KDX 200 Project thing

CaferacerMO

Been Around the Block
Picking up this beaut' on Monday.. I am just going to assume surely it's been ridden hard as it has a lot of obvious wear.
I have decided to come to you guys, and let you have some influence on which direction this goes.. first up my plans are as follows

1. reupholster the seat
2. give everything a nice new paint job
3. add a speedometer
4. wire in an ignition
5. fix the petcock and gas cap

If there's anything that sticks out to you that needs fixed that you can tell, or you have any ideas for which way I should take this build feel free to throw them out!
Right now my main goal is to just have a nice solid daily rider for this summer.

Haha, I can dig it personally, but just be warned, this particular bike was torn apart a while back on the "Craigslist gem of the week" thread. Don't be surprised if it gets the same treatment here =p

I still think it's a neat looking little Scoot, and I'm looking forward to following along with what you do with it =)

hurco550 said:
Haha, I can dig it personally, but just be warned, this particular bike was torn apart a while back on the "Craigslist gem of the week" thread. Don't be surprised if it gets the same treatment here =p

I still think it's a neat looking little Scoot, and I'm looking forward to following along with what you do with it =)

oh no! well thank you for the heads up.. I will try to find that thread, do you know where it's at by chance?

Lol its way back in the thread called "cafe racer such a loose term, Craigslist gem of the week". It's been at least a few months, so I have no idea how far back in the thread it is by now

This thread somewhere
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=37950.0

hurco550 said:
This thread somewhere
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=37950.0

Found 'er
I personally dig the bike, I know I will get ripped apart but I'm good with that because that only will help lead me where I need to go with the build and what to fix 8)

That's where I recognize it from!
I might ask you to take a couple of measurements off the ignition plate at some point.. Just a heads up

CALfeRacer said:
That's where I recognize it from!
I might ask you to take a couple of measurements off the ignition plate at some point.. Just a heads up

I think I can handle that ;D
The sad part is it will have to sit in the shop until I get home from college for the summer :-[ BUT in the mean time I can still reupholster the seat and fix the tank and collect some other parts from my dorm 8)

CaferacerMO said:
I think I can handle that ;D
The sad part is it will have to sit in the shop until I get home from college for the summer :-[ BUT in the mean time I can still reupholster the seat and fix the tank and collect some other parts from my dorm 8)
I totally understand. My CB125 sits at home in the shop while I'm at college all year

mods if you can move this to tracker section that would be great!

I picked her up today and so far I'm pleased, it was accurately described and it actually runs pretty well. I've never owned a two stroke but this thing has some get up and go!
I'm also kind of excited because it has some one off 3D printed parts on it that I didn't know about which is kind of neat.
The tank leaks a little from the cap, and the petcock, so I'm going to scour the upcoming big motorcycle swap meet to see if I can't find a new one on the cheap..
I also am ordering new levers and pegs, and throwing on some new biltwell grips I had laying around..

It got hated on but I love it. Could use some different front forks (some inverted ones would be awesome) but still looks fun as hell.

Aside from ride height, no fenders, and that short little stinger, I don't really hate it. Looks like it'd be fun to blast around on. You'd probably be well of rebuilding the petcock (or get a new one) and finding a fresh seal for your gas cap. Good luck dude

Lol I think I did too actually. It was just one or 2 that bashed it hard lol

Plans for fenders are definitely in the future, as far as the front end go's I'm going to keep my eyes open for part outs and see if I can throw some inverted forks on off a dirtbike preferably, I'm thinking a gsxr front would look a little too big for the bike

CaferacerMO said:
Plans for fenders are definitely in the future, as far as the front end go's I'm going to keep my eyes open for part outs and see if I can throw some inverted forks on off a dirtbike preferably, I'm thinking a gsxr front would look a little too big for the bike
Look at pit bike stuff on ebay some of will bolt on :-X

DohcBikes said:
Look at pit bike stuff on ebay some of will bolt on :-X

Yeah I am trying to collect good quality parts, but also on the cheap so this may be a slow build. Although it won't actually kick off until May whenever I have my shop available to me. I am really trying to avoid this thing because a major money pit like my last kawi brat build, I was in that thing for double what it was even worth (I know this is redundant because these old bikes should be expected to be money pits..)

Details mang.

I think this thing is sweet if it rides good, skinny tires and light weight is great for whittling through traffic. Just make sure your squeezing all the power out without hurting the motor, keep refining the brakes until you find the right combination forward and aft, dial in the details with quality parts and little by little you will have something very cool and performs how you want it to.

A little rake might be good.

Big difference in bagging on janky shit and hard truth.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Details mang.

I think this thing is sweet if it rides good, skinny tires and light weight is great for whittling through traffic. Just make sure your squeezing all the power out without hurting the motor, keep refining the brakes until you find the right combination forward and aft, dial in the details with quality parts and little by little you will have something very cool and performs how you want it to.

A little rake might be good.

Big difference in bagging on janky shit and hard truth.

That is my goal, I want a well performing machine, I am focusing on all things that need fixed, first addressing the braking system. I want something that kicks ass on the road, and then I will address the cosmetics, that is where I went wrong with my first build, I went ahead and did the pretty things all last winter, paid hundreds to powder coat and paint every part only to scuff all the paint working on a bike that ran like sh*t. Sorry but I do not understand what you mean by a little rake... haha! Help me out here!

Okay, so basically the reason I got interested in this bike was because I have been really digging the bikes in the tracker section lately.. I love the stance of this bike where the ass of the bike is slightly up.. if you are following. I feel like my bike has potential, but is there anyway to achieving this stance without modifying the sub frame?

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=53028.225

this is kind of what I am wanting.. sorry photobucket is down :mad:

Back
Top Bottom