What type of tire is this? Where to buy?

They are Coker brand Firestones.

They are absolutely perfect if you only ride in straight lines.

YES...I am the authority.

My fuel mileage all but doubled when I changed from the Firestones to Avons. And I ride much harder now. Due to the fact that I can go around corners.

If you are looking for used I have em out in the garage. My wife wants me to keep the front tire so she can hang it from a rope out in the front oak tree and plant flowers in it. Tire Swing style only full of flowers. I think it would look pretty cool.

001500.jpg

I still don't get even the stylistic appeal of the big, fat, donut-from-another-era tires on bikes that aspire to be "cafe racers" or any other kind of performance machine. No sporty bike in the 50s+ used fat tires, especially those things.

if I had a bike like the one pictured, I'd try a set.. that bike would just be for cruising around town anyways as I don't like riding lowered bikes.

"Just cruising around town" has to be the most over used cop out for a poorly built bike ever.
Next time you are driving down the road at 35mph just jump out, it's so much more fun then the same at 65mph...

mAd mOrdigan said:
if I had a bike like the one pictured, I'd try a set.. that bike would just be for cruising around town anyways as I don't like riding lowered bikes.

As stated before... I had these on a bike (installed by the PO, it was a hardtailed XS650) and while "cruising around town" on one of the first days I owned the chop, hit a wet patch in a slight curve at about 20-25mph. By the time I got the bike straight again, I was over the double yellow. Had a car been coming... No bueno. If the roads were PERFECTLY DRY AND CLEAN, they were almost a crappy tire instead of a horribly dangerous tire. Any real world situation, and they're complete and total garbage.

VonYinzer said:
As stated before... I had these on a bike (installed by the PO, it was a hardtailed XS650) and while "cruising around town" on one of the first days I owned the chop, hit a wet patch in a slight curve at about 20-25mph. By the time I got the bike straight again, I was over the double yellow. Had a car been coming... No bueno. If the roads were PERFECTLY DRY AND CLEAN, they were almost a crappy tire instead of a horribly dangerous tire. Any real world situation, and they're complete and total garbage.

that actually clears things up then. Aside from your comments it seemed like everyone was just spouting off "they suck" with any first hand experience. I figured i dont ride in the rain anyways so i'd be ok, guess not. Hard pass on those tires if a wet patch will do it at 20-25mph.

mAd mOrdigan said:
that actually clears things up then. Aside from your comments it seemed like everyone was just spouting off "they suck" with any first hand experience. I figured i dont ride in the rain anyways so i'd be ok, guess not. Hard pass on those tires if a wet patch will do it at 20-25mph.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst...

"just cruising around town" is when you get hurt.
Thats when the other drivers are involved, which is the only part of being on a bike that scares me.
If I hit a curve going too fast, thats on me and I'm in control.
If some shit head pulls out in front of you and you have to slam the brakes, you better hope your tires are up to it. From everything I've read about the cokers (no experience with them thankfully) you'd be dead in this situation.

SONICJK said:
"just cruising around town" is when you get hurt.
Thats when the other drivers are involved, which is the only part of being on a bike that scares me.
If I hit a curve going too fast, thats on me and I'm in control.
If some shit head pulls out in front of you and you have to slam the brakes, you better hope your tires are up to it. From everything I've read about the cokers (no experience with them thankfully) you'd be dead in this situation.

good point, precisely why I no longer commute. trackdays are the only place ill push it.

mAd mOrdigan said:

I have far too much experience with that tread design. On big, heavy, slow bikes, they are almost horrible. On little lightweight "bikelettes" (anything smaller than a chopped Panhead) they are a death wish. I do like them on spindle mount t-bucket or roadster wire wheels, but even then, they have a tendency to slide around on wet or sandy pavement.

Back
Top Bottom