new tires just came in... think i messed up

Big Rich said:
You are planning on running them with inner tubes, right? Just want to make sure...... but tubeless tires can be mounted with inner tubes installed with no problems. It lowers the speed rating by one step (the inner tube makes the tire run warmer).

Huh...I never knew that it dropped the speed rating. Thanks for learning me something today Big Rich!!!

Here's the tire width versus wheel width chart.

the 1.6 width front rim is the narrowest rim for a 3.00 18. Anything larger goes against recommended widths.

Attachments

• REcommend tire size 1.jpg
    REcommend tire size 1.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 471
Pardon this posts barragre of questions but I do have a few. First and foremost, 1)
what will the noticeable difference in handling durring regular casual riding (btw the streets in my area are laid out in a perfect grid, no twisties... unless i go out of the valley towards the canyons) be between a 90mm versus a 100mm front tire on a 1.6” rim? Is it dangerous enough of a difference to merit taking the tire back and trying to exchange it and wait on a new tire to ship.... BTW Shink doesn't make 712 front tire in a 90/90/18 so I run into another issue with having to find a front wheel that will fit and match the tread of the rear wheel....

God damned millimeters of rubber are keeping me off of my bike. I'm kind of growing impatient since the first set of tires I ordered they sent me two rear tires, so I have already gone through the Hassel of exchanging the front tire once, is 10mm and finding a tread that works with the 712 be worth it?

mydlyfkryzis said:
Here's the tire width versus wheel width chart.

the 1.6 width front rim is the narrowest rim for a 3.00 18. Anything larger goes against recommended widths.

So, correct me if I'm wrong but based on this graph the largest tire the cl360 1.6" wheel can safely run is a 3.60". Correct?

Would this work well with the Shinko 712 110/90/18 rear?

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/avon-am26-roadrider-front-tire/330-5710.aspx

I don't know much about motorcycle tires/sizes (if it isn't already apparent)

The old tire sizes did not indicate the width to height ratio. The 3.50 x 18 is actually wider than the 3.60. The widest recommended tire is the 3.10 which also was an odd profile tire.

The metric sizes show the width in mm and the height in % of width. A 90/80-18 means the height Is 80% of the height. .80x90=72 mm.

For sizes available today, I would not put anything over a 3.00-18 on a 1.6 inch rim.

The correct method is too put a wide rim on. A wider rim will give better handling even with the stock tire. I am running a 3.00x18 on a 1.85 wide rim. The bike handles noticeably better to me.

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

Mydlyf, did you mean this:
"A 90/80-18 means the height Is 80% of the height."

I'm not so sure a wider rim with the stock tire will be better handling.

I meant the height is 80% of the width.

Look at the rim width and recommend tire chart. A 3.00 18 tire is best on A 1.85 rim. Honda used a 1.60, the minimum recommended. I can tell you my 360 handles better now then before I switched one size up keeping the stock tire sizes.

The sidewall is stiffened with a wider ( not over wide though) rim. Gives a more linear response.

Wide tires on a narrow rim allow the tread area to move laterally in relation to the bead area, giving a more squirrelly handling.

Same is true on cars. The wheel width should match the tire design width for proper stiffness.

bubonicplay said:
Go one size up from stock. So go 100 110.

This is what I have currently.. I have held off on mounting them because the majority of the responses have told me that a 90 front is better than a 100 front.

Now I consider myself a novice street rider, although Ive been riding dirt bikes since I was 4 (my first ”bicycle" wasn't human powered it was an old Suzuki 50cc with training wheels... My dad/uncles were MX and drag bike enthusiasts) but now after years of not owning a bike I'm slowly getting back into it.

Bottom line 90mm front tire or 100mm front tire?

90 is too wide for the 1.6 rim. But if you are set on this, don't do the 100 as it is even further from the safe , recommended width.

To use the 90 you should put a 1.85 rim on at least.

While the bike will ride with a 100 on, you are making the bike less stable. That increases your odds of a spill.

The problem as I see it is that many riders have never ridden a well handling bike and have no frame of reference. The difference between a fat tire and the right tire is like the handling difference between a large Buick and a Miata.

