19 inch tyre on an 18 inch rim?

mark13018 said:
I too thought this was a joke... Probably not the first or last time it was/will be asked and I'm sure it will be funny again... Sorry man.. Yeah some idiots put them on cars to do stunts and drift but that's four wheels and not a daily rider. I wouldn't do it on two wheels for even a single ride. Just jot safe. The bead would be loose and probably would just wobble around like trying to put a cheap pos harbor freight grinding wheel in your Bosch angle grinder. Makes its a little difficult to get the job done.

I can't believe some of the attempts to a serious answer here. "Yeah some idiots put them on cars to do stunts and drift with but that's four wheels and not a daily rider." Really? There is no way to use a 19" tire on an 18 " rim, it will not physically seal and hold any air. You could not physically stretch the steel cord bead of an 18" tire onto a 19" rim. This question actually scares me to think that the OP is actually working on his own bike not knowing this basic knowledge.

o1marc said:
Really? There is no way to use a 19" tire on an 18 " rim, it will not physically seal and hold any air. You could not physically stretch the steel cord bead of an 18" tire onto a 19" rim.

Yes actually you can. It's called stretching to drift. You won't find a professional shop to do it but you can do it by using flammable chemicals and lighting the tires on fire for a short period of time then installing them on a different size rim... Would I do it on a bike? HELL NO!.. I apologize though as I had my sizing backwards. Drifters use a SMALLER size tire on a LARGER rim. Not the other way around like the OP

beat_dead_horse2.jpg

mark13018 said:
Yes actually you can. It's called stretching to drift. You won't find a professional shop to do it but you can do it by using flammable chemicals and lighting the tires on fire for a short period of time then installing them on a different size rim... Would I do it on a bike? HELL NO!.. I apologize though as I had my sizing backwards. Drifters use a SMALLER size tire on a LARGER rim. Not the other way around like the OP

No.
Drifters "stretch" a tire width wise not height wise.
For instance putting a 245 tire on a wider rim than recommended so that you can have a lower profile tire

And "lighting the tire on fire" is setting the bead with ether. Not setting the tire on fire.

Think we've exhausted this one - can't put a 19" tire on an 18" rim. Drifters go sideways and lighting tires on fire is fun stuff.

mark13018 said:

Stretching is when you put a tire meant for a skinny wheel onto a very wide wheel that you would have trouble getting the beads to stretch the width. You use a flammable fluid (highly dangerous) to blow the sidewalls outward to seat on the wheel bead. It is not putting a larger diameter tire on a smaller diameter rim.

o1marc said:
Stretching is when you put a tire meant for a skinny wheel onto a very wide wheel that you would have trouble getting the beads to stretch the width. You use a flammable fluid (highly dangerous) to blow the sidewalls outward to seat on the wheel bead. It is not putting a larger diameter tire on a smaller diameter rim.

I do believe I covered that about 2 posts back ;)

Maybe this was a good question.

Sounds like the OP was not the only one that needed to know....

So lets answer some other questions too;

We answered "Can you put a 19 inch tire on an 18 inch Rim" (NO)

Let's not leave any other combo out.

Can I put a 16 inch Tire on an 18 inch Rim? NO

Can I put a 21 inch tire on a 17 inch rim ? NO

Can I put a car tire on a motorcycle? Yes, if you have a Goldwing and want to create a never ending thread on the dark side of wheels and tires.

Can I put 60 lbs of BS in a 50 lb bag? Yes, but only on this forum.... 8)

So if I understand all of this, you can put a 19" tire on an 18" rim but this will cause the motorcycle to drift resulting in fire.

Can I just run 19" inner tubes on 18" rims and eliminate the tires?

mydlyfkryzis said:
Can I put a car tire on a motorcycle? Yes, if you have a Goldwing and want to create a never ending thread on the dark side of wheels and tires.

Well, seeing we're going a bit off topic...

I put a car tyre on my Intruder last week:

P7070002_zps3047ca51.jpg

Works really well. No, really, it does.

Flame on ;)

hillsy said:
Well, seeing we're going a bit off topic...

I put a car tyre on my Intruder last week:

P7070002_zps3047ca51.jpg

Works really well. No, really, it does.

Flame on ;)

I can see that working really well off the line and straight away but turns ???

Yep - it turns. Quite well actually.

It depends on the bike - the Intruder doesn't lean that far before it scarpes it's floorboards so the car tyre works within those limitations. And it's only a 195/65, so it's not outrageously wide.

But you wouldn't put one on a Busa ;)

Since this thread has gained quite a bit of popularity maybe you could check this our and help me with my electrical issue :)
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=51197.0

hillsy said:
Yep - it turns. Quite well actually.

It depends on the bike - the Intruder doesn't lean that far before it scarpes it's floorboards so the car tyre works within those limitations. And it's only a 195/65, so it's not outrageously wide.

But you wouldn't put one on a Busa ;)

That settles it!
245/45/18 going on my 400f. It'll look like the bike in batman!

Back
Top Bottom