Americana: A Motorcycle Documentary

Venture72

Code:

Hey guys, we are in the early phases of creating a documentary to record our 15000 mile journey across the United States. Over the past few months my friend Josh and I have been discussing doing a major trip like this and decided to finally set out to make it happen.

We are quitting our jobs, and hitting the road by August 1st.

After hanging out a few times and really discussing the details of our trip, we decided that a documentary would be a lot of fun to make and log our travels. So on our trip, we are adding a mission. Our mission for our trip is to not just pass over beautiful land marks and keep moving. This trip isn't just about the bikes, its about the people you meet along the way. We are planning to document our conversations and experiences with these people. Showing how a passion for travel and motorcycles can bring people a hell of a lot of smiles and good times.

Below is a little bit about the guys who are making this happen.

My name is Drew Graves. I have been running a business for the past 3 years and albeit successful the daily stress is really getting to me. I have always wanted to take a long journey, just me and my bike, and I've decided its now or never. The longest trip I have ever taken was a 7 day ride to Canada and all throughout New Hampshire and Vermont from my house in Pennsylvania. I took this trip on my 1986 Yamaha Xj750. I now ride a 2016 Harley Dyna. I bought this bike brand new in May of 2016 and have ridden it from PA to North Carolina twice since then and have always wanted to keep going when I end up having to head home. I am looking forward to getting out on the road on it for 120 days and seeing the States through the bars. Cant wait to leave in August.

Hey guys and gals I'm Josh Moninghoff. I caught the motorcycle travel bug after taking my beat to hell DR350 5,000 miles from PA to Oregon on the Trans America Trail. That trip made me fall in love with our country and the people who make it tick. I got to see some amazing landscapes but more importantly I met some of the greatest people. So, I'm setting off again, but this time to document the trip and the people who really make it a journey. So smile and enjoy the ride.

Re: Venture 72: A Motorcycle Documentary

Lookin forward to the updates.

Do y'all have a proposed route yet?

nateb said:
Godspeed! Enjoy

80 cb750

Thanks dude!

Right now we know we will head across northern border to montana from our homes in PA, then straight north to Alaska. Then south through California, and east along the southern border.

Here is our first VLOG. It covers our first few meetings trying to make sense of all of our ideas for the trip so far and the documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qahqCRf6P9s

Cool :)
I'll be following along. If you make it through southern Louisiana, specifically New Orleans, I'll give y'all the nickel tour for free ;)

canyoncarver said:
Sounds like a good time.

Thanks fellas, definitely want to come through NOLA!

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just posting a rough overview of the trip route. I think by the end it'll be about 15,000 miles. We plan on leaving August 1st then heading North to Alaska, then we will head south to avoid the cold. I'm sure we will hit some undesirable weather coming back from Alaska since it'll be a bit late in the season, but what's a trip without some suffering mixed in. Just gonna have to pack the long underwear.

Anybody wanna tag along.......

Josh picked up his freedom machine this week. Its a 2000 Sportster 1200 with 2000 miles on it. Got a great deal on since the previous owner dropped it and broke the shifter and turn signal. Today he fixed the shifter. Hes planning on some saddle bags, handle bars and some other odds and ends to make it trip ready.

Right now I've been working on getting some taller bars on mine. Trying to gain a more upright riding position for the long haul. So far Ive got the wires run, the clutch cable in, the longer brake lines in but not bled. Still have a few things to cross off the list. Saddle bags, and exhaust primarily.

Saw this at the store, thinking about getting some of these stickers. Its gonna be a long trip. ;)

Looks like you guys are going through Albuquerque. Buzz me here before you come through and I can probably ride with you guys a bit.

Venture 72: A Motorcycle Documentary

If you guys pass through the Monterey CA area let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canyoncarver said:
Looks like you guys are going through Albuquerque. Buzz me here before you come through and I can probably ride with you guys a bit.

Awesome man. We will add it to the list of stops and keep you posted. Does it stay pretty warm near you in the fall/winter months?

Ply318ci said:
If you guys pass through the Monterey CA area let me know.

Will do, we will keep you posted. The plan is to ride the coast so I can almost guarantee we will be passing through there. We won't be leaving till next august but we will be keeping a list of the people on the forum who reach out to us, So I will let you know.

Appreciate the support!

Depends on the weather and what you mean by warm. This winter has been really mild.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Venture72 said:
Will do, we will keep you posted. The plan is to ride the coast so I can almost guarantee we will be passing through there. We won't be leaving till next august but we will be keeping a list of the people on the forum who reach out to us, So I will let you know.

Appreciate the support!

By August they should have the 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) fixed. All the rain took out a bridge and about 17 miles of the road.

Ply318ci said:
By August they should have the 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) fixed. All the rain took out a bridge and about 17 miles of the road.

I hope so. It sure is awesome having all this feedback from you guys about our route. This stuff is invaluable to us. Thank you!

Here is my 2nd video about our trip so far. We are doing a lot of planning, fixing, modifying stuff like that in preparation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmgmw_qgrCQ

Hey, if the timeline works out, you should try to be in Birmingham, AL for the first weekend in October. The Barber Vintage Festival is Oct. 6,7,8. Definitely a "Must Attend" event.

Redbird said:
Hey, if the timeline works out, you should try to be in Birmingham, AL for the first weekend in October. The Barber Vintage Festival is Oct. 6,7,8. Definitely a "Must Attend" event.

Damn that's right, everyone I've talked to that has been to Barber swears by it. I hope to god we end up in Alabama in October! It's a bikers dream from what I've heard, sounds like you would agree with that.

I've been the last 6 years in a row. It's always an awesome time.

Redbird said:
I've been the last 6 years in a row. It's always an awesome time.

We would love to go. Gonna try to swing it

Tell you what, me and Josh sure wish it was August 1st so we could start heading to Alaska!
We are working hard on a trailer for our film right now. Coming up with scenes, narration, and ideas is harder than you would think!

Also planning the upgrades for gear storage on our trip.

Until the weather is warm and the bikes are ready, Easy Riders and some good tunes will have to do. :)
-Drew

Coincidently, if/when you make it through southern Louisiana, I can direct you through the small town of Morganza. That's where Wyatt, Billy and George get into the fight with the townsfolk for flirting with the young girls. Melancon's Cafe is no longer there, torn down several years ago, but the lot where it stood is still empty.
It's also not far from there where they filmed the end of the movie. I forget the highway number, but I can get it for you tomorrow. I'll pass through Morganza in the tractor/trailer, headed south on LA 1 towards Baton Rouge.

FullSizeRender_zpsogtw20zr.jpg

Melancon's was where the steps protrude out.
FullSizeRender_zpseoalbjbj.jpg

LA 105 is where the final scene was filmed. I've never been, but I'm told it's about 6mi west of the LA 1 intersection.
FullSizeRender_zpsom62u6j9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom