Building a CB/CL Scrambler - Help on Tires

Sorry to threadjack (again ;D )
Louie, you need to fit the rear brake operating arm properly, it's rotated too far forward (or brake shoes are worn out?)

TheBullitt said:
PjkF - do your current tires cause any problems? Rub? What makes them too large for your taste?

No rubbing, they're just a tight fit on the rims. The back especially.

No clearance issues either... I just prefer a better fitting tire.

TheBullitt said:
T Rush - Do you recall which type of bike? Similar size rims?

here is that dude's thread
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=19763.msg280629#msg280629
Yamaha RS500 with wider aftermarket wheels

Can anyone confirm that the stock rims on a '73 CB350G are 18" front and rear?
Can anyone confirm their widths too?

Seems to be shit options for 18" rims, especially in the dual sport category...

You could have an 18" or 19" on a CL, all CB are 18"
The widths are 1.60" front and 1.85" rear (WM1.WM2)

Thanks for the confirmation PJ

T Rush said:
I wanted to try Shinko 705 110/80-19" front and 120/80-18" rear tires http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-705-motorcycle-tire
...and I even asked another forum member here(who uses the radial 110/80-19" both front and rear on a different type of bike) how wide they were as to if one would fit between a `71 CL350's forks which he said "absolute widest part mounted is almost exactly 4 inches (3.98 or so)"...and it seemed that would squeeze in
...as I really wanted something that would work well on gravel roads

but I chickened out, thinking thats just too much tire on the stock pretty thin rims

instead I got Shinko 712 100/90-19" front 110/90-18" rear on the stock rims
http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-712-motorcycle-tire
....its pretty common to see this size combo of tires on a CB/CL350(I have another CL350 thats had that size on it for years before I got it) but thats as wide as i would ever go on the skinny stock rims, and its probably pushing it alittle

Hey T-Rush - I wanted that same combination (Shinko 705's) but it sounds like we'd be getting a bit too greedy. Especially because my wife will also be riding this one, I can't let my aesthetic pursuits get in the way of her safety!

I'm looking at the 712's in the same size combination you described. Are you happy with them? Any feedback? I would love to see a pic of them mounted if you have one or two.

Thanks in advance

Not sure if you have found tires or not. I am looking at maybe going with a Shinko 611 90mm-19 front and a Shinko 712 100/90/18 rear. The tire patterns look pretty similar. I am just afraid to go with the Shinko 712 100/90/19 front tire. I bought a 100/90/19 locally( can't remember what make tire) and tried to mock it up and it would not fit between forks. I guess they pull in and get narrow when put on rim, but still a little worried it would not fit. I think the 110/90/18 will work on the back though. Maybe the Shinko 611/712 combo would be best because it is closest to stock size.

cjrenick said:
Not sure if you have found tires or not. I am looking at maybe going with a Shinko 611 90mm-19 front and a Shinko 712 100/90/18 rear. The tire patterns look pretty similar. I am just afraid to go with the Shinko 712 100/90/19 front tire. I bought a 100/90/19 locally( can't remember what make tire) and tried to mock it up and it would not fit between forks. I guess they pull in and get narrow when put on rim, but still a little worried it would not fit. I think the 110/90/18 will work on the back though. Maybe the Shinko 611/712 combo would be best because it is closest to stock size.

Still haven't pulled the trigger yet. I had my forks pulled apart and was rebuilding them and cleaning them up. Just got em back together and need to re-mount on the bike so I can make some measurements. So you say a 100 was too tight upfront, eh? I was 'hoping' I could squeeze a 110 front and 120 rear. I know some will think that's nuts but as long as it's safe enough, I'm down to try it...

I doubt the 110 will work up front. The 100 I tried was not mounted and would not fit between the forks. Like I said once they are on the rim it must pull in to make the tire narrower. I have seen guys post on here that run a 100 up front with no problem. I just ordered the 611/712 combo. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

On stock rims (1.60" F, 1.85"R) use 90/90F and 110/90R, even 110 is a bit oversize.
Neevo did some research on rim vs tyre size for his 400f and is fitting WM3 (2.15") front rim and a WM5~6 (2.75") rear rim, 90/90 front tyre and 120/90 rear tyre
Stock, 400f has same size wheels/rims as CB350/360

Finally pulled the trigger on the Shinko 712's. 100/90-18 front, 110/90-18 rear.
I'll repost when mounted and installed!

Pj, if I went mixesxs 2.15 front and rear would 100/ 110 tires be a good choice? Or should I go with a smaller ww2 rim in front?

It's going to be about $400 just for the parts for the when upgrade, unless I reuse stock spokes but my cl front rim is 19"

You can use 100/110 no problem with WM3 rims (2.15)
I went real stupid and fitted 4.00 f and 4.50r (actually 4.25) trail tyres on 360 I'm slowly working on
link is in sig, pics all over the place there ;D

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.625

Sorry guys, I do have the tires mounted and think I could have gotten away with bigger ones. You can see them mounted in my build page here; http://thebullitt.blogspot.com/p/the-bullitt-cb.html but I'll update you soon with how they look installed on the bike.

Cheers,

Looking at the pics you can see how far the tyre sidewall wall curves away from rim because the beads are 'pinched'
Wider tyres can be fitted to the rims but the curve becomes even more pronounced and can be real unstable, particularly as you reduce the contact patch.
To prevent the sidewalls moving sideways instead of compressing as they were designed to do, you have to run higher tyre pressures
The best way to get wider tyre look and have maximum stability is to fit wider rims and correct size tyres (or even slightly narrower by 10mm)
It isn't difficult to find the information but majority don't bother or even want to understand what they are doing, wider tyre on narrow rim actually ends up being narrower and taller than the listed size if you measure across it
Personally I'm far more concerned with how thing perform rather than how it looks, chrome plated turd is just shiny shit ;D

Definitely agree with your point crazypj..

In retrospect, I spent way too much time, effort and money refinishing the stock (heavy and narrow) rims. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I can assure you next build I'm running wider, aluminum rims and street-legal flat tracker tires!

Thanks for the dialog!

You may be better fitting 'correct' size front, current front onto rear then either sell the oversize rear or keep it for next time

Back
Top Bottom