76 CB360, Cherry Bomb at Barber's

Re: Found a fix my Keihin 754 carbs, , 76 CB360, before & after

Ok, details on the springs/setup on the fork. i have been wanting that look and do not know exactly how to go about it. Was it the CL360 forks that have the external springs covered by boots? It probably says in your build thread but I am to lazy to go through it right now.

Details man! details!

PS. Glad we can actually see your floor in your garage now.... :p

Bike looks good by the way. I am picking up another 360 this weekend and have plans to go bobberish style with it. Going to talk with you more about your 4" extention soon.

Re: one of these a-holes dont belong , 76 CB360, before & after

trek97 said:
Rode the bike 50 miles into work today. I had no trouble finding it at quitting time!

hondavshds-1.jpg

LOL, the only one with any class 8)

Re: external fork springs , 76 CB360, before & after

AzHonda said:
Ok, details on the springs/setup on the fork. i have been wanting that look and do not know exactly how to go about it. Was it the CL360 forks that have the external springs covered by boots? It probably says in your build thread but I am to lazy to go through it right now.
I dont believe any model 360 used the external fork springs. The front end on mine is actually a 69 CL350 Scrambler. The original 76 front end was rust and had the disc brake. I prefer the hassle free old school drum and the forks are in a lot better condition. It was actually the first change I made to the 360 the same night I got her. I just wanted to see if it would fit. It did.
Also I dont recommend stretching a swing arm. It does affect the cornering a little. And all the guys I see stretching theirs are doing it in such a way that I believe could be dangerous. (cutting and welding arms back together) way too much could go wrong.
I wrote more on this thread. And It includes more details on how I did mine. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=36109.0

Personally, I would never stretch a swing arm.
Even with same thickness material it isn't as strong as a swing arm designed for a specific length.
Luckily Honda over-engineered a lot of stressed parts on bikes built before computer modeling was possible so the extra strong section at pivot shouldn't give any problems
There are plenty of longer swing arms out there and as your going to need parts welded it would be easier and safer to narrow pivot then keep length

crazypj said:
LOL, the only one with any class 8)

Ha thanks PJ ! That means alot coming from a guy I respect, who, I know, thinks everything about my machine is just "wrong" LOL. But Ill be the first to admit I made a few changes to my bike that are not in the best interest of safety. But what the hell. I think it just looks like a heck of a lot more fun than those giant, chrome coated, over priced, saddle bag, lazy boy recliners. One guy said (with pride) he rides for an hour and polishes for 3 days. I told him Ive washed mine twice since I bought it...just over a year ago...the first time it was blue w a big duct tape seat and rusty chrome fenders with a 20 year coating of soybean dust.

Yeah, I have heard it said not to stretch a swing arm. So what to do? Have a custom one built?

Anyways, I will save all that for another thread or in a PM. I knew PJ would say not to do it. :eek: ;D

trek97 said:
Ha thanks PJ ! That means alot coming from a guy I respect, who, I know, thinks everything about my machine is just "wrong" LOL. But Ill be the first to admit I made a few changes to my bike that are not in the best interest of safety. But what the hell. I think it just looks like a heck of a lot more fun than those giant, chrome coated, over priced, saddle bag, lazy boy recliners. One guy said (with pride) he rides for an hour and polishes for 3 days. I told him Ive washed mine twice since I bought it...just over a year ago...the first time it was blue w a big duct tape seat and rusty chrome fenders with a 20 year coating of soybean dust.

It's only the tyres I don't like now, swing arm stretch affects handling and makes cornering a bit slower, but, not too many people ride like me (I'd be ded with those tyres ;D )
I would still ride it though, particularly to see if all the extra carb work has made a big difference.
My opinion changes when things are explained, you will get 'younger' though especially when a $1000.00 (? guessing) bike gets more attention than a $20,000 one ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) 8)

Re: 76 CB360, before & after

crazypj said:
It's only the tyres I don't like now, swing arm stretch affects handling and makes cornering a bit slower, but, not too many people ride like me (I'd be ded with those tyres ;D )
I would still ride it though, particularly to see if all the extra carb work has made a big difference.
My opinion changes when things are explained, you will get 'younger' though especially when a $1000.00 (? guessing) bike gets more attention than a $20,000 one ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) 8)
Hell I think I got $1000 in the carbs alone....LOL maybe thats 1000 hours and 1000 plug chops. I dont know whats wrong w me...but it sure is frustrating kinda FUN. YOU BETTER NOT DIE ON ME NOW, PJ...I would be really pissed off at you. LOL

Re: NOW Waiting on Chrome shop, 76 CB360, before & after

trek97 said:
Got bored last night waiting for 122 / 125s to arrive from jetsrus...I entertained myself. I tore down the whole front end. sandpapered and epoxied front forks appliance gloss black, cleaned paint off springs. emailed a place for quote on chroming springs, lubed cables, all the while emailing back and forth w pj between coats.
Got out of bed at 3 oclock this morning and re-assembled. The gloss black looks nice enough to make the rest of bike look like crap....lol She desperately needs a bath.
a crappy pic in my garage.

