Helmets

dcwp said:
I don't think I'd wear it, but that helmet is kinda cool in its own way. It reminds me of the one Luke Skywalker was wearing when he blew up the DeathStar.

Yeah, I think they state in their advertising that they're referencing 60's Japanese sci-fi and Steve McQueen all rolled into one!

forcefanajd said:
It's definately a cool helmet but I couldnt justify spending $1000 on it.

Understood, and very much appreciated. But, I wanted it and even my wife picked the colour scheme (when your wife has a hand in your buying a helmet, you definitely don't complain!). Plus, I sold something I wasn't using at a profit to specifically buy this. Some money goes in the household account, some goes into the helmet, everyone's happy.

Road tested the helmet today - very very nice! It's much quieter than my Davida Classic Jet or Davida Speedster, and feels very protective. As an eyeglasses wearer, I'm very thankful for the extra room around the ears. That shield takes a bit of getting used to, as it's very long, and have to watch when doing a shoulder check that I don't pop the visor up. It will be interesting to try the other two shields that come with the helmet (medium smoke and dark smoke), and it would also be worth a try without a shield and using goggles - if that's possible.

Overall, very happy with this new lid - it makes me want to go faster!

Vince Lupo said:
Kids - this is the only helmet to get.

Ateliers Ruby Belvedere in 'France' motif.....just arrived today!

Ruby does make awesome helmets. My wife wants a cream Pavillon. Thing is, I'm way too vain to let something happen to my face--or more importantly, my wife's. We'll see which direction we decide to go.

Regardless, well done! You have good taste.

--Chris

Vince,

I think it's a good looking helmet, pricey but if the wife approves what the hell!!!! From looking at the website, Ruby does seem to go for quality. I'll be curious to see how you like it at the end of the riding season. It does have that 60's sci-fi look, a matching flight suit and you're all set.

Let's see it all togehter, you, helmet on the bike...

Scott

chrisf said:
Ruby does make awesome helmets. My wife wants a cream Pavillon. Thing is, I'm way too vain to let something happen to my face--or more importantly, my wife's. We'll see which direction we decide to go.

--Chris

Thanks Chris - I'll try to do a shot of the whole outfit - Belstaff Trialmaster, Vampire Defender boots, and the Ruby.

The Ruby is in good company here - along with two Davidas, I have an Arai Profile 'Flag UK'. Maybe that's another photo!

chrisf said:

--Chris

No doubt! I'm no gear nazi, but I like as much armor as I can afford!

I justify it this way: I have several friends who have multiple bikes, so much of their money is spread out over several projects. I only have the SuperHawk, and it's mostly done, so I can channel my money into other things - like cool motorcycle clothing!

Now that I have the Ruby, I'm keyed into the North Los Angeles Motocycle Club/Four Aces Cycle Supply, and they are making these very nice retro racing sweaters. As well, they're manufacturing a copy of the sweater that Lee Marvin wore in the The Wile One (black and white striped). There used to be a fellow out of Texas called Ghost Motor Clothes, but unfortunately he went out of business a couple of years ago. So finding this kind of stuff that you can't get at Motorcycle Superstore is getting more difficult, and when I do find it, I really latch on.

An action shot with the full regalia: Ateliers Ruby Belvedere 'France' helmet, Belstaff Trialmaster Jacket, Lee Parks deerskin gauntlets, Vampire Defender boots, G-Star '96' jeans, silk scarf, Steve McQueen t-shirt (you'll have to trust me on that one).

VinnyRide.jpg

Vince Lupo said:
An action shot with the full regalia: Ateliers Ruby Belvedere 'France' helmet, Belstaff Trialmaster Jacket, Lee Parks deerskin gauntlets, Vampire Defender boots, G-Star '96' jeans, silk scarf, Steve McQueen t-shirt (you'll have to trust me on that one).

VinnyRide.jpg

All jokin aside, its looks pretty cool!!..

Leon, Ive seen through different pics all over this site that you have a collection of different styled and or painted up helmets. Could you break down what kind they are, where you got them and how much they are? Every time I see one of your helmets I want it :)

Nice helmets but for 800$ ? Rather buy a 300$ Davida and take the other 500$ and put it into mods .

NJWanker said:
Nice helmets but for 800$ ? Rather buy a 300$ Davida and take the other 500$ and put it into mods .

Yes they're definitely not for everyone. I have two Davidas and they're fine (plus an Arai Profile Flag UK which was over $600), but I just wanted something different, and I didn't really want a MOMO or a Cromwell, Nolan etc (though I did consider them). Don't know how much of a premium carbon fibre adds to the cost of a helmet, but the Ruby is carbon fibre while the Davidas are not, and the helmet comes with three shields (clear, medium smoke, dark smoke). And I suppose there's that issue of so-called 'exclusivity' of 'luxury' brands. For example, I collect vintage wrist watches, and I think that vintage Hamilton watches tell time just as well and look as good as a Rolex, but Rolex is certainly more expensive than Hamilton. Don't really know how much of a quality difference there is, but you're certainly paying for the 'name' as well. That said, the Ruby helmet is of very high quality, and you probably won't very many of them on the street, if ever. Just a personal choice, that's all.

Vince,

Don't listen to Loco Leon. :p
Afterall, he is loco.
You have an awesome high quality helmet. The French color scheme was definitely the way to go!

orlandocv

I'm using the Diamondback by Simpson. Yes, Stig's helmet, peoples reaction is hillarious if they've seen the show.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4671&sort=

Fits like a glove too.

andyvy said:
I'm using the Diamondback by Simpson. Yes, Stig's helmet, peoples reaction is hillarious if they've seen the show.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4671&sort=

Fits like a glove too.

Itsnt the pointed front part of the helmet a pain in the ass?

Back
Top Bottom