Welding Gas Tanks

Hi Ryan, yes we are talking about oxy welding tip sizes. If you are looking to buy a setup, take a trip down to your local welding supply company and have a look at what they have. For welding 1mm body steel a #6 (0.6mm) is the ideal size tip in my experience, as the "just off soot" acetylene setting and oxygen set to a neutral flame is just right.
Oxy acetylene is very versatile and you can use it for brazing, silver soldering, welding, cutting and heating. With the correct flux and goggle lenses you can even use it for aluminium welding, with very good results.
Please keep in mind that acetylene is an extremely volatile gas and care must be taken when using it. I would strongly recommend avoiding the cheap Chinese kits that are on the market.
Pete.

I think Zeke (in Texas) has learned to alloy weld with Oxy/DA.?
6 tip being 0.6mm makes perfect sense to me, not sure if BOC in Britain used same system but 20 yrs since I welded anything 'back home'

Ryan Stecken said:
I´m a lucky guy.

My wife will buy me a brand new TIG I just need to pick a model that will suit my need. 8) 8)

Do you guys have some advice on which machine I should pick and what I should look out for?

Just found the firm ELMAG...do you guys know if these are any good?Will have a meeting with a technician...

Thanks!
You want a Lincoln Square Wave if you are going to be doing a lot of aluminum. We have tested them side by side and it is amazing. You want a great lid... so you can see the puddle. Zeke started on Oxy/Ace and could do both steel and aluminum. It took him 7 months to do aluminum... graduated to a Precision TIG and we will be upgrading to a Lincoln Square Wave. Zeke has a thousand plus hours under the hood and can weld the thin part of coke cans together. You will only be as good as you spend the time under the hood. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So i´ve been practicing a lot lately, at the moment I´m "grounded" due to a surgery on my right ankle but I´m planning on some exciting projects.

Here is a question for you guys:

I already designed and made a few pieces for a friend who opens a biker bar in Vienna and there are a few pieces left to be built.

I want to build a helmet wardrobe for the bar.For this I will attach 6 scrap XS 750 conrods to a steel tube with the Pistons connected to the conrod like there are when assembled in a motor.

The pistons need to be welded to the conrod somehow which seems to me impossible since the pin that goes trough the pistons is stainless and the piston is ally...
Can I TIG weld them together?
Can I weld ally to stainless?
If yes, DC or AC?

Thanks guys!

If you don't have an oxy set to braze them and depending on how much force they would be subjected too, you could try Loctite or superglue.

Or silver solder the pins to the rods and drill and tap the piston pin bosses and use a small screw to hold them on place. If the piston pins are too hard, get some steel rod or thick wall tube machined to size and use that

No point trying to join steel and alloy there really, just hammer the piston in on the small end, will create a very strong rivet type joint! Could also drill and pin it as previously stated.
And i think you need one of these to heat large portions of metal:
http://tuotteet.etra.fi/en/g23880235/aga-heating-nozzles-x11 get yourself a real Aga x11 setup, and a small pliable .6mm torch head for welding thin sheet and you are good!
Edit: see those copper torches? You can bend them how you want to and kick ass for welding sheet steel!
http://tuotteet.etra.fi/en/g23880223/torch-kit-x11-pro-flex

Texasstar said:
You want a Lincoln Square Wave if you are going to be doing a lot of aluminum. We have tested them side by side and it is amazing. You want a great lid... so you can see the puddle. Zeke started on Oxy/Ace and could do both steel and aluminum. It took him 7 months to do aluminum... graduated to a Precision TIG and we will be upgrading to a Lincoln Square Wave. Zeke has a thousand plus hours under the hood and can weld the thin part of coke cans together. You will only be as good as you spend the time under the hood. Good Luck!

