Wife's CL175 - How do I remove old tanker sealer?

Basically got the carbs done. Tuesday I'll be ordering new floats (wasn't able to save the originals). Only other thing is to find out where to set the throttle stop screws and the air screws. I wasn't thinking and just took them out. Part way through I thought, Dang it! I should have checked where these were set. Anyone know where they should be set?

Anyway, didn't take any pics of the inside but here's the outside. The shiny was just quickly trying out my dremel polishing attachment.
IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

Still researching to find out the best way to remove the sealer in the gas tank and reline it.

On top of basically finishing the carbs I figured I should look into the petcock and dropped it into the ultrasonic cleaner. It was NASTY. The screen wouldn't come out and as soon as the cleaner came out clouds of junk started "floating" out.

I was all ready to put it all back together and started cleaning out the bowl. I was contemplating dropping it in for another round of cleaning since it was still a little rough inside. It was then that I noticed something.

Do you see it?
IMG_0770.jpg

How about now?
IMG_0771.jpg

If you couldn't see it before you should in this picture.
IMG_0772.jpg

Yep, a dang hole in the bowl.
IMG_0773.jpg

As you can see from the pictures there are a lot of "divots" in there. I was a little surprised. Guess I should have left all the gunk since it was keeping the hole clogged up. :eek: Guess I'll be ordering one of these now.

You may be able to drop a little drop of solder, on the inside and outside of that bowl to fix that hole. Did I miss something, how did the get blue? Those top caps look great! Nice work

Mixture screw is 2 turns out I believe, and the idle speed screw is adjusted when the carbs are tuned. I don't think there is a stock setting as all bikes are different.

Those impact screw drivers are amazing. Such a life saver and so simple.

I might give it a try on fixing the bowl. If not, it's not biggie since they're about 12 bucks new.

If you're talking about the carbs being blue that's just the high tech camera of my iphone 4 :)

Thank you for the mixture screw turns. I couldn't find them anywhere in the PDF manuel I have.

And yes, I love that impact screw driver. It's now on my Christmas list. I don't think I would have been able to get the oil filter cover off without it. From the looks of the screws someone else had already tried and failed.

Start at 1 1/4 turns from fully in on the air screws.

While teh carbs are off, you might want to check the two holes for the pilot jet. Look into the throat of the carb from the motor side and you will see two holes. One is vertical and just under the slide. That's the hole the pilot mixture comes out of. The other one is just forward of the first one and it's the bleed hole. They both need to be clean and they both clog up.

If they are not clean you will go mad trying to get the bike to run properly.

Thanks teazer for the advice. All passage ways are clear. These carbs spent a number of hours in my ultrasonic cleaner... then they were thoroughly rinsed with very hot water... followed by a blow drying with my air compressor. I blew through ever hole in both directions and made sure I felt air coming out the other side. I'm confident in these carbs. I just have to get them set right ;)

Went to the bike shop today and ordered about $90.00 worth of odds and ends. Two new floats... various o-rings... etc. Should all be here by the weekend. Not sure if I'll actually get around to getting it all done this weekend though.

Questions...
- Still no one has an opinion on the tank?
- Is the fuel line 1/4"? I got some 1/4" clear line from the Auto parts store and it slips on and off the carbs with ease. I need something smaller. Do they just have line that is a little too big?
- Still wondering what size tires 3.00-18 and 3.25-18 are in modern sizes.

Thanks

The fuel line is metric and a bit smaller than 1/4". I cant recall exactly what size. I did find some at a Yamaha dealer ship, but it was pretty expensive. Like $4 a ft. I usually just buy 1/4" because I generally find it a lot cheaper and just put a hose clamp or zip tie on it and never had a problem.

Also, some guy in town here told me to just grab some of the small clear hose from the plumbing department in Home Depot he uses it. I did grab some to try it out. I think its like $10 for 10 feet. So far its been just fine. Make sure you run inline fuel filters too.

Found these hope they help.
http://www.cb450stuff.com/tires/
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevylist/tech/tire_size_conversion.htm

Metric fuel line should be pretty easy to find, but if you use 1/4" you need to really clamp it on. Can't help with the tank. Clear lines have a tendency to turn yellow and harden with age (not all, but every one I've tried). A 3.00" tire would technically convert to a 76.2/100 in metric sizes.

25.4mm in an inch
3.00 times 25.4 = 76.2
The second number in a metric size is the aspect ratio (or percentage) of the height and width. So "/100" means the tire is as tall as it is wide.

And for the record, a 3.25 tire converts to a 82.55/100 in metric. Since you aren't going to find a 76.2 or 82.55 /100 tire, round up the numbers. Either a 80/100 and a 90/100 (good luck finding those) or a 80/90 and a 90/90 which should be much easier to find.

regarding the tank, I just saw on the Caswell site that you should use a paint stripper containing Methylene Chloride (Dichloromethane) to remove failed Kreem and POR-15 coatings. You should be able to find something at a Lowe's or Home Depot. Toss some drywall screws inside to knock all the crap loose. If you plan on recoating, I would recommend the Caswell. Everyone I've seen that's used it (and followed the directions to a T) has been happy with it.

Thanks you three.

So metric fuel line. I'll see if my local shop has any. I'll also check Lowe's to see if they have something close.

I have been doing a lot of digging around on the tires. This is kinda frustrating. Looks like my two options are to go a little bigger or a little smaller. I can get those Gazelle tires in a 2.75 and 3.00 or I can get Avons at 90/90 and 100/90. I'd like the larger tires, but looking at the price difference I'll probably go with the Gazelles... unless I'm missing something.

Oh, and I went and checked the rims. They read 1.60AX18 and 1.85BX18. Guessing the A & B have to do with front and back. From a learning perspective, could someone tell me how to take 1.60 and get 3.00 sized tires?

flatcurve, thanks a bunch on the tank advice. I think I'll remove it just to be safe. I'm sure Lowe's will have something. I'll go looking this weekend.

Again guys, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom