TR1 wannabefast&light

Tune A Fish,
Sorry could not find the prod# of the d22-D47bearing anywhere as if it has vanished from the internet as well, but it exists as I have it installed, so there is hope.
If I find it I will post it.

I appreciate the effort mang. Maybe if you pull the wheel anytime you could write down the part number (provided you can see the #'s) and I can contact all balls

Some progress...

Got the rear brake stoppers welded.
So I can get my GSF Bandit 2012 rear brake installed.

Also found these rearsets from trusty ebay, just needed a small fix on the footpeg, looks better than original to me.
Just need to get the "rearset holder plates" sawed to shape.

ps. Tunaman, tried to check the bearing part # but it's not visible on the outside at least :-(

Attachments

• IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 364
  • IMG_1758.JPG
    IMG_1758.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1753.JPG
    IMG_1753.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 363
  • IMG_1760.JPG
    IMG_1760.JPG
    741.5 KB · Views: 364
"even more BAD-ASS than Ichiban moto" , Is that even possible???

Great bike, I am constantly amazed at the beautiful bikes guys are making with the Virago - TR1.

Shes's a rolling !

Slightly amazed how low the bike sits, and how slim.

Got the rearsets installed with the 1st version of the 10mm aluminium holder plates, plan on drilling some holes on them.

Also made my #1 weight saving exercise by replacing the bulky shifter (steel) rod with a carbon fibre one, just need to cut it to proper length, but as it's not going to be very adjustable I will need take extra caution when adjusting the final setup. I might save several grams with this one ;-)
(from: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__52426__8_x_6_x_750mm_Carbon_Fibre_Tube_3K_Plain_Weave_Matt_Finish.html )

Too bad my new chain only has 104 links, now I know that if you run 17 tooth front and 47 tooth rear you will need at least 108, dang.
Well, I ordered a 42 tooth rear sprocket as I think it will actually be closer to the original ratio that way, so not a big loss there.

Attachments

• sprocket2.jpg
    sprocket2.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 370
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 367
Great build, it's looking very good, even unfinished......home straight now.

Your weight saving graph is interesting and 43+ kgs saved is a small adult!!

Yep, the 47 rear sprocket in the pic is is too big, it came with the GSXF wheel.
I now have one 43 tooth and one 42 tooth in the mail, 17 front and 42-43 rear should be ok, although the 43 is still too much for a 104 link 530 chain.
Will need to wait for the postman to bring me my 112 link 530 x-ring chain, then I should finally be able to test the drivetrain.

Took her out for a spin, pretty sweet 8)
The torque is strong and available instantly,SUCCESS, thanks again XVracer for the jetting tips, it's almost flawless, lets see if I need to make changes as the stock airbox and filter are gone.
Feels a lot like the Ducati 900ss my friend used to have, just looks cooler ;D (sounds are a draw)

Might need to get stiffer clutch springs as it felt like it might have slipped, or then it was wheel spin, it's only 8 degrees outside.

Still need to get rear lights and brakes working, gauges and misc electrical stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 357
whats the seat height? You xv guys sure do like em low... looks like you could damn near use the engine as a kick stand :eek:

Couple additional pics...
Try not to notice the duct taped freezing tupperware acting as the electrical hub.

...and it's low but might keep it that way as it seems to work.
The same way all the working duct tape/ziptie tune-ups.

Attachments

• IMG_1786.JPG
    IMG_1786.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 357
  • IMG_1785.JPG
    IMG_1785.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 345
It works? But, what about smacking a pothole. What about leaned hard pushing through a corner, ad in a little dip and bye bye buddy. Shit, just a sudden deep ridge in the road is gonna bust right through the bottom of the case. Not to mention the handling and safety issues. I guess we all learn one way or the other :eek:

It's about 2 inches too low.

I always say, if you cant use the stock kick stand it's too low

I like the bike a lot and it's gonna be sweet, but you have to get it up.

You probably right Tune-A-Fish about he height as the stock stand is too long, not sure what would be the best option to get the front end up a notch.
I'm thinking about a couple of solutions:
1. a fatter front tire (not optimal as will increase weight and reduce handling)
2. 18" front wheel (expensive?)
3. shaving some metal on the upper "headstem" on the frame in order to get the telescopes lower, probably not many mm's to gain here

so needs some figuring out, suggestions are welcome.

LazyOx said:
You probably right Tune-A-Fish about he height as the stock stand is too long, not sure what would be the best option to get the front end up a notch.
1. a fatter front tire (not optimal as will increase weight and reduce handling)
3. shaving some metal on the upper "headstem" on the frame in order to get the telescopes lower, probably not many mm's to gain here

I'd go for a stepped top yoke... something like this.. or extend the fork legs maybe

Attachments

• hornetyokes1.jpg
    hornetyokes1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,491
his engine is in the middle of the bike, so for every inch he raises the front he will only gain 1/2 of that in the middle...
to get the 2 inches dohc suggested he'd need to gain 4" in the front.
That's one hell of a step for the yokes, as well as changing the rake angle, unless he can get the ass up as well.

LazyOx said:

Gullwing trees, and you can get extended stanchions in fact look for a compatible set an inch or so longer

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom