Re: Yamaha xs400 (Tracker/dual sport) VIDEO!

Re: Yamaha xs400 (Tracker/dual sport)

MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
I spent about two hours tonight working on the bike. I put the engine back in and bolted everything nice and tight. I had to make a few custom engine mounting bolts on the lathe. The stock bolts didn't fit due to my new mounting points. Everything is lining up good...........so far. I also started de-tabing the frame. I didn't go to crazy with the grinder because I'm not sure exactly what direction I'm going. Do I want to go with the more modern dual sport look? Do I want it to look like a tracker? Or do I want it to have the vintage motocross/scrambler bike look? I just cant decide. TO MANY CHOICES!!

You wanna go vintage... especially if you do the Metisse style pipes... just wouldn't be right otherwise :D

If you go pipes down under the engine and up under the seat, you want the modern dual sport look...

I'm not dead! I just picked up some more tubing today. I plan on working on the seat design and frame tomorrow. I am searching for a possible disc brake conversion for the rear.

I hacked off the rest of the old frame. I was going to start welding the new hoop and seat in place but I wanted to take some time to think of how I want the seat/tail and rear fender to flow. Does anyone have any good ideas? I was throwing around the idea of using a very short & flat seat and a "hugger" fender just above the rear tire. I also set the exhaust in place. I am going to have to make some shorter pipes to clear the fender/wheel. (You were right, Pete) It looks like my frame hangs low enough to protect the exhaust.
DSC_0070-1.jpg
DSC_0075.jpg
DSC_0074.jpg
DSC_0073-1.jpg
DSC_0072-1.jpg
DSC_0076.jpg

I think your seat section should be kinda short, i think itd look awesome! but id make sure its funtional and comfertable enough to off road it (not being squished to the front)

Looking real good. Your welds will hold for sure. Good job! Really like how this is turning out.
Just a small suggestion regarding your exhaust. I like the idea of tucking them under the plate, but I've never really been a fan of all that heat under the engine. Just me I guess. Off to the side like you have it is prob the best way. If you look at the picture of the inspirational bike on page 4, you'll see that he is using same size wheels on front and back. If you could do same, you could prob get away with using those pipes. Good luck with build, I'll be tuning in now for sure.

Mate I love the stance! You should be able to do a bit of a subframe there to support a suitable seat like Jello says :)

Bummer on the pipes, but if you do go for a smaller front rim like Interceptor suggested then that could solve the problem.

Just do yourself a favour though and if you're gonna run dual sport tyres make sure whatever rim size you get lets you get a reasonably matched pair of tyres front and back.

I had a huge amount of pain tracking down dual sports for the 450 due to the skinny 18" rims front and rear, ended up with a Pirelli Scorpion Trail on the front and Pirelli Scorpion MT90A/T on the rear. Shinko 244's would've worked but I couldn't find anyone here who stocks them...

it's all in the sub frame! I'd make some mounts so you can workshop a selection and no be committed by welding on fixed tubing. Sweet.

Erskine said:
it's all in the sub frame! I'd make some mounts so you can workshop a selection and no be committed by welding on fixed tubing. Sweet.

Now that sounds like a sensible idea to me!

And the coolest bit of all is that you've got 2 freaking frames and can build 2 completely different interpretations.
I'm seriously envious, it's a wicked stance and a blank canvas to do some wild tank/seat combinations.

Ok I started on the sub frame. I got part of it welded on today. I still need to finish the end and figure out what type of bracing I want to do. I set a seat pan I had laying around on just to give it some shape. I still need to figure out what type of rear fender I want to go with.

DSC_0089-1.jpg
DSC_0089-1.jpg
DSC_0091-1.jpg
DSC_0092-1.jpg
DSC_0093-1.jpg
DSC_0094-1.jpg
DSC_0094-1.jpg
DSC_0095-1.jpg

Looks like that'll work nicely... why not try making up a guard that mounts to the swingarm like the new Beemers and Duc's do?

021411-2011-ducati-diavel-18.jpg

I fabbed up part of my sub frame today. Seat height will be around 35". Good thing i'm tall! ::)

DSC_0099-1.jpg
DSC_0098-2.jpg
DSC_0097-2.jpg
DSC_0096-2.jpg

Holy Awesomeness!! (Funny that word didn't come up wrong on my spellchecker...) This thing is great!

Are you adding gussets or anything for some bracing? I'm no frame guy but it looks to me like the bends in those lower bits are bent in the same direction as the force will be applied when you sit on it... if that makes sense...

I have no idea if it'll be strong enough or not, I'm just telling you what my eyes tell me so don't take offence... as I said I'm no frame guy :)

Yeah Im am thinking about making it into a trellis style frame, but mainly for looks. The tubing I used is extremely heavy. compared to stock frame rail I already stood on it and jumped up and down to see if it flexed any. I'm not saying it couldn't give, I just don't think my skinny but bouncing around on it is going to bend it. Also this is going to be a solo bike so there won't be much weight over the rear tire.

MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
Yeah Im am thinking about making it into a trellis style frame, but mainly for looks. The tubing I used is extremely heavy. compared to stock frame rail I already stood on it and jumped up and down to see if it flexed any. I'm not saying it couldn't give, I just don't think my skinny but bouncing around on it is going to bend it. Also this is going to be a solo bike so there won't be much weight over the rear tire.

That's cool, as I said just sayin' what my eyes were telling me :) I ain't got a clue about structural stuff which is why my frame and other structural things are stock :)

I reckon a trellis style would look awesome though regardless if it's required for strength...

Back
Top Bottom