110/ 90h or 110/ 80h r18"s, cl360?

lipuid

Been Around the Block
Would the 110/ 80's fit my rims better? These would be ons size up from stock.

Thinking of the Bridgestone bt45 tires. Any help is appreciated.

Stock is 3.00 18 in front, 3.50 18 in back.

Translated:

Stock is 80/90 - 18 if front, 90/90 - 18 in back

110/80 will not fit your rims better. The rims were the minimum width (1.60' in front, 1.85 in back) for the stock sizes.

In the back, 110 is 2x from stock, 3x from stock in the front.

Wider tires on narrow rims decreases handling and safety.

Do what you want, but be aware that you are doing it wrong....

I have two 360's and one of them which has been sitting for 40 years all original and it has 90/90 and 100/90 tires.

The height. 80 means 80% of the width.

So if the tire is 100mm, the height is 80 MM.

On a 100/90, the width is 100mm, but the height is 90MM. The old tires were closest to the 90% height.

80mm = 3.13 inches - Stock front is 80/90 x 18 approx 3.00 x 18
90mm = 3.52 inches - Stock rear is 90/90 x 18 approx 3.50 x 18
100mm = 4 inches (3.9")
110 is about a 4.3

The chart below shows the right width rim for the size tire. the gray boxes are the recommended sizes. To be safe, stay in the gray....For wider tires than stock, you need wider rims.

Attachments

• REcommend tire size 1.jpg
    REcommend tire size 1.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 758
Thanks for the great info. However if I wanted to be "unsafe" and run a 110 rear, should I go with a 80 or 90 height?

the taller the tire the worse the handling, so 110/80 would be better, but not really. if youre already over by 3 sizes, theres nothing to make handling any better other than get wider rims.
11311-170414143718.png

heres my cb360 on stock rims with a BT45 Battlax 110/90-18 in back and a Kenda Challenger 110/90-18 in front.
theyre huge.
they look cool.
i think PJ calls them "clown boots" lol. hes right.
i dont/cant take corners too aggressive, and now im in the market for 2.15 rims front and rear.

You must have a different front wheel...CB/CL 360's only came with 18 inch rims front and rear. The CL350 had a front 19 inch.

An 80 series 110 tire is worse. The wide tire with a shorter sidewall will be pinched in even more than a 110/90 tire. The tire wire deflect on the rim even more.

What size rim is actually on the front? (Not the 18 or 19, but the width? 1.60 was a stock width wheel on the front of both CB/cl350 and CB/CL360. Anything over 80MM is too wide....If you get a wider rim, then you can go wider....

I assume you are going wider for looks. Lok at any modern bike, the front is always narrower than the rear. Fat front tires handle less well than narrower tires.

I put 1.85" wide rims on the front of my CB360 but kept the stock 3.00 x 18. With the beads further apart, the sidewall is stiffer and improved the handling noticeably. The contact patch is closer to ideal also.

Choose what you want to do, I won't stop you, but I am always confused why degraded handling for looks is so popular. The wide tire on a narrow rim has more lateral spring, and contributes to high speed wobbles. Not a guarantee, but it is a shame when an otherwise nice looking bike is sliding down the road one way while the rider slides down the road in a different direction.

I've taken one spill on pavement, and care not to try it again.

"the taller the tire the worse the handling, so 110/80 would be better"

Conflicting opinions... ty for the input though.

"An 80 series 110 tire is worse."

I guess I have an 18" front wheel, it's hard to read the old stock tires.

It's easy to be confused. An 80 width tire is better than a taller tire, if the width is appropriate. So you weren't off the mark too much.

Shorter side walls are stiffer. that is why cars are all moving to a short sidewall height. But short sidewall, wide width tires are not appropriate on a too narrow rim.....

Are you positive about a 110/ 90 r18 betting better than a smaller 110/ "80" r18?

I just want to make sure because I have read conflicting viewpoints elsewhere too.

So also 90/90 and 100/ 90 r18 front and rear tires are bigger than the 3.xxx tires that come these bikes stock? Just want to confirm? Ty so much for taking the time to provide useful insight these bikes. Mahalo.

I could get 100/ 80 front and 110/ 80 rear instead of / 90 height if that might be better...

Divided the MM by 25.4 to get inches...

100/25.4 = 3.93 inch or approx 4.00
90 mm is 3.50 inch equivalent
80 is 3.00 equivalent.

It is hard to judge the actual width of the tire (or height) as 2 tires otherwise the same size on the sidewall, can be different widths or heights.

As long as you stay within the chart posted previously (rim width vs tire size), you will be good. If you are particular about handling, which most here seem not to be, then the "STD' area is better, and even one size larger width wheel is even better.

You have all the information ....now you need to chose (wisely one hopes).

If i upgraded my rims to Mikesxs.com 2.15 front and 2.15 rear............ Would 110/ 90 rear ---- and 100/ 90 front be great choices?

based on the chart, yes those would be most excellent.
just gotta take the time to lace, true, and balance them.

Definitely fit the rim, but you may have clearance issues depending on the tire. The width at the center of the tire varies. Even though the listed size is the same, the actual dimensions vary quite a bit. So one brand may fit quite nicely, another model tire by the same manufacturer way be wider and not fit.

A 100 mm wide on the front may just fit, or may rub....No telling till you get the tire and mount it.

The rear is the the same. A 100mm in the rear would work (4.00 x 18 equivalent), but the next size up might be an interference fit (rub).
A 410 mm tire is like a 4.50 x18 tire. Most of them either rub on the swingarm, or sometimes the chain.

The best handling would be 90/90 in front and 100/90 in rear.....

good luck.

bubonicplay said:
If i upgraded my rims to Mikesxs.com 2.15 front and 2.15 rear............ Would 110/ 90 rear ---- and 100/ 90 front be great choices?
for performance those tires are piss poor choices ::) bigger heavier tires will slow acceleration, braking and slow down handling
you only have a little over 30hp to work with, do you want to make your bike slower ?
on another note, chics don't care what size tires you have

A lot of people say 110 rear is fine, especially if running a 2.15 rear rim. So the front could go a little smaller then maybe? Even on a 2.15 rim a 90 is better?

Back
Top Bottom