Cleaning old tools?

Khaos

Cafe Racer in Cardiff, Wales
I've inherited a lot of tools from my uncle - many in good condition, many have lain rusting for years though.

Right now I'm soaking some in diet sugar-free lemonade - which does a pretty good job of getting rid of the rust - I've tried vinegar in the past, but although this takes longer it's more thorough, somehow. Are there any other methods of cleaning rust off spanners, etc that may be more effective?

There's a number of commercial products available to gently, chemically remove rust that work really well. I like Metal Rescue also (Amazon link - http://a.co/13s6NEw). I've used it for tools, hardware, and the inside of tanks with success. My favorite part is that it's considered biodegradable so you're probably fine dumping it.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

BarnBurner said:
There's a number of commercial products available to gently, chemically remove rust that work really well. I like Metal Rescue also (Amazon link - http://a.co/13s6NEw). I've used it for tools, hardware, and the inside of tanks with success. My favorite part is that it's considered biodegradable so you're probably fine dumping it.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

It's kind of uncommon and expensive in UK, but it's definitely on my radar now - that's a great recommendation - thank you.

a small tumbler with the right wet media would be the least work
how bad ? is all the chrome pitted off,if you knock off the loose and just start using them wiping them of with a semi clean oily rag when done, they will age beautifully
but that oxisilic acid works wonders on spot rusted chrome, i think its a wood bleach as well evaporo rust

Many of them are screwed - we're talking total chrome loss and heavy pitting. BUT - a lot of them are cleaning up. I've got a bucket load of duplicate tools here, but they hold sentimental value (and... give me an excuse to buy more toolboxes heh heh).

+1 on the tumbler, a little simple green and water and it cleans while you are doing something else. Take them out and dry them and then fog with some WD40. And it works great on old bike parts.

Powderfinger said:
+1 on the tumbler, a little simple green and water and it cleans while you are doing something else. Take them out and dry them and then fog with some WD40. And it works great on old bike parts.

Wish I had access to a tumbler :(

As it is, I'm going to get hold of a rust cleaning fluid for the next batch. This batch is going to get rinsed off with boiled water, dried thoroughly then cleaned down with wd40. Toolbox is filling beautifully, and the memories of my uncle are flooding back :D Damn, but that man loved his engines. Shame it was always 4 wheels, but with his history I've got the sizes here to work on anything from a Mini to a Mack in both metric and imperial sizes :D He had tools from all over the world.

Given their reputation, it is quite surprising that the tools that are coming up best are the Russian and Chinese ones - the manufacturing of them might be crude (particularly on the Chinese spanners) but the material quality is absolutely astonishing.

another thing about simple green it will strip most paint and some rust off of metal parts if you BOIL them in it, 25% solution,75% water, i use an electric deep fry deal from a yardsale free pile

do it outsdide l0l

Back
Top Bottom