1976 CB360t Slightly modded, restored to roadworthiness - Workin' on Beauty

Just went through your whole build, very nicely done! One question though, what was your process when painting the wheel hubs and other parts? They turned out good.

After taking them apart (spkes off, etc.

1. Wire brushed them clean. Bare metal. Also uses scotchbrite pads to get where the wire brush couldn't.
2. Wipe down with denatured alcohol to remove any oil residue.
3. Primed with Duplicolor Engine primer
4. Painted with Duplicolor Engine Paint "Aluminum" #1615
5. Clear coated with Matte Clear Coat...I'll check the can for brand and item # later.

The Duplicolor #1615 Aluminum High Temp engine paint is nearly identical to Honda's Cloud Silver Engine color. I didn't want the glossy clear coat either. The matte gives the right amount of sheen.

I followed the instructions on the can for drying time and recoat time.

I am very pleased with the result. It looks fresh from the factory in color and texture.

The forks were done the same way, same paint.

The engine was in reasonable shape, so I left it pretty much alone. I do intend to rebuild it later (valve job, rings) and will pant the engine the same way at that time.

Was polishing looks great, I did not want the hassle of cleaning and re-polishing later. The hubs are a PITA to repolish, and you know they will oxidise and fade. So paint seems the right way. I can touch up paint easily and inexpensively.

Despite my reputation against powder coating, I intend to powdercoat the frame in the future too. I think PC is a little expensive (I can afford it, but I still am frugal) for all the small bits. I really don't need to own a $10000 CB360t. $30 in rattle can paint keeps the bike shiny long enough...

I did polish the alternator cover, dipstick top, the top of the engine breather cover, and a couple of other bits. they are easy to touch up in the future. They can be easily removed and replaced without a lot of downtime on the bike.

Thanks for the write-up! I agree with the bit about the polishing/oxidizing. I'm about to start on my newly acquired 360 and was curious how your parts turned out so good.

One last question, how many coats of primer/color/clear did you do?

1 coat of primer, 1 coat of the aluminum (it covered really well), and 2 light coats of matte clear.

The clear is Rustoleum Painters touch Ultra cover Matte Clear. # 249087

378490.jpg

Got it at home Depot...

It is not High Temp Paint. I use a high temp clear when I do the engine.

Here's the pics of the work I just did. Don;t make fun of my welding. I have a really cheap Craftsman buzz box that is giving me fits. The weld is ugly but strong enough for the application...

Broken Tab....Broke in the 80's

htl4.jpg

Welded on replacement....Special thanks to Moto-Madness on DTT. He sent me some tabs he cut off one of his projects....Didn;t even let me pay for shipping...Stand up guy and business over there....

j6fr.jpg

The new/old air boxes restored. The parts are all from people on this site and DTT. I received very reasonable pricing and shipping charges from everyone. Some really stand up people on here.

5qnm.jpg

I did paint the bare metal tab, BTW, just not clear in the photos.

The next step is getting Sophie outside and giving her a good bath and polish...then some fresh pics ...

Another congrats to your son from yet another Eagle Scout. Make sure he has that on every college application and job resume he applies for!

Between Weather and work travel, have been doing little riding and little mtorcycle work. Today was a nice day to do a little catch up work.

I spent some time with my cheap carb synchronizer vacuum gauges. Using a MightyVac, I checked 2 of the four gauges for equal readings. They are a little off (They read 15 inches at 17 inches, but being the same was more important then being perfectly accurate.

I got out my motion pro carb sync screwdriver/nut driver and the adapters I bought from CrazyPZ, and synced the carburetors "perfectly".

I also adjusted Idle and mixture.

Sophie is running well now....It is amazing how much smoother and responsive the engine is after a carb sync is performed.

So Sophie is now ridable again, and I will be riding when time allows. Of course, this week is another travel week for work, so I may not get any riding in.

I was in Syracuse last week, and met up with Qrider. He had some CB36p0 parts and was holding some muffler and headpipes for me. I really just need headpipes, but I may try restoring these mufflers. The are rusted through in a couple of places.

tmtr.jpg

I may go universal mufflers if I can find some quiet ones.

