Ebay S.S. Spokes. Dont shoot me for asking

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
So please don't tear me apart for this, but has anyone used these spokes? I understand that they are Taiwanese and not Buchanan. I am on a budget as we all are, but am curious of anyone that has used these specific spokes. I understand that they probably aren't quite as high of quality as Buchanan spokes, I get it, but I am asking if anyone has actually used these and what kind of luck you had. There is quite a price difference. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB450-CB500-CB500-CB550-CB750-CB750K-FRONT-STAINLESS-SPOKES-Disc-Brake-/171606776618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f48f9b2a

While I don't have experience with those spokes, I have used 'Thai' spokes on a CA95 project, and had a professional wheel builder lace them up. He's laced a number of wheels for me using Buchanan spokes. He had no complaints or concerns, and he's one to let me know if something isn't quite right.

For these particular spokes, it's encouraging to see the seller deals in a lot of spoke related products (he's not also selling cell phone cases) and has loads of very positive feedback from qualified buyers (they also have high positive feedback). There is little negative feedback, and those complaints are mostly inconsequential. Nothing about a spoke breaking, not being good quality etc.

Might be worth a shot - confirm they're stainless with a magnet (should not stick).

Interested to see how they work out for you. I agree with Tim, being that they seem to have an entire business around spokes, I wouldn't count them out.

I have purchased 2 sets of spokes from this seller, they are great quality spokes, very consistant, much better machining than the original Suzuki ones I was replacing. Also, they arrived well packaged and lickity split, I think I got them in like 8 days.

I think I'll try em out. I mean while I would love to buy top of the line everything, but I simply can't... I'll let y'all know how they turn out, and thanks for the replies!

Keep in mind to invest your money where upgrades are not easy. I.e. spokes. Not suggesting you should buy Buchanan, but on those sorts of things you never want to touch again, choose wisely.

Or of course things that your life depends on like brakes, tires, helmets...

Grips, seats, tanks, paint, fenders, lighting.... Those can all be easily changed over time. Spokes, rims, bearings, engine components, shocks... Those are all one-time investments.

Good point Tim. That is really why I asked the question. I am trying to say this as to not offend anyone, but just because something is made state side, doesn't always make it higher quality. It does almost always means things are more expensive. I am also not saying that is a tell all end all thing. I have bought some Asian "crap in a box" before, and some very high quality American made product, but honestly it has gone the other way as well. While I would rather spend my money in the states, some things cost close to 150% less for the "same" product from across the pond. That is why the question was asked. If some people on here have had a good experience with the spokes I'll give them a try, but if not ill pass. I take things like spokes, brakes, and helmets very seriously too, and that is why I am trying to do some research from people that have used them first hand. I appreciate the feedback, good point on the one time thing, I don't think I would want to lace these wheels again!

My theory is stainless spokes from china, america, turkey, japan, anywhere are probably decent enough.
Reason is if one fails it's not going to cause a crash. There are many backups. And the fact that they are stainless means no rust, which is a reason why spokes fail a lot of times, and overtightening.
That said, if the price isn't astronomically higher for a usa part I will always support a usa company. The fact is though that quality from china is getting much better nowadays compared to 10 to 15 years ago.

Edit - I was thinking the same thing as tim said below. Things like spokes are such a simple item to not screw up that honda realizes it's a lot better to just outsource them and save money and time, and they are I guess good enough quality too.

I can almost guarantee with absolute certainty that every single spoke on every factory bike on the planet today is sourced out of China. HD, Triumph, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Victory, Indian... you name it and they most likely have spokes and many many many many other components from all over the planet.

Buy the spokes - don't worry about it.

I just laced some of these spokes to new rims and wire brushed hub - haven't trued the rims yet but very pleased with what I see so far and had excellent correspondence with the seller. Picture attached ( I think! ).

Attachments

• IMG_0432ds.jpg
    IMG_0432ds.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 297
What spokes are those lsrcb? Also could you show us the bike that awesome colored wheel is getting installed on? Teaser pic?

