SLC CB360 Brat Build

TannerG

I bought this '74 CB360 almost two years ago after realizing I had no mechanical skills whatsoever. I had seen a lot of great bikes on the web and wanted something for myself.

My initial plan was to go completely cafe with it. I loved how lean and mean they looked and their minimalism really appealed to me. The first place I started was by adding a pair of clubman bars.

Being brand new to any of this, I had no idea that the control wires were internal in the stock bars. After about six hours with a rat-tail file and a lot of swearing I was able to get my wiring to run externally.

I had this setup for most of the summer last year but realized quickly how incredibly uncomfortable it is. I switched to a pair of drag bars and now am looking to get some sport bike bars to make them even more comfortable while still holding onto some of the minimalism.

I have a history in BMX and the aesthetics of having your bars higher than your seat really appeals to me. I loved brat bike before I knew what they were and decided that is the direction I want to move in now.

As far as other work that's been done. I had to replace the points, petcock, horn, blinkers, and brake pedal/light spring - simple stuff I know but it's been fun for me to see how everything works together. I've also removed the front fender and added a pair of Firestone Deluxes. I've since learned how polarizing those tires can be but I doubt this is going to be my only bike and it's more of a downtown cruiser than a highway warrior.

The plan is to as minimal as I can. I like the idea of doing 11" shocks in the rear, relocating the battery and all the electronics - along with using pod filters to clean up the rear triangle, opting for smaller mufflers and an off-white pipe wrap, getting a smaller headlight, minimal controls, and removing or finding a small tach. I also want to do a brat-style seat but want to use the stock pan so I don't have to cut or reweld the frame.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions and I know the proper place to ask them. I also know how common of a build this is so I don't expect anyone to follow with rapt attention, but this will be a great resource for me to keep track of my own progress and make friends with some like-minded people.

Attachments

• 100_0451.JPG
    100_0451.JPG
    645.1 KB · Views: 256
By the look of that donor bike you have a great start... Keep it simple, keep en equal eye on the proportions as you have on the mechanics and you'll end up with a lovely brat.

Loads of inspiration on DTT. Check all the Bike of the Month builds too. Lot's of great CB contenders in there to inspire you.

Definitely looks like a great well cared for bike to start with. I'd reccomend not taking that good looking seat apart, but rather selling it for $100 or so and getting another matching pan from a bad seat.

I happen to have one sitting on a shelf asking for some clean up and paint. It will cost you a whole 10 minute trip to Murray and the $0 bill in your pocket.

I was actually sad when I uploaded that pictures as it's two years ago and that perfect seat is ripped pretty badly now. Otherwise there's no way I would have messed with it.

Damn utards, always coming in here and causing problems ;)

Looks like a good start man, if ya need some tools or help there are a few of us around willing to lend a hand.

Got new bars (again). I've been through the stock bars, a pair of clubmans, and some drag bars. Last night I threw on a pair of sport bars with a new throttle tube and some soft grips and took her for a spin. I can't believe how much more comfortable of a ride it is when I have an extra two inches in rise.

8962996648_c911b6c6c7_n.jpg

Here's a shot of how bad my seat is starting to look. I wish it weren't the case as I know how good the condition was when I got it. Unfortunately a minor tear in the vinyl quickly got out of hand.

8961813687_7134f04f0c_n.jpg

I can't figure out what I want to do for mirrors.

I bought a pair of barends but the balance between functionality and minimalism wasn't nearly as good as I was hoping for. Anyone used anything they absolutely love? I know Utah only requires one, and I think that's a good way to go, I just have to figure out what I want.

Next step from here is to get some mufflers and tan pipe wrap added on. Although my carbs are freshly cleaned and she's running, she feels a bit boggy so it might be time to just commit to getting the mufflers, pods, and new jets.

A man after my own heart. Handlebars got ya down? I think that was the hardest aesthetic decision I had to make. I had the exact same thought on keeping my stock seat. I cut it way down but the pan humps up so much in the middle. It kinda reminded me of a fat lady after lipo. Weighs less, but still an awkward shape. It's just "big boned"

Keep it up. I'm in. Pretty good read so far.

Harley mirrors. Pull your lever screws, drop the HD mirrors in place of them. Same sized hole (8mm) on my 1963 and 1971 CLs. Use Emgo cheap crap close-outs until you find the right style, and expect them to rust. Even in the desert. I even use one on my bike hauler (1969 Dodge long bed 1/2 ton), cat eye style mirror on an L bracket.

If it can rust it will rust in Utah. Haha. Between our salty soil and the salt on the roads when it gets cold we are lucky to still have bikes after the thaw. Hell my metal rusts over the winter sitting in the shop.

I'll definitely give the Harley mirrors a try. I'm running the stock guys in there until I have a replacement figured out for sure. So hopefully no rust issues for me.

Question for the other Utah men - what does the State require we have on our bikes. I know if it's older than a '73 you don't need signals. However, when I was getting safety done on it a month or so ago the guy was really thorough. Checked to make sure my idiot box had all three lights working, my brake light worked with both the lever and the pedal, and that my speedo and tach worked as well. I couldn't find anything on the State's website about all those elements being required by law (not that they're not a good idea to have on there).

Tanner - the basics are for motorcycles. T/S front and rear, Running lights, brake light, high/low beam headlight, tires with 2/32 left, 1/32 left on brakes, working speedo/tach, head bearings must be tight, fenders front and rear, good chain, fork seals and rear shocks cannot be leaking

If you want to read over the actual inspection docs: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/highwaypatrol/safetyinspections/docs/2011-2012%20SI%20Motorcycle%20Manual.pdf

Thanks for the quick response danejurrous. I'm surprised my bike passed last month as I don't have a front fender on it.

TannerG said:
Thanks for the quick response danejurrous. I'm surprised my bike passed last month as I don't have a front fender on it.

No problem man happy to help. Do you put a fork brace on their after removing the front fender? If not I would highly suggest it because it will cause rideability issues without one and with the awesome weather we have been having lately its good to have something if you get stuck in the rain.

Back
Top Bottom