Would a 1.85x18 rim look weird front and rear?

noexit

Been Around the Block
I am looking at these rims on Mike's XS for my CB400f: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-56.html#products
I was going to go with 2.15s rear and 1.85s front, but I must have missed when the 2.15s were in stock briefly in August. I'm thinking 1.85s should work front and rear, with a 90/90 tier front and a 100/90 rear. Stock was 1.60x18 and 1.85x18

Would that combo work and not look retarded?

Should be okay. I run the wider 18's front and rear on my xs650 but the narrower ones would look good on a smler bike and should handle the tires no problem (check avons website for rim size recommendations for different tire sizes).

Hmm... When I search for recommended tires by bike, Avon recommends a 110/90-18 rear, but for that tire, they recommend a 2.15-3.0 rim, which is larger than stock.

Try a different set of tires. Always go with what the tire manufacturer recommends when it comes to widths and sizes.

They have the 2.15 x 18 shouldered alloy rims in stock - polished. They're nice rims - exactly what I have on my front and at $79 it's as cheap as you're going to find a DOT certified rim. If you want it painted, you're still ahead of the game if you pay to have them powder coated any color you want.

Here's the XS Mikes Shouldered Rim 2.15 x 18, 36 spoke rim for a CB360. Used Buchanan's SS spokes and nipples, duplicolor Aluminum Engine paint for the hub.

relacecompletewithbrake.jpg

Here it is with a 3.50 x 18 tire mounted:

rearwheeltiremountedand.jpg

I am putting the XS Mikes 1.85 x 18, 36 spoke rim on the front, but haven't laced it up yet. Using Buchanan's SS Spokes for the front too.

You can see the progress at HondaTwin.net http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16466&start=70

The front hub is painted and clean, but it's still a work in progress.

mydlyfkryzis,

Did you use the .250 nipples that are stock to the CB, or did you get larger ones? It seems like the holes on the XS rims are bigger than the CB stock nipples. Crazypj used brass washers between the nipples and the rims.

I'm trying to decide if I should do that, or try to exchange my nipples for .300'.

Used the 0.250 nipples.
No washers. The 0.250 did not completely fill the hole, but the had a large surface area that made contact.

If I find they start to loosen or pull through, I'll add the washers.

The Front has a 3:00 18 Tire on the 1.85 x 18 rim.
Here's the front done:
relacefrontrimtiremount.jpg

noexit said:
mydlyfkryzis,

Did you use the .250 nipples that are stock to the CB, or did you get larger ones? It seems like the holes on the XS rims are bigger than the CB stock nipples. Crazypj used brass washers between the nipples and the rims.

I'm trying to decide if I should do that, or try to exchange my nipples for .300'.

Only need the washers if using MX rims with the bigger nipple holes.
I think I used brass washers on rear as the spokes were slightly long, plus, Honda used washers on the rim I took apart.
(forget exact reasoning, it was a while ago)

XS rims have 'small' holes
BTW, I would go with 2.15 rear rim

The reason I asked is that the holes on the shouldered rims I got from Mikes XS seemed bigger than. 25, but I emailed them and they said that they are drilled for .25. I already have a box of #14 brass washers, so I think I'll use them to make me feel better.

crazypj said:
Only need the washers if using MX rims with the bigger nipple holes.
I think I used brass washers on rear as the spokes were slightly long, plus, Honda used washers on the rim I took apart.
(forget exact reasoning, it was a while ago)

XS rims have 'small' holes
BTW, I would go with 2.15 rear rim

Glad to hear that...Started second guessing myself. the holes seemed appropriate for the nipple...but I was a virgin on relacing. Saved me a PM.

Front wheel laced up! Had one side a hole off the first time I tried, but I got out my spare front wheel and counted holes and got them right.

Attachments

• IMG_20121002_221120.jpg
    IMG_20121002_221120.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 343
Your going to need the bearings and bearings and bearing spacer in there to be able to true it.
Looks good though ;)

Looks nice....

Remember when truing it, you need not only left and right being straight, but circumference being centered.

In other words, the center of the bearing is more or less exactly the center of the rim.

some people forget that. They get the left right done and think it is good, then wonder why the bike feels like it has oval wheels....

I still have to finish cleaning up my rear hub and lace that, and wait for my bearings to come. I bought a balancing stand from Harbor Freight, but the axle was bent, and judging from the reviews, I'm not going to find one that's not bent, so I need to either make my own or try my bicycle truing stand to see if it's sturdy enough.

Home Depot, Lowes, Sears Hardware all have 1/2 steel rod stock pretty cheap. I have the same HF stand and my "axle" was bent. Went to Sears Hardware and bout a 3 foot length of the straightest 1/2 rod I could find.

Cut to length, works fine. Cost about $8...the rest of the HF stand is fine.

My precision run-out indicator:
relacefrontrimspecialal.jpg

See extra Axle? Use the old bent one to hold everything while I paint or lace. Use the straight one for truing and balancing.
relacefrontrimallspokes.jpg

I use an old swing arm in vice and either drill rod or axle, depending on bearing inner diameter

noexit said:
The reason I asked is that the holes on the shouldered rims I got from Mikes XS seemed bigger than. 25, but I emailed them and they said that they are drilled for .25. I already have a box of #14 brass washers, so I think I'll use them to make me feel better.

So, MikesXS rims have a 0.25" nipple hole? in other words 6.35mm?

Back
Top Bottom