These are the chromed steel spokes from terrybangkok2007 eBay. These wheels will go on a Motobi Catria 175cc clone for Bonneville Land Speed Racing. I took the old rim/spokes off the hub, used a fine brass wire wheel on the hub and then rattle can acid etching primer and found a vht rattle can metallic copper engine paint that was pretty close to the color of the hubs. Did these in 28 deg F outside air - not the best painting situation.

Attachments

• IMG_0362dl.jpg
    IMG_0362dl.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_0390wl.jpg
    IMG_0390wl.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_0393wl.jpg
    IMG_0393wl.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,013
  • IMG_0402wl.jpg
    IMG_0402wl.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,007
I've been "watching" those spikes on eBay for months, same seller and everything! Every time I decide to buy them, I start thinking "but what if?" Seems like others on here have had good experiences with them, so maybe I'll give 'em a go.

If using stainless nipples you will want to apply an anti-sieze as well. Buchannan's ships it with all their stainless spoke/nipple sets.

^ Yes! Anti seize for sure. I have, and love this tube of bronze LM508 lubro-moly I bought 5-6 years ago. I use it on anything that moves, everywhere. It cost around $7 back then. I used it on all the spoke nipples of course!

Attachments

• shopping.jpg
    shopping.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 998
I think I will go ahead and get them, like stated above, they are a company that makes spokes, their feedback is good and no one on there has complained of spokes breaking, and if stainless they will not rust (if it is a descent grade anyway). When I get them I will post up how they work out for me. If it were close in price I would definitely go with Buchannan, but I can get a set of these front AND rear shipped for $95, and I think Buchannan was around $120?? a wheel. And KICKRacing & doc_rot, I have gotten in the habit of putting anti-seize on most fasteners, at least the ones that don't need Loctite. Nothing pisses ya off like gaulding a brand new thread up on something, or not being able to get a brand new nut or bolt back off! I was in the tool and die industry for my last job, and found out that aluminum and S.S. especially don't match. There is actually some kind of chemical reaction that happens between S.S. and aluminum that makes them seize up. Had a friend who bought one of those all stainless bolt kits for his cb360 and decided not to use any anti seize. Not a good day for him when he decided to take the chain cover back off. :p

I bought these spokes for the rear wheel on my cb360 and they have served me well. I've only done some test rides, but they've held up to sitting outside for probably six months with no risting

hurco550 said:
I think I will go ahead and get them, like stated above, they are a company that makes spokes, their feedback is good and no one on there has complained of spokes breaking, and if stainless they will not rust (if it is a descent grade anyway). When I get them I will post up how they work out for me. If it were close in price I would definitely go with Buchannan, but I can get a set of these front AND rear shipped for $95, and I think Buchannan was around $120?? a wheel. And KICKRacing & doc_rot, I have gotten in the habit of putting anti-seize on most fasteners, at least the ones that don't need Loctite. Nothing pisses ya off like gaulding a brand new thread up on something, or not being able to get a brand new nut or bolt back off! I was in the tool and die industry for my last job, and found out that aluminum and S.S. especially don't match. There is actually some kind of chemical reaction that happens between S.S. and aluminum that makes them seize up. Had a friend who bought one of those all stainless bolt kits for his cb360 and decided not to use any anti seize. Not a good day for him when he decided to take the chain cover back off. :p

Nice good luck with the install! And yes I always use anti seize now, on everything... I highly rec. that bronze tube I listed. it has some weird metallic metal in it that makes the anti seize not melt off and last longer. It is truly great stuff that was reccomended to me by a long time mechanic several years ago. He said he used it on everything from rusty lug nuts to spark plugs and turbo manifold bolts that get really hot.
Its a pricey tube of anti seize, but will last years, I have only used maybe 1/5th so far. I apply very sparingly as you do not need much!

I purchased a set of those spokes for a Honda 360 rear wheel. I used one of Mike's XS 18" aluminum rims. The spokes laced nicely. I'd say on par with the OG spokes. I'll buy another set for the front wheel (drum brake) sometime in the future. This is not a major project for me, so I've not been in any hurry to get the bike on the road.

Back
Top Bottom