Before sourcing Honda CB350 - front disc brake vs drum?

behrboy

Been Around the Block
So I am shopping for a early 70's Honda CB350. The 73 came out with the front disc brake. I was hoping for some opinions on if that is superior to earlier front drum style? All things equal, would I choose a 73 over a 72 for that?

Thanks for your thoughts.

there is an argument for the drum based on looks, but it ends there. Disc is lighter, more efficient, easier to modulate, easier to maintain and service and provides more consistent braking.

Thanks for the info. Would a conversion to disc brake be worthwhile if I found an earlier model year? Or is the transition more difficult than would be worthwhile, meaning it would be wiser to just locate a '73?

the drum brake works fine set up correctly, and i dont think that the disc was an improvent
my suggestion is do that first, if you don't like it you can sell it and go with a more modern disc lashup

That^^^

I've owned/ridden both and with all stock bits, the disk set up is not much better than the drum if done right. If you do get the disk front end, upgrade the pads to a modern compound and run a stainless line from the master to the caliper. Beyond that, it's all old tech. It will never perform as well as modern systems.

VonYinzer said:
That^^^

I've owned/ridden both and with all stock bits, the disk set up is not much better than the drum if done right. If you do get the disk front end, upgrade the pads to a modern compound and run a stainless line from the master to the caliper. Beyond that, it's all old tech. It will never perform as well as modern systems.

The pads and line make the difference. While setting up a drum isnt necessarily hard, it is something you have to do where as the disc is just bleed and go. There is still a noteworthy rotational and stationary mass difference. I would also imagine if he decides to go disc later he'll have to change the fork lower as well.

Drum isnt a deal breaker, but if you want maximum performance an upgraded and modernized disc setup is going to be better. for an average street bike, just buy the one you like more.

It will just be a recreational use street bike. I guess I was more concerned with safe stopping distances and overall improvements. It seems like what I am hearing is that the difference is minor-negligible?

D4N63R said:
The pads and line make the difference. While setting up a drum isnt necessarily hard, it is something you have to do where as the disc is just bleed and go. There is still a noteworthy rotational and stationary mass difference. I would also imagine if he decides to go disc later he'll have to change the fork lower as well.

Drum isnt a deal breaker, but if you want maximum performance an upgraded and modernized disc setup is going to be better. for an average street bike, just buy the one you like more.
rotational mass the drum wheel may be
lighter those old discs are heavy
i am not sure there is a big weight diff overall either

behrboy said:
It will just be a recreational use street bike. I guess I was more concerned with safe stopping distances and overall improvements. It seems like what I am hearing is that the difference is minor-negligible?

if you're just worried about the occasional need to stop in a hurry, as mentioned the difference will be negligible between the two in stock form.

xb33bsa said:
set up properly you can do stoppies

you just had to say that..... I'll come back and post results once the snow melts... I love me a good stoppie

We get asked this question a lot with regard to the MGAs we service. The MGA 1500 was 4-wheel drum, the 1600 had front discs. You can fairly easily convert the drum cars to front wheel discs, but depending on the driving style it's usually not warranted.

Drums can often stop BETTER on the first couple of stops than a disc can. However, after the first few the heat build-up starts to cause them problems. After about 10 hard stops a drum brake really starts behaving badly in comparison to a disc. They just are much less capable of getting rid of the heat which causes them to fade.

For any sort of track application disc are better, period.

As said... Stock set up (disk or drum) for the average rider on the street is nearly identical in performance. As long as it's all in proper working order. Buy what you like and service the brakes according to factory specs with all the upgraded parts you can and you'll be fine.

The thought of doing one on a mass produced commuter bike with drum brakes thats too heavy and too flexy is terrifying... but im going to try it a couple times anyway hahaha

show worthy stoppies have a nasty habit of leading to broken wrists and mangled fore arms hahaha

Don't do stoppies on a CB350. The bike doesn't have the weight distribution for it. The front wheel will lock and skid before you get a good stoppie...a lock wheel is good for a highside crash...

As von yinzer said, both brakes, set up correctly, work well for street. The Disk will work a little better when stainless lines and new EBC pads are used. MY CB360 (same brakes) was a horrible stopper until I put the stainless lines and better pads on.

Back
Top Bottom