epoxyforks.jpg

Its amazing how stuff works out sometimes.
on Tuesday, 15th epoxied my fork lowers black...(now external springs NEED to be chrome) googled "chrome shops", found Quality Plating, 3 hours north/west of me, emailed shop a quote request.
On Wed, 16th got a quote back from chrome shop $35 each, found and bought another set of springs on EBAY in PA. @ 10 pm for $20.
On Thursday, 17th dude shipped the springs out to me.
On Saturday, 19th (this morning) springs arrived (better than pic), pulled the plastic fork protectors out, cleaned em up, got em back to post office and shipped em to chrome shop.
On Monday, 21st they will arrive at chrome shop.
Now just keep riding and waiting....3-4 weeks turn around. Hell could get em back on my birthday.

trek97 said:
Drama...to say the least, Ive been "super tuning" these carbs for almost a year now. and this thing is now running better than I ever thought a 360 was capable. Im hoping my bro brings his 400 four up from Memphis this weekend. I am REALLY interested in racing him now. I believe now I can take it. maybe for pinks. MUAA HAA HA HA HA!
mitchandminecopy.jpg

You even got the z50 into the picture ;D

I should be able to ride the 400 Monday weather permitting.

Let's try to do some good photo setups with your bike. I'm thinking at a lumber yard, grain silos, abandoned barn, somewhere cool.

mitchellsk said:
You even got the z50 into the picture ;D

I should be able to ride the 400 Monday weather permitting.

Let's try to do some good photo setups with your bike. I'm thinking at a lumber yard, grain silos, abandoned barn, somewhere cool.
SWEET. Ill find someplace. What is your eta? Heck I may even give the old girl a bath. lol

Re: All Balls Bearing day,76 CB360, before & after

Now that the rear is done I cant believe I didnt do this months ago...when I bought these. I was dreading these bearings but it actually turned out to be a hassle free fun little job. Got the All Balls bearings from DCC, the kit even came w new grease seal.

As long as I had things apart I decided to go ahead and blast brake links and sprocket. Use up whats left in the appliance black can paint.

Bearings went in smooth. Just make sure you have a couple peices of pipe or better yet a bearing driver ready to drive em in properly. Do not strike these new bearings on the inner race. only on the outer race. I used a big socket to drive smaller bearing...I spent some time hunting a peice of pipe for the larger bearing.

Just for all the haters out there...I did sprocket in red to match chain and motor. Brake links are gloss black. Also for Alpha...I did a very VERY half assed polish on the hubs. LOL. even still it looks alot better than it did.

next up front wheel. hope it goes as smooth as the rear did.

I like the red man! Stick it to the haters they can suck it lol!

Re: little bearing lesson,76 CB360, before & after

I now wish I had taken more pics. I have a pretty considerable amount of bearing experience, elevators have a lot of bearings.
any way the first thing I noticed once I got things cleaned up a bit. was the cracked tabs on the front wheel speedometer driver. where PO must have tried to change / service these bearings. didnt know what he was doing. First of all if you can see the entire face of the bearing 999 times of 1000 this is how the bearing comes out and goes back in. (On the rear wheel I could not see the entire face of the bearing. I knew the collar had to turn out. I stuck two drill bits in the holes and placed a big wrench between the bits and turned it right out, to expose the entire face of the bearing then I knew I could use a screw driver from opposite side and knock bearing out.) So on the front wheel the entire face of the bearing is visible so I cleaned better around the outside of the machined seal surface. I could see no sign of a seperation between surface and hub. so I was 99.9% sure this did NOT turn out. I used a screw driver from opposite side and tapped the bearing out easily. Without breaking anything. The old bearings were Honda originals...so thank goodness the person that failed gave up before he completely destroyed the thing. If you dont know, take it to a bike shop, auto shop, electric motor shop, ask somebody one here, anyone w bearing experience. dont get frustrated and destroy it.

when removing old bearings it doesnt really matter how you get them out...they are old and your going to throw them out. (just make sure they are coming out smoothly and straight, dont ruin machined surface for new bearing to go in.
But, when installing new bearings...if the bearing is held on the outside like these...use a pipe, bearing driver, press, something to exert force on the outside race...only. If for example the bearing is fits on the inside race...only use the inside race to push it in. get it? If it fits on outside race do not exert force on inside race. AND make sure its going in STRAIGHT.

worked till 11 last night and up again w wrench in hand at 3 this morning. Bike is completely reassembled. Just got to do a little touch up paint and get her cleaned up. I am getting pretty excited. mitch still hasnt answered me about bringing 400four up yet.
Oh, when I have time I ran into something else on front bearings. I will update later.

Ive got the old girl all cleaned up. what a chore. Shes looking pretty good though. I am getting excited for Mitch to get here and take pics. I really dont want to ride her too much till then.

Back
Top Bottom