cm400 first time build.

neondave

This is my first build never built a bike before and had the idea in my head for awhile and just needed to do something about it so i got this nice 1980 cm400 9k miles clean pa title here she is bone stock pretty clean. Paid 300 bucks for it the original motor spun a bearing after firing it up after sitting 5 years i got a new motor for 80 bucks i dont have alot into it 80 for the new motor 60 for the bars 30 for the seat 20 for the taillight 120 for new tires and 35 for throttle cables the rest i had laying Around. Not a bad budget build and jot to bad looking.

5N45E45J73E73J43N7c9uec26e8b51e0213f0-1.jpg

Heres what it looks like now chopped and boxed the frame hardtailed tc bros 12 inch apes pretty nice for never building a bike before.

2013-03-04_16-11-04_534_zpsc3e26c4f.jpg

2013-03-04_16-11-10_827_zps9618e87f.jpg

2013-03-04_16-11-17_292_zps7d7b45e1.jpg

2013-03-04_16-11-24_14_zps36f29986.jpg

Sitting now til i get my tires mounted

2013-03-08_18-20-54_318_zps4c7b0820.jpg

Beautiful bike man! I like what you did, looks a lot cleaner than mine so far. Where did you get all the parts for that cheap, especially the bars? And how does she ride without seat springs?

Ahh theres my little secret it has springs they are hidden under the skirt on the seat and thanks i got the bars straight from tc brothers website. Craigslist is your friend.

Still waiting to get my tires mounted hopefully tomorrow damn sundays! Its been so damn nice out but i gotta get it registered yet to. Not to worried about inspection it should be good i just wanna ride the damn thing lol.

Got my tires on after the bike fell off the jack luckily it didnt damage anything just scraped the forks thankfully the bike is so low it didnt fall far lol. Took it for alittle ride cuz its not registered yet but she runs great cant wait to get it on the road and asked a shop what the look for during a bike inspection and everything on my bike seems good it rides well to so hopefully it will pass inspection.

2013-03-11_16-53-08_259_zps70d9b885.jpg

2013-03-11_16-53-15_621_zps04d2b9c5.jpg

That skirt is a pretty awesome idea, you mind posting a picture up her skirt lmao?
And my bike is in the same position, not registered but I want to ride it bad lol.

Next time im at my garage ill get a pic of the springs i has to cut them and bend them to make the fit properly but it rides ok no complaints the seat is very comfortable so it helps.

There she is under the seat i found this seat on craigslist the guy said he took it off his 47 harley its a bar enterprises seat a very expensive seat i got for 30 bucks with springs but the springs were 5 inches so i heated them and cut them to size for a perfect fit and the skirt covers the springs so it looks smooth.

2013-03-13_16-55-10_201_zpsd8762354.jpg

I double checked the bike so when i take it for inspection everything looks good on it so i shouldnt have an issue maybe this friday ill have it registered and ready to ride.

Starting to think about what else i can do to my bike maybe get another swing arm and stretch it a bit and maybe make an actual hard tail out of it.

Finally got some good luck for shits and giggles i walked into the garage across the street from mine and asked em if they needed a mechanic lucky me they said they are backed up and need some help so i finally got myself a job. Time to put more money in the bike and get some more power out of my car shooting for 11s in the quarter maybe even finish my 79 cherokee chief thats been on the back burner since 1990 lol

Took the bike out for a little tank got rusty again so the carbs are all gummed up so gotta tare it all apart. Again

Don't build a hardtail using the swingarm. It looks odd, and performs poorly. If you want a chopper, get to chopping. And welding. And lots and lots of measuring... ;)

In PA you have to have shocks on the rear of the bike, if they came from the factory that way, to pass inspection. Just a heads up.

props to a fellow pa'er cutting up another honda cm. Not my style bike but i like the fact its a honda cm.. My cm450 is a couple threads down good luck

Inspections not an issue it will pass with flying colors as is. For reasons I'm not willing to discuss and the bikes great I seen a lot of cafe bike and personally I think they are the ugliest bikes I've ever seen with the bench seat its just terrible. This bike now its good enough til I save up to buy a nicer bike since I'm sure I can triple my money if I sold it I don't have a lot into it.

Its good to have connections and what not lol the bike came along great for never building a bike before I just kinda had it pictured in my head how I wanted to look I may change the paint a little not sure if I like the blue anymore was thinking of blacking it all out and doing the tank and headlight bucket olive drab I have some m60 belt fed ammunition laying around that would nice wrapped around the forks just not sure what I wanna do yet it rides pretty nice not to horribly stiff the seat springs help a bit for my first bike it will do just fine. I like hosslers bike as well but lower bars isn't my thing but the bike looks kick ass.

neondave said:
Starting to think about what else i can do to my bike maybe get another swing arm and stretch it a bit and maybe make an actual hard tail out of it.
Now you're talking

Back
Top Bottom