a bit, and I also found the bed liner I'll be using. I really like the finish. The texture is closer to a sanded finish than the real heavy texture I was expecting. Looks tough as handmade nails.

I hit the rear tins, and bottom clock buckets. This stuff goes on super easy, and seems like it will last. Time will tell. In the mean time I have to finish sanding on the frame (wish I could blast it, but still saving for a proper rig), and coat it up. Next goes the tank, springs, and headlight housings. Might go ahead and drill the chain guard and hit it too. I like the finish so much I'm fighting the urge not to spray anything that doesn't require high temp. Might throw in the fork lowers too, but I'll wait till I get the rest done and do a mock up.

In the mean time, just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

Got the chain guard sorted out. I did not have large enough drill bits so I had to shape the holes individually with a rotary rasp after initial drilling. I think they came out alright. Do not think I'll be doing a lot of the speed hole-ing though. I like the look, I just don't want to over do it. Next step is to finish the bed liner application in progress (pics to come).

If you cut those 750 tanks open, there is plenty of room for an oil tank in there. That would really open the bike up quite a bit.

--Chris

Now there is an interesting idea I'll definitely have to look into. Cost would ultimately be the deciding factor though. I'd have to see how much it would cost to have someone weld it. I don't think I'd have a problem cobbling the project together but I don't have welding capability or know how. I plan on experimenting with the internals of a spare stock oil tank at some point.

I am interested to see how I would solve the problem of side covers though. Ultimately I just want to see what I'm capable of, with what I have to work with. I should be fiscally much better off after Christmas, and I think that will help the creative process infinitely.

Thanks, I really appreciate the input. I enjoy the way you always have that idea to challenge the builder to take the next step. Much props.

One more night on the job and I'll be looking at a couple of productive days so stay tuned!

Progress report.

I stripped the clocks down, and prepped them and the tank for paint. I won't get around to painting for a while as it is cold and wet here. I did some more grinding on the frame, because I talked myself into living without the center stand. And I am preparing to start ripping the wheels down to prep/paint the fork lowers, wheels, and swing arm.

I also started tinkering with the seat. I shaved the stock foam as close to level as I can, and attached a rear support a la Sausage Mahoney. The finished product should tide me over temporarily. My plan is to get the serious chores done first, get this thing back on the road, and then hit the cosmetic aspects one at a time. I don't want to go with the stock pan permanently because it is too darn wide and can't accommodate the rear hoop and bump stop I have in mind.

I do like the look of the seat so far. I rough shaped it with knives, and then took a drill mounted 5" sanding disk I got from Wal-mart to it. It smoothed great with 80 grit. I hope to have the seat cover going today, but I can't decide how to attach it to the pan. A lot of the barbs are broken or missing. I thought about industrial Velcro but that sounds iffy. I had also considered riveting aluminum carpet strips to the underside or putting eyelets around the hem. The last resort is snaps all the way around. It is a cool look, just not what I'm picturing.

What has worked in the past for you guys?

Re: CB750-F3 'Filthy Beast' Seat Option

I am afraid that the rear shot isn't what I had in mind. I'm trying to use the stock rear brace, so i don't want to cut the rails down much further. The problem is that they muck up my rear.

The other option is to add a longer support, which i tried but am not real big on.

The first shot is as it sits. The second was taped off to show what would be visible. The last two are before I cut an additional 3" off and shortened the 'support'. I guess I could use the longer support to hide more, but that means more bracing and metal work on the rear of the pan. With the shorter support I plan on stretching heavy canvas across the gap, but I wouldn't be as willing with the larger space to cover.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Attachments

• DSCF0022.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 371

Going back to what Chris was mentioning about the remounted oil tank, I may steal a page from the Wrench Monkees book and integrate the oil tank into the cowl.

monk11_01.jpg

One of the sickest damn 750's I've seen...

I do like that bike. I wish I had the bank roll to pull it off though. I have looked into building and hiding an oil bag using stock bits, but that will be a down the road kinda project. I do have a small mig welder back in Houston but I don't even know enough to be dangerous. Hell I don't even know if the little wire fed guy would be able to do the job.

Overall plan is to smooth the rough edges, make it preform, and get it on the road. Any project that doesn't have to be done during the full tear down can wait. I'll have to retrieve my welder from my Dad and get some real book learnin' in before I tackle that kind of task.

Then again for the cost of learning and fabing I could save up and buy/commission a custom bag down the road, but where is the fun in that!

Hey man, a mucked up rear is no good at all. How about instead of canvas just cover it (the part taped off) in fiberglass and paint it with the same paint you've been using. Then intergrate the seat to fit. It could look like it is all part of the seat?? Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom