78 XS 750...special to tracker/scrambler

Oh and BTW just in case any of you guys working on XS's hasn't seen this thread on what tire size works over on Yamaha Tripples here it is.
http://www.yamaha-triples.org/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16390

Psy

Wow, sweet link with all the tyres that fit! This would have been helpful when I was deciding :eek:

Yeah sure, heres a link to a bit of a write up about the bike:

http://www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com/jadusbikes

Hi Guys
The only concern I have is that the data is for road tyres and the specified dimensions are on the carcus not the tread. 120/80 - 18 appears to be the most widely available size, but as you guys have found it only just fits and we are wanting scrambler tyres with a more aggressive tread. Just a bit worried that the outside knobs could cause a problem on the 120s?
I am also running Avon Roadriders M23s on my 750 but I did go for the XS spec 3.25" front and 4.00" rear - great tyres.
The Avon Trailrider M53 looks a great option but the front only goes down to 100/90 with rears at 110/80 or 120/80. Hopefully if a 120 M23 fits then a 120 M53 will also fit.
The other option I was getting interested in is the Pirelli Scorpion AT90, the 120/80 -18 is widely available but even though they list a 90/90 - 19 front, I cannot locate one anywhere????
And a miss-match of Dunlop D604 120/80 – 18 & Bridgestone TW101 100/90 - 19
Guess it is a first world problem though!!!!
Watching with interest as to how we all go.
Cheers
Tim

Yes the knobbies are a concern I think ill risk the 120/80 18 and if it rubbs ill end up grinding the swinger a little and/or shaving the tire blocks slighlt... Im hoping the amout of material that needs removed will be minimal.. I dont mind massaging a little but I dont want to compromise safety. It will be bridge ill cross when i have to..... for now I HAVE to get this seat done and the front brakes sorted... arg..i need a couple of uninterrupted days....

Psy

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Psy
Don't think I would grind the swingarm. Hit with a hammer would be OK, but removing metal will weaken it. I am looking at a second hand Pirelli Scorpion MT90 A/T 120/80-18 to check clearances. Then measure the clearance between drive shaft and swing arm wall. Make up a dolly so I can hammer down the wall to a fixed point controlled by the dolly. That's the theory anyway.
Whatever you do don't grind the swingarm!
Cheers
Tim

There is a local guy who has about 5 750's and 850's in parts and hes sold/given me some parts along the way to help with this build. He says the 850 swingarms will bolt up and are wider he also says there are several from other Yamaha models of the same aera that will work with some minor modification ie: some virago and Maxim models... I wasn't anywhere near that stage last time I talked to him so I didnt get details but I may go back and pick his brain a little bit. I wouldnt grind on the swing arm without some additional bracing... im a long way from that at this point a
in any case...for now i just want to get it going down the road under its own power ..

Psy

A few updates. Finished the seat and its now mounted. Didn't turn out the way I wanted but fo never doing anything like this before Im happy enough with it for now. front brakes are bled and working now after a rebuild/mod on a brand new cheap chinese ebay master... signal flasher sorted homemade right side cover fitted with army surplus tool bag... ( it is not in the way at all) new Biltwell grips on and crappy mirrors on for inspection and until I decide what to do there. Moded petcocks and fixed leaks. Took it for a little shake down cruise it ran OK sounds nice but now begins the task of rejetting and fine tuning the carbs. Also might have been a miss towards the end of the ride so I will have to retest the coils when they are warm.

Psy
ae552151b458fb66d1998f9f34aee9e0.jpg
33c2f62b39fdba6b9dff0aa8f12b2267.jpg
238ad42ee1274dc2f360e3cd2980bb10.jpg

Great to see her up and running. I wasted a lot of time and effort tuning jets by not sorting the air leaks first, on the carbi rubber mounts and throttle shaft seals. If you take the rubber boots off and squeeze them - if there are any visible cracks then in the bin. Check the throttle shaft seals - they should be soft, mine were hard as a rock.
Any missing or back firing can be caused by a lean mixture = pods + possible air leaks.
Any progress on new tires?
Cheers
Tim

Psycrow said:
A few updates. .... homemade right side cover fitted with army surplus tool bag... "

Psy
ae552151b458fb66d1998f9f34aee9e0.jpg
33c2f62b39fdba6b9dff0aa8f12b2267.jpg
238ad42ee1274dc2f360e3cd2980bb10.jpg

"you will find that is about the worst place you could put a bag ,there right in your way,unless it is just a sidecover painted like a bag you will always know its there anoyingly it even is a hazxard there and takes away control of the bike
what the hell is good about it ?the location?
it even looks ridiculous having them in your way
the normal location for the saddlebags/luggage bags is a great solution for such rertardedness of mounting them smack dab in your way
you know what it looks like ? like some queer interior decorator who knows zip even how to shift gears, dressed up a motorcycle
not that i have anything against anybody but it looks that fucked up and is
if you tucked them in flush so you wouldn't constantly feel them right IN THE WAY where your leg wants to ber and there was no buckles to catch a pant cuff or shoelace on, that would be different but having them bulked out right in your way is one of the stupidest deals i have seen yet
fcking snap out of it dudes,before you venture into public with the worst bag location ever concieved"

