timing chain help !!!

73CBnoob

hey guys
just finishing up the process of putting new head gaskets on but i have a dilemma, i want to make sure my timing is on and it seems like it is but at the same time it doesn't. so i lined up the the crank so the LT is at the pointer, then made sure both cams were lined up exactly, put the master link on and the LT moves about a 1/4 inch away. I noticed when turning the crank so LT lines up with the pointer you have to hold it there or it moves by itself so thats what i did and after everything was together its still moving. After i put the master link on i moved the chain with the crank to line everything up again and both cams are dead on but the crank is not. does it have play ? or am i doing something wrong. please help i really want to finish this project up.

With Suzuki GSXs you line everything up but when you turn the engine over a couple of times by hand it's out by one tooth one one cam - I can't remember which cam, so you rebuild it with it out by one tooth on whichever cam, turn it over a couple of times and it all lines up.

Pull the front run of chain tight when checking. Make sure the tensioner is backed off. Adjust tensioner before turning motor

Back
Top Bottom