What type of tire is this? Where to buy?

edelweiss

Coast to Coast
Please see picture below. I have seen these types of tires on several bikes and would love to get a pair. Does anyone know what type of tires these are and where to buy them?

Thanks so much!!

John

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 12,734
HerrDeacon said:
http://thebikeshed.cc/2012/11/09/mikes-cb750-brat/

funny, about an hour or two ago i came home from work and googled "cb750 brat" those images from that site were the first to come up and i read the little spread they did. Im not much into lowered bikes coz i feel they handle like crap, but i think that bike is very tastefully done.

That Style of tyre is known as Coker tires. there are many manufacturers out there who make that style now, Google them.

They're called "Firestone Champion Deluxe" tires. Those ones are made by Coker Classic Industries, a company that specializes in reproduction tires for vintage cars amd motorcycles. Shinko also makes a near identical version. I have had the Firestone model on a bike (XS650 hardtail) and can tell you, that they perform just as a tire designed nearly 100 years ago would. They're just for show.

Now, that's my opinion. Other swear they're not all that bad. Ride on them once on wet roads and I think you'll agree with me though.

That would be a non DOT replica of a tire from the 30-40s.

I completely dismiss anyone that uses them as clueless.

Not sure what all the fuss is about... they work great. Mount them on a 4.50-16 rim, install on the front of your T-bucket or Model A roadster and go for a drive...

Oh, you meant for motorcycle use. God awful handling, slicker than greased glass when they get wet or on sand. Anything lighter than a full dress Indian Roadmaster (twin or inline 4 cylinder) or full dress Panhead Duo-glide isn't going to make them work right. They work just fine for slow, heavy bikes. The only modern bikes you can safely install them on are Road Kings, Heritage Softails, 1500 Drifter and 1500/1600 Vulcan Classics. You can use them on the rear of barhoppers if you rock a 90/90-19 or 80/90-21 front wheel, but the handling still sucks. I had a Speedmaster 3.00-21 front and Acme 5.00-16 replica of that old Firestone tread on my Panhead... not very stable, and it was in a proper rigid frame.

Putting those tires on a "modern" lightweight factory metric is a bad idea, putting them on a cut down is a good way to get yourself killed. Save the vintage touring tires for the bikes big enough to properly load them.

Ohh no, not again... John, don't do it man. Those tyres are just for show. There are quite a few nice bikes that have been wrecked because they had these shoes on. They are like wearing bowling shoes in an ice rink, you would not do it unless you were drunk and even then you would regret it the next day.

Pipeburn should really have a disclaimer that none of the bikes featured actual run or ride...

surffly said:
Pipeburn should really have a disclaimer that none of the bikes featured actual run or ride...

Thaqt's how they got their name. The bikes fall over and burn your legs... 8)

A few weeks ago I did see that royal enfield with the wooden seat kinda move under its own power.

I think those tires should come with some kind of pin in them so you can attach it to some kind of dick punching mechanism that punches you in the dick repeatedly as you ride. The picture in my head is hilarious, I really hope my description is getting it across.

Roc City Cafe said:
I think those tires should come with some kind of pin in them so you can attach it to some kind of dick punching mechanism that punches you in the dick repeatedly as you ride. The picture in my head is hilarious, I really hope my description is getting it across.

Sounds like a fun new machining project....

Back
Top Bottom