Born Again Bikes completed Kawasaki projects

grandpaul

Author, "Old Bikes"
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100, personal salvage restoration

I found this wrecked ZRX leaning against a pole in the downstairs "graveyard" at Joe Gregory's bike shop in Laredo in 2004, when I was on a treasure hunt for some needed parts for some other ongoing project; Joe has the best salvage operation within 150 miles of my shop, so I'm there pretty often.

412806396.jpg

I had it running inside 4 hours, with a new battery and a tank bra to cover the caved-in rear section. Fairing and fender were still trashed (photo shows the god side), and humongous heavy OEM muffler still neded to be addressed.

412806395.jpg

Joe connected me with Universal City Kawasaki to pick up a tank, fairing and front fender quite reasonably priced, he also sold me a nice carbon fiber muffler and a new clutch lever. The rest, I found online, mostly through ZRXOA.

The engine was in great shape, the forks, radiator and fairing/headlight mount were all tweaked and needed significant re-work. The meter cluster was trashed (as were the tank, front fender, lever, muffler, and fairing already mentioned). I bought a set of nice low mile tires from Joe and had him install them, as well as re-balancing the wheels. I flushed and rebuilt the forks, carbs, clutch and brake systems. A bit of Rust-O-Leum spray paint touchups, and the bike was ready for some of the most amazing throttle-only wheelies, and 130+MPH speeds I had ever experienced up until that point.

410879231.jpg

I gave the bike to my oldest son who rode it hard quite a lot, then one of his "friends" wrecked it and basically rashed it from top to bottom on both sides. After refurbishing it again (nothing too serious or expensive, thankfully), I rode it a year or so then gave it to my younger son who then traded it back to my older son, who then sold it. "Musical bikes" or something like that...

2001/2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - my personal modern sportbike

After selling the '99 Rex (above) I started kicking myself every time I thought about it; I should have NEVER sold that bike, it was a good runner and PAID FOR!

However, through the wonders of serendipity, I was on another treasure hunt at Joe Gregory's and, lo and behold, in the EXACT SAME SPOT, leaning on the exact same pole, was ANOTHER ZRX!

412806412.jpg

It had all the SAME damage (tank, fender, fairing, meters, radiator, forks, clutch lever), PLUS bent frame, bent front rim, broken left footpeg, trashed forks, broken blinkers, and trashed fairing mount.

I was able to find everything I needed including a spare frame and engine on ZRXOA. I went ahead and tore the bike all the way down to the frame and had it powdercoated, I also had my painter fix the replacement tank and paint the replacement fairing to match. The bike got a new battery, tires and chain, plus some assorted stuff like grips and mirrors.

One item I am especially proud of was taking two trashed meter clusters, carefully cutting workable mating lines, and building one good cluster from the remains-

343707501.jpg

This bike gets ridden almost as much as my 2000 Triumph Legend, but when Sally & I go out on 2 bikes, she rides the Legend (more often than riding pillion with me, I wonder why?)

359501940.jpg

A shot of my younger son and I goofing off on our private road

345465656.jpg

2001 Kawasaki ZRX1100

After rebuilding my 1200R, I had so many parts left over, I figured "why not", bought another engine, forks and rear wheel and started in on my 3rd 'Rextotation.

348536712.jpg

(Inverted forks in the photo ended up on a client Norton resto/mod)

This one had to go through the salvage title process, and I ended up with mismatched paint, a single front disc setup, and a black front fender; but apart from that, the bike turned out quite nice...

353935445.jpg

On the other hand, I lost several hundred dollars in starting from scratch; I bought parts from over TWENTY members on the ZRXOA forum! It was fun, anyway.

"3 Rexketeers"

354489227.jpg

1974 Kawasaki H1 500 triple

BEFORE

335079635.jpg

Inside story: I bought this bike in the most serendipitous deal ever, at the Sandia Classic swap meet in Albuquerque in 2008. I had been racing in Formula 500 class in AHRMA, on a borrowed H1 that blew a cylinder liner at Miller Motorsports Park near Salt Lake City the week before. I scraped together just enough to buy the bike (what do you suppose the odds were, that there would be a viable donor H1 at the swap meet that weekend?), yank the engine, and stuff it in the race bike just in time to get through tech and collect 2 more 3rd place finishes, then 2 more finishes at Barber's that October. I didn't know it at the time, but the engine had a holed middle piston; still, it dragged me to 3rd place in the final Formula 500 championship standings!

Jeff in a frenzy in the pits at Sandia, donor bike in the background-

335079639.jpg

Swap meet engine with a holed piston brings home the goods!

340111422.jpg

335080396.jpg

After the season was over, I pulled the engine out of the race bike and returned the poor thing to the owner, Jeff; his boss ended up paying for a complete Scott Clough rebuild at no cost to me or Jeff, so there were smiles all around!

I got the remains home, partially disassembled the bike, and had my painter work his magic on the tank, sidecovers and tail. While the painter was doing his thing, I swapped out the burned piston and overhauled the carbs, going up one step richer on the middle cylinder. I fixed a few small items, refurbished a lot of other rough stuff, and put it all back together...

341128453.jpg

It sold on ebay for a tidy profit.

My "big baby" 1980 Kawasaki KZ100 A4

183136452.jpg

Apart from the oil cooler, quarter fairing, and headers, this bike is totally original. I bought it in 1985 with 32 miles on the odometer from a local all-brands dealer, they had it in a warehouse and it was forgotten for a couple of years.

Fairing is a Tracy 2000, I'm trying to have some copies made, I think they're really nice alternatives for late 70s / early 80s standard bikes instead of going full cafe racer. Header I have on it at the moment is a Vance & Hines, the one in the photo is a MAC. I could never find a Yoshimura pipe for a 1000, only for 750s; I like the constant-diameter tailpipe on the 750 Yoshi pipe.

I actually FLIPPED this bike without serious injury or damage, just a torn throttle grip & footpeg rubber, and a small scratch on one of the original mufflers (still hanging in the rafters). I couldn't get it to turn in a fast right-hander and bit a straight 4" curb at about 40MPH, flipped STRAIGHT over and landed back on the tires but fell over, tearing a big hole in the butt of my BRAND NEW Levis jeans (the most expensive damage of the accident).

A few years ago, I swapped the head, trying to remedy a seemingly incurable stumble off-idle, but have since learned there is a minor fix that stabilizes the ignition.

The photo above represents TWO tear-downs to the bare frame to do touchups, install new tires, change bushing & seals, multiple carb overhauls, two complete valve jobs, and regular tune-ups for over twenty years of regular service. Plus, three different headers, 2 Tracy fairings, and twice returning it to stock for show.

I've had numerous offers to sell the bike to various Japanese buyers and buyer's reps, but have declined offers exceeding $10K AS-IS, somewhat scruffy, rusty and faded...

Back
Top Bottom