1976 CB360t Slightly modded, restored to roadworthiness - Workin' on Beauty

Northern NJ, but not that green...Lawn is a bit green, but I had just raked leaves or you couldn't see the lawn...

I've been to Hawaii, and I live in northern NJ....Let's just say the vegetation is not quite the same.... 8)

This year is the first year I've had serious green stuff (I am not to picky, if it's green, it's good). We had a few dry years and the lawn never recovers, except right over the septic leech field. Grass is always green there!!! ;D

Haven't posted in a while.

I rolled Sophie out the garage today. She hasn't had a good year. With breaking my foot last year in july, and being off my feet, she was barely run at all. (My foot tried to wrap around the footpeg of the 750, turns out it doesn't bend that way).

First thing is check the oil. Wow! overfilled...that can't be right.....Oops, sometime, for some reason, I left the petcock on reserve....odd, O know better.....So change the oil quick.

After checekling tires and a good walk around, she starts right up in a usual cold start. Couple of ignition off kicks to get oil flowing, then choke on full, 2 kicks, then ignition on....first to kicks a cough or too, then the third kick and she is back to life....

Let her warm up a minite or two. Took her for a quick, 1/2 mile run, and she ran perfectly....You have to love the Pamco Ignition....She fely perfectly timed and ready to go.....No hiccups on the first short run....

So she is ready to ride.

I want to keep her operational again this year, so fixups are planned that allow riding.

Since I helped Sonreir somewhat in testing his R/R, I have excessive wire on the R/R top make it easy to replace frequently. The excess wire and connections are likmely to get loose easily, so shorten and make permanent the wiring.

The Tach was restored over a year ago, so now to clean the Speedo.

Some other little touchups and fixups, but no major work....I like riding her....

Pics will follow after a good bath and cleanup.

Will be taking more pics and updating as we go...

Better check them over flow tubes on the bowls, next time you got em off.

Otherwise...SWEET! :)

I made a Pamco product review post, please check it out.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65621.msg751812;topicseen#new

The wife was just asking me what I wanted for my Birthday. I think you just sold me on the Pamco.

Im not the biggest fan of electronic ignitions. The pertronix I installed on my 70 chevy k10, failed. 60 miles from home. Deep in the woods while my daughter and I were mushroom hunting, camping and 4x4ing. It sucked ruined the weekend. The truck sat while I waited a week for a new one. I ordered 2 and kept the backup in the glove box.

trek97 said:
Better check them over flow tubes on the bowls, next time you got em off.

Otherwise...SWEET! :)

The bike was on the side stand. It was the angle...the carbs had a little residue on the low side....

We were smelling "paint thinner" in the garage most of the winter and could not track it down. I found it.

Overflows are working....Float sticks (need to replace hinge pins....have them on hand too), and the overflows work fine, just not at an angle.

Went for a 10 mile ride later this evening. She ran perfectly. You can tell when the timing and carb sync is good, as it pulls evenly even with a small throttle change. After the winter in the basement, it still was spot on.

I am finding my front disk is not releasing. I suspect the check valve in the master cylinder, as the little hole is clear. I may "uupgrade" as te original may have bore issues. Then I can ride with good brakes and see if I can clean up the old one. I won't be without ride time then. If the old one cleans up, I put it back.....The caliper was cleaned up and new SS piston put in as well as seal...less likely to be that, but I may need to double check. Might be the pad on the piston side.....Will do that first.

Alway something. My newer '91 never has these issues. (Hope I didn't speak too soon).

My apologies if his has been covered in the tread earlier. I saw you were going to convert the stock air filters to using foam or something. Was this done? Any pics or details? I would like to make mine more maintainable without dropping $100 on replacements.

BTW - great summary on Pamco. After my spring cleaning my next project is electronic ignition on my 360.

Thanks,
Peter

pkoster said:
My apologies if his has been covered in the tread earlier. I saw you were going to convert the stock air filters to using foam or something. Was this done? Any pics or details? I would like to make mine more maintainable without dropping $100 on replacements.

BTW - great summary on Pamco. After my spring cleaning my next project is electronic ignition on my 360.

Thanks,
Peter
Didn't do the Filters yet.....Was looking at the candidates last night and said to myself : "Myself, you need to get that going"

I will document that with pics and how I did it...Sometimes life gets in the way of a good time....

Ive never tried but wondered if theres something out there to remove the glue. maybe experiment w heat gun?

I'll figure it out...I have 2 heat guns, a Sears "HomeDuty" and an industrial "Fires of Hell" type....One of them should soften it...Or maybe leave it alone.....Have to see.......I have everything I need but the time....

