Bike starting

Disco

So.. My bike is an 81

Everyday i start it , its turn and starts but shuts off..

After a few trys it starts and runs as i rev it to 5k and then Im off

Whats going on with it. Is it fuel, Starter// etc.

my guess is that it's a honda, cold blooded and needs choke to start. If I don't use choke when cold (overnight sit) mine won't even start. Then if I don't warm it up I have to leave the choke on for the first 2 minutes of the ride and it still runs like crap, then it hits operating temp and works beutifully well. If I stop and srtart it all day, never needs choke and never bogs or acts up. Got to get the bike warm to run and that is a honda, and some other bikes quirk.

Cheers,

Maritime

is this the bike?

57100613.jpg

was there a cable that ran between the choke linkage on the carbs and the handlebars, that's been removed? how about:

- operate the choke linkage on the carbs directly with your finger or a screwdriver

- fabricate some replacement cable

- lift the seat and throw a rag over the intake into the air filter box until the engine warms up a bit

Buy a replacement cable assembly, or jury-rig a replacement that works directly off the linkage. Not hard or expensive.

- boingk

boingk said:
Buy a replacement cable assembly, or jury-rig a replacement that works directly off the linkage. Not hard or expensive.

- boingk

The Choke cable ran between the handle bars

Where is a How to on this??

anyone

The bike did not start at all this morning. Later in the day it did

Is there any harm to me leaving the fuel on?

you might want to go here

http://www.hondacb650.com/

and do a search for........choke cable

the handlebar mounted choke cable seemed like a good idea at the time...but turned out to be a PITA...metal corrodes, plastic breaks, etc...

seems some people swap 750 carbs onto the 650 just to get back to the old fashioned choke lever on the carb...

Disco said:
anyone

The bike did not start at all this morning. Later in the day it did

Is there any harm to me leaving the fuel on?

Yes there is a big harm in leaving the fuel on.

Well there shouldn't be, but there can be. If your carb floats or valves aren't in good working order, you can flood the engine with fuel, overflow all over your bike and the ground etc. and when you go to fire it up, you'll REALLY fire it up.

Good practice to ALWAYS close your petcocks when stopped, even if it's only for 5 minutes (and make sure your petcocks are working properly too!)

Back
Top Bottom