UK Ford Fusion

The Limey

Evil English Villain
Started life as a 1400cc 4 pot with a tarmac rippling 78bhp. It now has a 1700cc VVTi motor from a Ford Puma, which provided a sprightly 124bhp. Ramair induction kit and a Ford Racing Puma plenum bestows it with 135bhp. It weighs 1100kg so is pretty sprightly. Other than some very minor wiring, the engine was a straight swap. It's running the stock Fusion IB5 box. The Puma also uses the IB5, but I knew my existing box was a good one so was happy to keep it, even with the shorter ratios. It thraps through the gears like greased weasel shit, but is a little buzzy at motorway velocities.

Interior has voltmeter and vacuum performance gauges. Fiesta ST steering wheel, Transit Connect gear knob, leather gaiter, ST pedals, and air vent trim rings from DMB.

Outside it has a 30mm drop on Apex springs, Mountune mudflaps, Nokian Allweather tyres (superb in the mainly cool and wet conditions of Central England, and fully 3 peaks snow rated), and a tailgate spoiler imported from Germany, and genuine Focus RS MK2 bonnet vents. It has the crystal headlights from the earlier mk1 version. It also has a slimline light bar sly g under the roof bars, and a couple hundred watts of extra lighting concealed behind the grille. Oncoming drivers who don't dip their headlamps need a welding mask to survive the onslaught.

Next on the list is a quick shifter, Fiesta ST seats, and front and rear strut braces.

Ford parts are cheap, and Fiesta turning parts just bolt right up. Cheap speed.

n9O8Q0E.jpg

It's a laugh to use. In the UK the Fusion was mainly bought by pensioners and had sedate performance, so a hotted up pocket rocket version puts the wind up some folk when it catches them out. Occasionally I go out deliberately dressed as a pensioner in a sensible coat and a cloth cap to lull the unwary into a false sense of security...then I smoke em.

I really need to learn the lingo of you Brits. First, I need to figure out what motorway velocities are. I assume we’re talking 90 kmh or so. It’s funny, but tend to like the British and European offerings of vehicles more.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

70MPH + are UK motorway velocities. The max speed limit is 70, but no bugger obeys it because the whole country only has 3 traffic cops left, and one of those is off sick.

Nice rig, can't get those here. Which model Nokian did you get? I put a set of Rotiiva's on the CRV and love them, full 4 season tyre and so far they've been great.

The latest gen Nokian Weatherproof. Brilliant in all conditions, and makes swapping between summer and winter boots a thing of the past in the mild UK climate.

Nice, I'll check them out next time I need shoes for the Yaris. the AT Rotiivas don't come in a size for it.

The Michelin Crossclimate is supposed to be damn near as good as the Nokian Weatherproof, so might be worth seeing if they're available in your size.

Back
Top Bottom