NoRiders said:
"you will find that is about the worst place you could put a bag ,there right in your way,unless it is just a sidecover painted like a bag you will always know its there anoyingly it even is a hazxard there and takes away control of the bike
what the hell is good about it ?the location?
it even looks ridiculous having them in your way
the normal location for the saddlebags/luggage bags is a great solution for such rertardedness of mounting them smack dab in your way
you know what it looks like ? like some queer interior decorator who knows zip even how to shift gears, dressed up a motorcycle
not that i have anything against anybody but it looks that fucked up and is
if you tucked them in flush so you wouldn't constantly feel them right IN THE WAY where your leg wants to ber and there was no buckles to catch a pant cuff or shoelace on, that would be different but having them bulked out right in your way is one of the stupidest deals i have seen yet
fcking snap out of it dudes,before you venture into public with the worst bag location ever concieved"
Rolling on floor laffin my ass off. Not really but funny tho :D and your right.

hmm. that response seems soo familiar some how.....and maybe I AM a gay decorator and that hurt my feelings...

Psy

Arrogant but accurate. The bag is too big and is in the way. A functional alternative would be a triangular tool bag/roll made to fit in that specific area and inset so as to not be in the way. Otherwise a side cover to hide the battery would be better.

Psycrow said:
hmm. that response seems soo familiar some how.....and maybe I AM a gay decorator and that hurt my feelings...

Psy

I'm sure you recognise the rant I posted Psycow haha ;)

FWIW I think the saddlebag looks OK.

It does look a little baggy and might get sucked into the rear wheel? Perhaps a metal stiffener fixed along the inside bottom edge would keep it stiffer (phnaarrr) and allow you to fix it to the frame/bike in some way?

Indeed I did... and caught the joke... im not actually a queer interior decorator (not that i have a problem with that lol). The bag was a military but pack and the straps you see going around the frame are just to keep the lid from drooping. It has velcro straps in the back that would have secured it to the web belt.. I cut slots in the side covers sheet metal and fed these through and secured so the bag is not going anywhere even when packed. I have an identical pack on the tail rack of my Bonneville... its done 12k kms and never budged. In addition the stock plastic side covers were curved out the sheet metal one I made is flat and tucks in as close to the battery box as it can so the bag protrudes as little as possible.

Psy

Also I swapped some work for a set of Dunlop k70 tires.. not exactly the knobbies I would like but the price was right ;) and they should handle dirt fire roads well enough for now. I just need to pick up tubes for them. According to the Yamaha tripples forum my rims are not tubless anyways which could explain why they need air every couple of weeks. I assumed all mags were tubeless however according to that site the 77 and most 78 mags were to porus to hold air indefinitely and tubes were required... if mybmags were tubless they will actually be stamped "tubless" on the spokes. Should have the k70s mounted soon but the weather is turning fast here and with my limited budget some stuff including all the road legal fees and paperwork may have to wait till spring.

Psy

Well she got a good 30 min skake down cruse today.
57db0558e26aa08caf78a7664dc0bb73.jpg

She started hard and ran rough with no power at low throttle openings. I think Ill have to dig into the carbs again and the other petcock has sprung a leak (more of a weep but the 1st one i fixed seems to be holding). When I got home there was a steady stream of white smoke from the crank case breather (like a lit cigarette) and i may have a base gasket leak. I never noticed this before but it looks like a little chunk out of the casting at the base gasket right behind the no 1 header pipe...
826ce6479c930e7375703b2c2da1d7e4.jpg

sigh i was really hoping this was not going to require a complete engine teardown....

Psy

I could be wrong, I've never worked on a Yamaha before, but I believe that is not a missing chunk but there by design (drainage?). Someone more experienced in Yamaha's may chime in on it.

The 'smoke' out of the crankcase breather is normal, its water vapor that 'steams' off the oil when the engine is at temp. Factory airboxes usually have the breather air recycled into the airbox so you never see it.

HerrDeacon said:
I could be wrong, I've never worked on a Yamaha before, but I believe that is not a missing chunk but there by design (drainage?). Someone more experienced in Yamaha's may chime in on it.
Ill dig into this a little more over on the tripples forum.

And I know about the water vapor .. this seemed more than normal but that could be an excess of moisture in the oil from sitting so long and the cooler fall temps here now.. I have fresh oil and filter so ill go ahead with a fluids change and see how she goes..

Psy

I don't know about that exact spot but I have seen similar details cast into yamaha crankcases - for lodging in a wedge and prying them apart (to break stubborn gasket cement). But yeah, seems odd just there?

Back
Top Bottom