drop seat kz

Schmeck750

If you can't buy it, build it.
Figured since I have many things to do to my bike I guess I can call my kz750 twin a project.
My plans are pretty simple,
Drop seat hardtail using the swing arm axle plates and just cutting the rest off.
Already did the wiring and removed the battery from the equation. Have to finish wiring but not sure on what I want to run for lights.
Bought a dna springer to install on the front
Bought a custom trident sissy bar
Bought some used steel forward controls to modify so as to use on my kz
Was going to use a 2 into 1 intake but am forced to stay with original bs38s.
Homemade baffle inserts welding into head pipes 2 into 2
Im sure I am missing something but will be updated here and there on whats been done and with lots of pictures! Because people like pictures. 8)
All opinions welcome!!!

Trying to put this front end together but I need the steering races. Anyone know where I can get JUST steering races? I already have bearings so I don't need to buy a kit. I need 48x14 and 52x17 races for tapered bearings.
Anyone have info on this?

Can you reuse bearing races? I have brand new Timken bearings and it just so happens on another fork shaft I have some races that the bearings fit perfectly. Only problem is they will need to be removed. Can I remove the races from one fork shaft and install them into my kz ??? I would have to use a press so as not to damage the races I guess

Okay so from all balls the bearings I can get are slightly off in width measurement.
I need 25x48x14 upper and they have 25x48x13 and 25x48x15 but no 14. For the bottom I need 25x52x17 and the closest is 25x52x16.5 and 25x52x19.
Should I be concerned with width? The bearings and races will fit but I guess will be slightly taller?

Which is what I will most likely do . And I found some decently priced dom tubing so next week I will get the bearings and metal and get to work :)

I've got an 82 KZ twin. I've really thought about a hardtail for it. Looking forward to seeing what you do . Pics, pics, pics...
Cheers.

Sure will. I have a lot going on right now but as soon as I can get to it I will post updates.

Here is a picture of a hardtail using the swingarm axle plate and looks like piece of a sprocket to seal it off . The axle plate setup he has is similar to what I will be doing .

Pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 762
Heres a question. How structurally sound is welding the bottom tube of the hardtail to the frame like this?

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 549
Like that pic? Not very sound at all. You want to match tube to tube with a slug joining them internally. Rosette weld on each tube and a proper butt weld at the joint. That's really the only way to do it correctly. The joints where the hardtail meets the frame in that pic will see massive stresses and I personally wouldn't trust it at all.

And that's why I asked lol . My tubing is on the way but I was curious where to weld the bottom tubes to the frame because welding them like the picture looks like a good way to kill urself . When you say slug you mean smaller tube slid into each one and then connected at a buttjoint right?

Okay Will do. Any ideas on where to attach the bottom tube though? I'm going to remove the motor so that I can get at the frame better and repaint it .
Should I attach it like the picture but with a slug? If needed I could probably get ahold of a tig machine but it's a real stretch. all I have right now is my mig 160 with flux core.

Back
Top Bottom