That's all I have for now......

Re: 1976 CB360t Slightly modified restore to roadworthiness - Beauty later project

mydlyfkryzis said:
The Voltmeter is hooked to the unused brown wire in the headlight Shell.

Ha - I knew that wire was there for something!

When I was putting my CB450 together, I beat my head against the wiring diagram for quite a while before a couple of the guys at Hondatwins finally let me in on that one.

I still have my head pipes. If you want to pay for shipping, I can send them your way.

pm me your info if you are interested.

Received the Mufflers from http://www.hondaCB360.com just before my business trip to Houston, Tx.

They appear to be Emgo (price was right, chrome looks good, construction seems proper). I had mentioned to Zephyrking that I wanted upswept, but would accept straight ones. the ones in the pic at his website show straight. Happily, he sent me Upswept, as I requested.

fcvv.jpg

The first thing I did is replace the baffle retainer screws with some SS Steel screws and high temp anti-seize.
mfc9.jpg

Next, I replaced the clamps that came with the Muffler to the SS T-Clamps:

ltng.jpg

I checked the fit, was o.k.

a7p7.jpg

I will be removing the dented up 2 into one shortly and putting the stock 2 header pipes I have back on with these new mufflers.
I will see if I need to use the chrome hanger or if the stock hangers will work. The stock hangers keep the foot pegs from rotating, so I would prefer them....

The Voltage regulator from sonreir is working perfectly.

4wgk.jpg

14.6 volts at the battery....Much better than then previous 15.0 Volt model and better then the stock 15.6 Volts.

I need to clean up the wiring for it, mount it a little more securely.

that's all for now

mydlyfkryzis said:
The first thing I did is replace the baffle retainer screws with some SS Steel screws and high temp anti-seize.

It's like a gift to future-you!

Thanks, but my side covers have the oem plastic numbers and design.

I scored them on a barn buy, sight unseen. Got 3 sets of side covers in good shape.

My present tank and side covers are from that barn sale.

Man, I think I paid that much for each one of my T-clamps - nice find! Those T-clamps work great - they fixed the exhaust leak on my 360.

Mydlyfkryzis, your bike is really getting the star treatment! Hurray for another blue bomber!

Did some work this week...finished installing the mufflers. The mufflers are Emgo Brand evidently, but are nicely chromed and well constructed. I purchased them from http://www.Hondacb360.com as the prices were competitive and I like supporting Brenden there. He is a member here "Zephyrking" and has helped me out a lot. If you need a part he can get, he can ship out much more quickly then the other guys, and his prices are reasonable.

As I promised earlier, some pics:

p71e.jpg

tck5.jpg

hc6w.jpg

7tgd.jpg

Below, the nice T Bolt muffler clamps in stainless.
fnw4.jpg

Earlier in the postings, I bought a small zippered bag that is made to bolt to the fender of a dirt bike. It looked perfect for what I needed.

I have repaired the brackets on my luggage rack and fabricated the mounts to the rear hoop retaining bolts. The bag was perfect for extra storage. the tool box is just not large enough.

t7nf.jpg

Some winter time work ahead. I want to ultrasonically clean the carbs and replace the needle jets and needle.
Maybe Pamco Pete will finish the Electronic Ignition he promised me. Maybe Sonreir will come up with a better one....One can hope...
If the carbs come out well, I want to replace the swing arm bushings with Bronze ones. I like the TEC shocks I've seen and read about, they are also on the short list, though my ugly looking stock ones still work.
I will continue to clean the cases....

I would like to get one more riding season out of it before stripping the frame and having is Powder Coated.

She starts nearly instantly, runs well except for a slight steady throttle surge, which I think the ultrasonic cleaning will resolve.

She looks presentable, gets a lot of appreciative looks. People enjoy seeing a nearly 40 year old machine on the road, as many 350 owners know....

That's it for now...

Wow man, nice work! I for one appreciate seeing your 40 year old machine on the road ;D

Back
Top Bottom