I ordered a caliper seal, my front caliper is dragging. If I kick it, it frees up....I cleaned the caliper and replaqced the piston 2 years ago, but maybe the pads are stuck....If not the caliper, then the MC, which was also rebuilt....All the holes in the MC are clear, so I suspect the caliper. The fluid is replaced yearly with high quality (The "Blue Stuff" ) so I don't think the MC is at fault. But if the caliper turns out OK, then I may replace the MC with a new "Sames as Original" new one from Sirius Consolidated. I like my brakes to be reliable. The front brake dragging is why the bike was parked in the first place in 1988....Don't want history repeating...

If you remove the glue, the filter box falls apart. (do you really need to ask? ;D )
You have to just cut out the paper part, flatten off the glue holding things together and fit foam or paper filter.
Getting everything to stay in one place with a 4 piece air filter is quite an 'interesting' game
Have you split caliper and checked pivot pin? (or did you fit a grease nipple last time it was apart?)

crazypj said:
If you remove the glue, the filter box falls apart. (do you really need to ask? ;D )

OK smarty pants. ::)

Just remove glued in paper element. Fit a light weight expanded metal inside as a backer and to retain the integrity of the frame. Then Glue, silicone "what ev" bulk uni foam over the expanded metal. Heck you could get a Fram paper filter, cut the fresh paper out of that and fit it into your modified filter frame. making it an easy swap so you can re-new element at service intervals. Without having to clean and oil the foam material.

Geesh! Now you got me torqued off...I think Im gonna do it myself...Just for SPITE and FUN.

So far, I got a pretty good start on replacing the filter element. :mad: ;)

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65653.0

That's interesting link, seems others haven't had as much problem.
Maybe 'Honda' used more 'glue' on the solid parts with later filters?

Update...Purchase a new Replica MC from sirius consolidatred and I had a new caliper seal I bought a few weeks ago. I was ready to tackle my sticking front brakes. (When I applied the front brakes, the caliper would not release).

I rebuilt the whole shebang 3 years ago. I was pretty sure the MC was good (not 100%) but a suspecxted the front brake pad was dragging in the caliper bore. Sure enough, the pad was "glued" in there. I pumped the pad out with the MC. The piston was in great shape, the seal was dry, but the bore had a some corrosion. Cleaned the bore of the caliper (pad section, not seal) with a small SS wire brush on a dremel. Wire brushed the metal OD of the pad (Pads are about 2 years old now) and put some copper neversieze (Very, very thin layer) on the bore. The pad is now the correct fit. Reassembled and it worked again perfectly.

Took Sophie out for a 5 mile walk, everything worked fine but the signals. A loose ground wire under the seat fixed that. While I had sophies top off, I checked electrolyte in the battery. The battery is in its third year. It has been on the Baqttery Tender Jr. Since October 2014. The electrolyte level was perfect.....no dried cells, none even near the fill line.

I also ran Big Red (NH750) out of the garage...Except for one small run in July (Broke my foot on that first ride on that bike) it has been sitting. When I put it away in July, I was walking on that just broken foot and left the ignition on. Killed my Battery Tender Plus and killed my 7 year old battery. So today I installed a new (cheapo Amazon AGM battery) and Big red also started easily and ran well. I love sea foam. All my power equipment is surviving storage despite ethanol laced gas.

So happy day....both cycles on the road....

Must be some kind of built in service thing that makes you have to work on the front breaks on these bikes if you park them for so long, both of mine had to have their calipers cleaned this spring, first time in a few years, then I didn't get as many miles on them this past winter as I would have liked.

Glad to hear your babies are back out enjoying the sunshine. :)

No pics for today's work.... I had helped Sonreir test his combo rectifier,regulator. Since I was playing around with different models and taking them on and off, I made extension wires to make it easier. Tonighjt I removed 2 extension sets of wires, put new spade connectors in the old nylon 4 pin connector, and now the Sonreir regulator (The one that had the best spec) is wired with one connection. I won't be so nervous riding around because with 5 wires, the old connections had 20 places to fail. Now there are only 4, and fresh. I will have a lot more confidence in Sophie's reliability.

Next is too repair the starter clutch....I have all new rollers and springs for the freshen up....Sophie usually starts easy, but the e-start sometimes just doesn't spin the crank...That shall be remediated with new parts.

I did ride her for an errand, and I can't help marveling at how well she runs and handles. I am still convinced she never worked this well from new. Better than ever.....

Back
Top Bottom