Ebay S.S. Spokes. Dont shoot me for asking

Tim said:
Don't forget to lube your nipples. Seriously - Buchanan spokes come with a little bottle of graphite lube or something. You need to do this.

Sure will Tim. I put anti-seize on most threaded fasteners that I use. (not just on my bikes). I think I still have some that is S.S. specific. Thanks for the heads up.

lsrcb175 said:
The HF balance stand doesn't have very good customer reviews but I went to check it out anyway ( good sale price now ). Told the clerk I wanted to buy it but wanted to open package to check it out since I read some bad reviews about bent shaft and stuck bearings. She said "ok". Rolled the shaft on a flat surface and it was good and all bearings were free so I bought it. Worked out great for holding the rim while truing it.

Did your HF balance stand come w/ any extras? How's it work for you? it looks like it'll do the job to me.

I have an old(telefix) one w/ different size shafts and was thinking of trying to set-up a truing fixture like you have on there 'Isrcb' but it doesn't have those little cones w/ that one size axle shaft that's held on either end like that HF one.
I called the brand new HF in Greensburg,PA. and they have 2 in stock $39.99 ea.

all you need for truing a wheel is your axle,spacers and swingarm or forks
in fact having the wheel bolted in tightly makes it easier to true because it cant jump out of those lil bearings
those tapered cones and spindle is for balancing it is more handy to have the wheel spinning very securely on its own bearings when truing
you can also just nail a cupl 2x4's hangin off the bench with holes fer yer axle, true and balance you dont have ta buy any crap from hf

Where to buy GR 650 tempter wheel spokes ?

Anybody know where to buy the spokes for standard GR 650 Tempter wheels (19 front and 16 back).

Any idea ?

hurco550 said:
They have not arrived yet, only been a few days since ordering though.

Right after I sent that reply I got an email that was a shipping confirmation for the spokes.

imtyson said:
Wow long confirmation process!

Eh kinda. I got the order confirmation much sooner. This was shipping confirmation. They are coming from Taiwan, so I didn't expect a super speedy delivery =p

Spokes showed up in the mailbox today. Ordered on Jan 28th and arrived 14 days later. I guess its not the fastest ever, but coming from Taiwan I don't think that it was to out of line. Came well packaged and no damage. Checked with a magnet and they do seem to indeed be stainless steel. I have not yet actually counted the nipples to make sure they are all there, but there are 20 of each spoke. They seem to be well made. I have nothing to compare them to as i have never bought spokes or laced a motorcycle wheel, but hey you gotta start somewhere right? I am glad that there is a really great thread on this forum on how to go about lacing them. The only qualm I have (which is fairly UN-substantial) is that they charged to ship the front and rear separate, but they all came in the same package. It was only $8 bucks "extra" though. I will keep this thread updated as I get them done. I have yet to pull the wheels apart so it may be a bit yet.... now I'm saving my pennies for powder coat or aluminum hoops. (don't know if i can swing the extra $400 for aluminum rims) Anyways, at this point they seem like an ok deal, but we will see when I try to lace them.

Don't look bad at all! I order some chrome plated ones from someone else. But yours looks nice too. Good luck lacing lol

Faster than mine are coming from Buchanan's! I'm seriously tired of their crap. I've had nothing but problems from them.

7aliveatlast7 said:
Faster than mine are coming from Buchanan's! I'm seriously tired of their crap. I've had nothing but problems from them.

Yeah that is pretty sad that these came quicker from Taiwan than yours are from Buchanan. Though to Buchanan's defense, they are probably custom making yours, and mine were already made and sitting on a shelf ready to ship..

UPDATE: On the HF true/balance stand. I was having a lot of trouble getting a final "true" on the rims. Would get one area right, go to another and get it right, come back and first was out! Seemed to be random. Was set to go back to using an old front fork, ala xb33bsa suggestion - had done that on the first wheels I re-laced couple years ago. Gave the HF stand / wheel setup one more engineering look and searched on why measurements were random and focused on that. Basically looking at where there could be tolerance stack-ups. Found a ton of issues - came down to the need to hold the rod fixed, which holds the inner bearing race fixed and you would eliminate almost all of them. Just clamped a pair of vice grips to the rod and kept it from rotating - let the wheel rotate on its bearings only. That fixed the issue and everything came out fine. Bottom line, make sure the inner bearing races are held fixed and that will give you the best chance for a good "true" I think.

lsrcb175 said:
UPDATE: On the HF true/balance stand. I was having a lot of trouble getting a final "true" on the rims. Would get one area right, go to another and get it right, come back and first was out! Seemed to be random. Was set to go back to using an old front fork, ala xb33bsa suggestion - had done that on the first wheels I re-laced couple years ago. Gave the HF stand / wheel setup one more engineering look and searched on why measurements were random and focused on that. Basically looking at where there could be tolerance stack-ups. Found a ton of issues - came down to the need to hold the rod fixed, which holds the inner bearing race fixed and you would eliminate almost all of them. Just clamped a pair of vice grips to the rod and kept it from rotating - let the wheel rotate on its bearings only. That fixed the issue and everything came out fine. Bottom line, make sure the inner bearing races are held fixed and that will give you the best chance for a good "true" I think.
The first set of wheels I built I took to the Wheel Master in Auburn to check my work. His truing stand is just some angle iron he welded together to cradle an axle or tube. That dude has been truing wheels for 40 years. good enough for him, good enough for me.

Yep. Built mine out of wood. Probably built 40 - 50 wheels on it (so far!). Looks like a total POS, but still works perfectly. It just sits on a table which makes it easy to use comfortably while drinking beer! Bolting the hub into the stand just like it bolts into the bike is the key. My stand has a bunch of different holes in it to fit various axle diameters. Stand cost me nothing except a little time and some 1 x 4 planks I had laying around. I have a piece of all thread that goes across it out by the rim which used to have a dial indicator mounted in it. These days I just clamp a stiff wire to it with vise-grips for an indicator. I always true to the inside of the rim where the tire goes so I never worry about scratching a rim. If I had ever thought I would get so much use out of it I would have made it a bit nicer, but just goes to show you can make some tools for cheap or even free with a little ambition!

Back
Top Bottom