I knew I'd seen a pic of him welding alloy with gas, did't know you now have a sq wave TIG. I still can't 'do' alloy even after 30+ yrs of welding (only ever did steel or bronze weld though) It's something you need to practice regular, pretty much every day to be 'good - I was once but not now :( )

crazypj said:
I knew I'd seen a pic of him welding alloy with gas, did't know you now have a sq wave TIG. I still can't 'do' alloy even after 30+ yrs of welding (only ever did steel or bronze weld though) It's something you need to practice regular, pretty much every day to be 'good - I was once but not now :( )
It makes me sick to see how quickly the young pick things up!
We have a Lincoln Electric Precision TIG but we have spent a couple of days on their inverter square-wave 200. It was amazing since we were doing a lot of aluminum. Zeke would trade for that machine in a heartbeat.

Texasstar said:
It makes me sick to see how quickly the young pick things up!
We have a Lincoln Electric Precision TIG but we have spent a couple of days on their inverter square-wave 200. It was amazing since we were doing a lot of aluminum. Zeke would trade for that machine in a heartbeat.

I bought 10 of those square wave tig 200's for my lab. Hard to beat the machines for the price.

8747a8ced3442c3c3c2c6754f5d3eacb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hurco550 said:
I bought 10 of those square wave tig 200's for my lab. Hard to beat the machines for the price.

Can your students see a difference between the Miller 212 and the squarewave...

After Zeke welded up the thin ends of two cans Mark Prosser and Bryan Fuller told him he could go for his welding certification if he could pass the hammer test https://instagram.com/p/BXvpZKohb5P/

Texasstar said:
Can your students see a difference between the Miller 212 and the squarewave...

I hope so lol

The miller 212 is a mig machine only and the Lincoln is tig/ stick only.

Hurco550 said:

Thats beautiful. Wish miller and Lincoln had retailers in sweden, did my first 111 certification on a 400A miller machine, it blew quarter sized holes in thick wall pipes if you were not careful with the remote

Texasstar said:
After Zeke welded up the thin ends of two cans Mark Prosser and Bryan Fuller told him he could go for his welding certification if he could pass the hammer test https://instagram.com/p/BXvpZKohb5P/

Hehee! Other tests include sneaking up and spraying solvents on the weld puddle, and hf arcs in the glutes

Finally set up the Henrob/Dillon/Detroit oxy acetylene torch.
Both the oxy and the acetylene regulators are set to 4 PSI. I then used the smallest tip and only just cracked open the torch valves about an 1/8th of a turn. So it uses very little gas.
The photo shows 2 mild steal samples on the left. Far left was my first ever attempt to weld with oxy. The 2nd from the left was my 2nd attempt - much better ;D
The 3 samples on the right are all 304 stainless exhaust tube. The burnt shitty welds are when I used the same neutral flame as used on the mild steal - no good :-[
You can see on the same samples some nice smooth welds, that was when I upped the acetylene to create a carburising flame AS PER THE INSTRUCTIONS :eek:
After my first day of oxy welding I am bloody happy with the results.

Attachments

• Oxy.jpg
    Oxy.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Henrob.jpg
    Henrob.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 397
i have had one of those since it came out as a dillion mark whatever 25 or more years ago

greatest oxy acetylene torch on the planet

I'd heard they were good, friend had one but was a pretty shitty weldor (weldor is the person, welder is the machinery - todays English lesson 8) ) He never got good welds with it but more to his lack of skill. Personally I never tried it, he didn't want me doing better welds than him (wouldn't be difficult). I got a microtorch a few years ago (before they were made in China for $45.00 ::) ) Works OK on anything over 0.010" thick, maybe thinner but I haven't tried it.
Over the years I've found good regulators are worth the money as they will hold a constant LOW pressure (4 psi or less) The best ones have all been two stage though, single stage regulators always have a problem at real low or real high pressure in my experience.
Stainless steel is real difficult to gas weld paricularly if you can't use inert gas inside a tube, it can look good but is almost always porous, if it looks like a metal sponge, it is ;D

crazypj said:
weldor (weldor is the person, welder is the machinery - todays English lesson 8) )

I'm glad you found some good drugs. LOL. A welder is very much a person.

Back
Top Bottom