who has air filter pods?

calmoc9

i don't have any patches actually....
just pulled the breather and carbs to clean them. f'n nasty. considering replacing the huge air box with pods. search brought up little. what do you use? again, i love pictures.

scott

Which bike is it again? Check out www.bikebandit.com for pods. I'm using UNI foam pods on my XS650 cafe racer project. Dead simple looking - just black foam.

I use the cheap emgo pods from: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/ You can find them under Fuel System Parts. (I'd provide a direct link, but CRC still uses frames). I believe that Carpy uses them on his bikes too.

What bike do you have? I had to rejet my cb750 to a 130 main. I went through 3 sets of jets before I got it right. Each bike responds differently to pods. From my research, people are running anywhere from 122 mains to 138s, with a multitude of needle clip settings. So keep that in mind if you do decide to go with pods. One last thing, what ever pods you end up going with, I recommend oiling with K&N filter oil. I spent a lot of time testing and tuning. Oiling the pods made the biggest difference in performance for me.

And since you like pictures, here's one from Carpy's site:
4bc72803c7423f946b21ec1af9725631.jpg

I've run pods on alot of bikes, the jetting can be a PITA. Usually I just go up one-two main size(s), (depending on what kind of carb), either shim the needles or play with the clip settings.

its a 75 cb 750f. is there a scientific way to choose the size of the main jet, or is it just trial and error? how do you know when you have the right size jet? a/f ratio? smell?

scott

It was trial and error for me. The running characteristics of the bike let me know whether to go up or down. A plug chop will help you determine whether you are running lean or rich. Rich conditions will show sooty black carbon deposits on the plugs. You will notice some bogging down upon giving it some throttle. In this case, you will eventually foul plugs and lose power. A lean condition will result in white plugs. The bike will surge and hunt for rpms when you ride it. The plugs become white because they are running white hot. They are not getting enough fuel for proper ignition. Don't ride like this for very long if this is the case. The ideal plug reading will show tan plugs. The rpms should be pretty smooth throughout the rpm range. A lean condition for me caused a flat spot in the rpms between 3000 - 5000 rpms. As you can see, it is trial and error. I know people who won't go to pods because it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Before you do any of this, make sure you have all the tuning items sorted out: valve adjustment, cam chain, ignition timing/points gap. After you get your carbs rebuilt, you'll need a proper carb sync.

Resurected because there are already some good tips in here, but I do have a question.

I'm trying to help a friend jet his Nighthawk 650 to the pods, we went up one step, and it stalls out when we take the choke off or when you try to rev it up. So we went up another step on the jets, same effect. Problem is the plugs are coming out jet black. It will idle forever with the choke on at least halfway. Is there anything else we should be checking?

I put pods on my CB750 . Looks cooler but I kind of lost some snot doing it . CB750s tend to run better with a box .

I'd recommend one of these from experience .
funky%20air%20filters.JPG

Hmmm, what are those?

We couldn't get the airbox to fit back in. Probably has something to do with it being a 650 engine in a 550 frame. :D

xci.ed6 said:
Resurected because there are already some good tips in here, but I do have a question.

I'm trying to help a friend jet his Nighthawk 650 to the pods, we went up one step, and it stalls out when we take the choke off or when you try to rev it up. So we went up another step on the jets, same effect. Problem is the plugs are coming out jet black. It will idle forever with the choke on at least halfway. Is there anything else we should be checking?
so you went up one and plugs are black then decided to go up another and same result. Perhaps you didn't even need to rejet at all.

Stock jets it did the same thing, and Nighthawk forums says the bike runs lean stock.

I think something else is wrong, and I'm going to tear the carbs down to square one and start over. The floats aren't even adjustable on his carbs, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

I found that if I whack it wide open, it will rev up, but it does not like the midrange at all. Maybe I'll do a few ignition kill plug checks before I pull the carbs back off to get some better information.

xci.ed6 said:
Stock jets it did the same thing, and Nighthawk forums says the bike runs lean stock.

I think something else is wrong, and I'm going to tear the carbs down to square one and start over. The floats aren't even adjustable on his carbs, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

I found that if I whack it wide open, it will rev up, but it does not like the midrange at all. Maybe I'll do a few ignition kill plug checks before I pull the carbs back off to get some better information.
floats aren't adjustable? Post a pic up of this. Anyway, plugs could be the culprit.

I think I got it, spent a few minutes on it yesterday (busy weekend) and unscrewed the pilot jets 1 turn. Now it almost idles with the choke off, and revs. Midrange is still weak, and there are no low speed jets [available] for the bike. So I told him to drop some washers under the needles and see what happens.

He tells me the floats are entirely plastic, and clip to the float needles. I can't remember, I make him to the jet swaps. If we have to pull the bowls back off I'll get pictures.

Back
Top Bottom