Formula IV

that was my original plan. but a titled VW roller in awful cosmetic shape. Build a new frame and suspension and be able to drive it on the street. I think the VW bug thing is a little played out, and wanted to do something a little less "in the box".

I may still go that route though. You know what they say about low hanging fruit.

Get a BMW airhead engine :)

VW engines are air cooled. Just a fan on them.

maybe i'm boxing myself into some problems too soon.

What would be the most logical type of power plant for this project?

If you want light then you need simple. Air cooled would be the way to go.

This.
new-morgan-3wheel-616x316-thumb-616xauto-21824.jpg

How about a Busa motor??
Or even better………. this sounds like fun http://www.radicalperformanceengines.com/Powertec-Macroblock-v8/

S&S crate motors come to mind, but you'll be looking at a good chunk of change from the get-go. You could probably find a beat up mid-90's "custom built super huge nutsack chopper" (you know the ones) with like a 124 ci v-twin for fairly cheap these days. Those long low bastards with all the show chrome don't get the attention they used to (thank god)

A wrecked Busa might be a good way to go. Slap on a turbo and light that bitch up.

so i've got 4 options…

1. something air-cooled and run front engine, rear wheel drive.
2. VW beetle engine, still air cooled but mid engine, rear wheel drive.
3. a goldwing motor, mid engine, rear wheel drive (shaft drive to chain drive conversion)

either of those would get me my desired power range of 80-100 HP…. or

4. sport bike engine.

#4 would be the most complicated, I think, considering it's most likely fuel injection (something i've never worked on), but the motors are readily available and parts are abundant and cheap.

#3 sounds like it might be the best of "cheap/easy to find" and "reliable". I'm sure i'm not seeing all the angles though.

Hopefully someone who has personally built something similar will chime in with some knowledge. I'm not clever enough to have been the first guy to try and build one of these in his garage.

What about a CB750 with an 836 or 900 kit, cam, etc.? Would be a monster and still be carbureted and air cooled.

You could also get an earlier model 1000-1100cc Sportbike motor that is Carb'ed. FZR1000, GSXR1100, etc.

Mounting a small radiator would be simple.

JustinLonghorn said:
You could also get an earlier model 1000-1100cc Sportbike motor that is Carb'ed. FZR1000, GSXR1100, etc.

Mounting a small radiator would be simple.

are there diminishing returns the further the radiator is from the engine? I would like to keep this mid-engined for balance.

Just a thought... back in the early '70's the SCCA had a D Sports class. Can't remember the weight limit, but I think it couldn't be under 650lbs. The cars were built by their owners. Used 3/4" DOM square tubing for bulk heads and aluminum panels (pop rivets held it all together). Any engine could be used as long as it didn't exceed 850cc. People were using bored out Honda CB750, Suzuki GT750's, Kawasaki H2's, Rotax and others. The fastest were the two strokes. They could easily break 120mph on the straights, and the sound coming out of the chambers was pure music.

Vintage Indy Car replica. Kawasaki triple smoker motor. Electronic assist shifter hooked to buttons on the steering wheel (ala F1 cars). Modify a VW Beetle pedal assembly for the gas/brake/clutch as they (gas/clutch) were cable/linkage operated. Use the VW master to run juice disks at all four corners. Any old two piston sportbike calipers set up on spindle mounted brackets would work fine. Yamaha XS650 spoked wheels (early high shoulder 19") with FZR rotors. Use the VW ball joint front end narrowed for your chassis, with custom machined VW spindles up front. Out back you can use a four wheeler rear end, and suspension. Simple "H frame" tube chassis. Very similar to modern "Karts". The body will be tough, but doable. Make it in sections and rivet it together.

Car is A Lotus F1 with Jackie Stewart if I'm not mistaken.

Lots of choices. I like the idea of a GL1800 boxer with its stock ECU and injection/ignition ECU for reliability and torque. And they come with reverse. Paddle shifters are available in electronic up/down versions and can be activated by paddles or buttons. It might be fun to investigate a light front engine rear drive differential/rear axle to use the shaft drive but that might be a tall order. I'd look at the way a Jag rear axle works and then engineer a similar solution but with smaller/lighter components.

Check out the Atom for chassis ideas and to see how they did what they did http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/ and their US manufacturer TMI http://www.arielatom.com/ They used a transverse mounted Honda car motor right at the rear end, but it's innovative and should spark the though process.

AFAIK, D sports racing is still around. I have a buddy building one for a customer with a 1000cc GSX-R engine. Might be worth looking at.

D Sports Racing is still active. The champion two years ago had a turbo charged 600cc and lapped Road America faster than a Lemans Prototype 2.

They had at least $200,000 in that car. Even the less exotic cars that use more standard configurations can be expensive. Again, oil scavenging is a huge concern. A proper dry sump system can be thousands of dollars alone. Engine rebuilds occur often.

Of course, this is solved by using a two-stroke motor. The 750GT engine was a popular choice. In fact, my father built an aluminum semi-monocoque D Sports Racer that utilized the water buffalo in the early 70's.

Front engine front drive units are great for moving to the back of cars. The Atom is a great example. Another example is my father's Mini.
IMG_0431-e1374255638131.jpg

IMG_0438-e1374255592452.jpg

John McCAnn just finished rebuilding his Ocelot powered (GT750) aluminum tub race car. GT750 was a popular engine for D class.

Not EXACTLY on the topic, but this thread regarding cyclecars from the HAMB might get your wheels turning regarding powerplant and design.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226791

Back
Top Bottom