They both get you to the grocery store well enough, but if you enter an exit ramp a little fast, the Miata will just drive through will the Buick will tend to under steer and take you off the road.

To me, asking if an over wide tire will fit is like asking if the twin cylinder motor will run on one cylinder. Sure it can, but why would you want to ??

What he says, no way would I put the 100/90/18 on the front with a 1.60" rim or the 110 on the rear. Narrow may not look as cool by today's standard but the tires work better when they're standard sizes, standard meaning factory recommended. A 90/90/18" on a 1.85" rim would be the way to go if you want better handling. The Shinko 712 is their "performance" bias tire. Duro is another low cost tire, Duro calls the 918 their performance bias tire
Cheers, 50gary

You can look at charts and tell people its "unsafe" all night.

The fact is a lot of people use 100/ 90 110/90 on CB's which is one size up from stock. Some people even go way bigger than that ie. Firestone balloons etc.

One size up fills in the fender gaps etc and looks better in my oppinion.

The fact is if you havent tried one size up tires and stock tires side by side on the same bike then dont comment on how the handling sucks, because you dont know.

Im not sure what size these are (Pirelli Scorpion) but they look good, im thinking about getting these on my cl.

Attachments

• 9659804371_2a93bcb7fb_c.jpg
    9659804371_2a93bcb7fb_c.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 237
bubonicplay said:
You can look at charts and tell people its "unsafe" all night.

The fact is a lot of people use 100/ 90 110/90 on CB's which is one size up from stock. Some people even go way bigger than that ie. Firestone balloons etc.

One size up fills in the fender gaps etc and looks better in my oppinion.

The fact is if you havent tried one size up tires and stock tires side by side on the same bike then dont comment on how the handling sucks, because you dont know.

Or you can look at the chart and see that the right tire and rim is important.

You assume because manufacturers publish recommended tire and rim combinations that they never rode with wide tires? Then why do you think that chart exists?

I have run with fat tires and narrow rims, and now am on wider rims and stock tires. A tire on a wider rim has more lateral stability. It handles crisper and more predicatively. Statements like yours imply ignorance of physics and mechanical relationships between devices.

I was ignorant about this a long time ago. I since learned and have made sure the tire and rim are matched.

If you ever ride a good handling bike, then ride a poor handling one, you may ask yourself "What is the difference?"

Fat tires handle slower. That's ok, if you want slow handling. Cruisers like slow handling. That's why the use fat tires. Look at the rims though. They are the right width for the tire.

What is being said here is to use the RIGHT rim for the tire.

Your comments are about the looks....Looks don't keep you upright.

I would never say one size up tires are unsafe, I have a CX500 Cafe style that's one size up and it rides and handles great IMO but I also have USD '07 GSX-R forks, It does have a wider front rim 2.15 vs. 1.85. I would also go with the standard size in the rear (110/18) if I buy a new set of tires when these wear out. People buy what they like and that's fine if someone asks for advice on a forum that's fine too. I think the Pirelli Scorpion Sync was OE on the Ducati Multistrada and Buell City.
Cheers, 50gary

The tire chart previously posted shows what would be standard size for each rim. It also shows acceptable sizes larger and smaller that can be used. If you have a tire on the rim now that is in the gray area of larger or smaller than I would not go 1 size larger. There are some size rims that may safely use a tire size 2 sizes larger. as long as you stay in the acceptable range on the chart you should be fine.
Looking back at previous posts, if you have a 1.85 stock rim then your 110/90 is not an acceptable size for that rim. It is asking for a minimum rim size of 2.15? Squeezing the 110/90 onto a 1.85" rim will crown the profile of the tire more than it was intended and effect handling, negatively , most likely.

I do agree with the fact that bigger tires will handle worse, I have ridden both bikes, mine with 90/100 and another with 100/110. The later does feel slightly different but I still think it handles really good. The smaller tires feel more agile. One size up is still perfectly safe though in my opinion. Anything bigger is asking for problems, my 2c. Fwiw I think the bigger tires look better, even at the sacrifice of minor performance.

Back
Top Bottom