Vintage Styled Tires for 77 CB750

anothernewguy

Hello all,

I have been searching for some decent tires for my 77 CB750 and am having trouble finding tires my size that are semi-vintage inspired. I have heard the Firestones don't handle very well, but I also like the look of those.

Does anyone have something similar in mind to those?

Thanks

Current tire sizes are 130/90-17 Rear and 100/90-19 front.

This conversation has been beat to death here. Put modern tires on your bike unless it is going to sit in a window or your living room and never get ridden. Vintage tire sucked when they were new 80 years ago.

I tried searching to see if this topic has been discussed before but I am new to the site so sorry for asking a question that has been "beaten to death."

I wasn't asking about putting vintage tires on the bike, just something that looks similar, but I guess that doesn't exist.

thanks

Re: Re: Vintage Styled Tires for 77 CB750

timxxx said:
I tried searching to see if this topic has been discussed before but I am new to the site so sorry for asking a question that has been "beaten to death."

I wasn't asking about putting vintage tires on the bike, just something that looks similar, but I guess that doesn't exist.

thanks

It's a topic that brings out the best in all of us :)

Lingo is right though. Modern tires don't look as cool but they stay upright. Tough tradeoff. :)

In short...

Vintage styled tires are for looks. Several conpanies make them, such as Shinko, Duro, Cheng Shin, Coker (Firestone), etc. but they will never perform as well as a modern tire due to the fact that the tread designs are antiquated. You'll hear arguments stating that because they're made from modern compounds that they're better than the originals from way back. That's only partially true. Better rubber helps in performance but can't make up for the fact that the tread patterns (or lack thereof) suck.

If you actually ride your machine, get the best modern rubber you can afford. Shinko makes a great and low priced tire (the 712) that doesn't look like ut should be on a GSXR but is more than capable of performing to the limits your 750 is capable of reaching.

Also, you'll see the arguments put up that "I just cruise around town" or "I never ride in the rain" in defense of vintage style rubber. All bullshit. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

The 712 in the size you're looking for looks a lot like this:

zyAQ2skl.jpg

Oh the snow doesn't come with it? What a ripoff.

Those don't look bad at all, I do plan on taking my bike out on longer rides so I guess modern would be better for me!

timxxx said:
Oh the snow doesn't come with it? What a ripoff.

If I can figure out a way to ship it you'll be the first to know!

Sorry if it came off harsh. Tires and brakes, always buy the best. Your life may depend on it.

lingo said:
Sorry if it came off harsh. Tires and brakes, always buy the best. Your life may depend on it.

none of us will be 100% for another few weeks if this snow nonsense keeps up!

lingo said:

No worries, I'm sure it's frustrating hearing the same questions from new people all the time. I'm just trying to navigate all of this. I feel that the there isn't even the smallest mechanic bone in my body so sometimes I need people to spell things out for me.

timxxx said:
No worries, I'm sure it's frustrating hearing the same questions from new people all the time. I'm just trying to navigate all of this. I feel that the there isn't even the smallest mechanic bone in my body so sometimes I need people to spell things out for me.

If we didn't want to listen to it we would leave. No rocket scientist was born assembling them, you'll figure it out. Welcome to the asylum.

Dunlop K70 performs well on many classic bikes and has a true vintage pattern. Can't speak if it's available in the sizes you need, or if a 750cc bike will overwhelm them.

Heidenau also makes a variety of classic-ish patterns in various sizes with very modern technology.

AgentX said:
Dunlop K70 performs well on many classic bikes and has a true vintage pattern. Can't speak if it's available in the sizes you need, or if a 750cc bike will overwhelm them.

Heidenau also makes a variety of classic-ish patterns in various sizes with very modern technology.

Here's that other side of the argument I was talking about. Haha

VonYinzer said:
Here's that other side of the argument I was talking about. Haha

I appreciate both sides! I will do further research but it seems like I will be leaning towards modern tires to ensure a better ride and safety since I plan on making some very long trips this summer.

Also looking for LA riders if anyone is from the area!

AVON RoadRiders are well respected around these parts. As some have mentioned, the Dunlop K70 is a more 'vintage' looking tire but has a reasonable tread to them. So long as you're not putting Firestones on the bike, or a 120 wide front tire for a 'fat tire' look, you'll be fine.

When faced with this question, I like to say if people can see your tread, you're not riding fast enough :)

I have AVON RoadRiders on my XS650 cafe (full on 750cc race motor - had it up to 110+) and my BMW R75/6. For my SR500 I went with a dual sport Shinko 705, and for my Voodoo Vintage MK4 I did in fact go for form over function and put AVON SafetyMileage and Speed Master rear/front on it. It's a bar hopper bike built more for looks than anything. But, I do plan on riding it to Texas from Toronto one day, and would likely put better rubber on it first.

Back
Top Bottom