Cam chain in a1982 CB650

TheCoffeeGuy

Books, Books, Books, knowledge is within
i need to put a new cam chain in a CB650 1982. i am to the point where i need to crack the cases. The FSM suggests taking the main shaft out and a bunch of other stuff. All the bolts are out and i cannot seem to crack the seal on the cases.

Techniques? Tricks?

Understand that. You can break a link on each, connect an end of each, spin it through the motor, and button the new one up.

Splitting the cases to put a new can chain in is an unnecessary hassle.

Feeding the chain will be no problem, I am concerned about breaking a brand new chain, and then just pressing it back in the link. pressing out a link is not the issue, its the integrity of pressing back in the link i am concerned about.

My understanding always was that if the chain came with a removable link, then ok use that.

My last Cam chain adventure was on the CL540 where the specified link was ground off and a new Joining link was flared on.

Prior to that had the CB350 where the FSM stated to never break the chain for replacement. Crack the case, loop the cam chain on the Crank then reassemble.

I just don't want to pres in a new chain only for it to give way at some point and make a mess of the top end rebuild.

The FSM for the 650 only gives max and min stretch specs, not any reinstall procedures. It is in the Crank case dis-assembly portion though.

Hell if i don't have to crack the case i am happy! Clean up the bolts, torque em back on and I can concentrate on the top end.

If you're doing a full re-build on the motor than splitting the cases to install a new cam chain makes sense, but if you are just replacing the cam chain then splitting the cases is way too much work.

So any hints on splitting the cases? the top end is off and I have been listing what i need, but i have been unable to open the cases.

You sure you got all these?

honda-cb650sc-1982-nighthawk-650-usa-crankcase_bighu0219e0c13_0677.gif

Back
Top Bottom