A-65 DeadTail Restart

I need to buy one more bench motor to setup just for polishing, but those things make flammable dust everywhere lol.

Few adjustments and the slashers will be ready to wake the hounds

ba4bf85562cf7cb013da09f1b340c310.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

teazer said:
That's looking good now. BTW, I still think my welding looks worse than yours... :)

I tried hard to get that look

Real deal is the shits so thin you can't really pull the trigger and go welding and get any full penetration so I left a gap and pulse welded it... that plan was to grind and buff all along. Erick tossed in a sweet idea to use old burned up flap wheels and now I know why I save them dinner.

e38716684cb231df2cdcc08662a74e6f.jpg

It's fun to work on.

Gotta thank XB for the slashers he gave me a sweet deal... not quite as good as the $20 swap meet/garage sale sticker still on the left pipe but well worth shipping and a few bucks ;D The sticker stays for sure.

The kick shaft is real good but has that wear from kicking against the pin. I keep setting up to build up the worn spot with weld (less than 3/16" X 1/4") using a leather cooling pouch on the backside, but still cant get over the annealing heat and loosing the temper... Should I TIG it or MIG it, I can preheat just a tad, hit it with several short pulses allowing for cooling between on either process.

3a84acd29f5ccc60c0921585b7e7c2b5.jpg

Anyone got a better plan?

Unless you get it red hot, you're not going to lose the anneal. Letting cool slowly is going to keep it's temper. Are those shafts hardened steel?

Your gonna put less heat overall into the material with a few short mig welds than you will putting the same amount of weld with the tig.

Thanks David!

File test says hard but not real hard Eric.

I was thinking same Hurc. And I dont have a cart for my TIG setup, I like it by the bench so I'll shoot a few boogers at it and clean it up... hell if it lasted 50 years I'll never have to do it again.

hurco550 said:
Your gonna put less heat overall into the material with a few short mig welds than you will putting the same amount of weld with the tig.
Nah, that is just one half-second blot with the tig at about 100A. Should not make a difference in the end.

datadavid said:
Nah, that is just one half-second blot with the tig at about 100A. Should not make a difference in the end.
I'm not gonna argue about it, either way you do it. The shaft will be fine.

Idk what's going on, it does say your blocked and won't let me undo it. I sure didn't block you on purpose anyhow. Let me try and figure it out

Tune-A-Fish© said:
Hurco man... I'm trying to reply to the spacer PM and you have somehow blocked me :-\
Try pm now. I think it's sorted. Still don't know what happened

So this strange leather strip apparently fits nicely here in the middle of my rat tank

bffbc0e1a0b066b14a3fab22120daed9.jpg

60c906913654f2d690559b66b0622d9a.jpg

39d1a7ce66bcc6aa6ba542b35b3a69c1.jpg

2621a7106ebc112fc56a1b8e5fb4cfd3.jpg

Yeah, I know gas will ruin it and it's not perfect but I like it

Nice. I like the leather. A mink oil rub should take care of that stuff just fine.

Yep. Dig it. The flea market down the street has strips of hide and leather for cheap. I'm gonna pick some up for the XL.

Back
Top Bottom