"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Re: "Tangerine Dream" - KZ750

Powdered parts look cool....hope it's not to thick around the holes?

I know I'm addressing an old lag, but when rattlecanning my tank I had smooth and rough areas which looked both shiny and dull. No matter how many passes it was the same outcome.....until I gave it a go with some compound :D

If there's enough paint on there'll be enough to cut back a touch.....I was very surprised how well it came out in the end.

Progress is good progress ;D

Nice choice TJ I like paint over chrome for keeping clean too.

Cant wait for the final reveal :eek:

NoRiders said:
Powdered parts look cool....hope it's not to thick around the holes?

I know I'm addressing an old lag, but when rattlecanning my tank I had smooth and rough areas which looked both shiny and dull. No matter how many passes it was the same outcome.....until I gave it a go with some compound :D

If there's enough paint on there'll be enough to cut back a touch.....I was very surprised how well it came out in the end.

Progress is good progress ;D

Yes, I learned from bitter experience to blank holes / threads etc. when having powder coating done ! My guy is pretty good - if I forget, he'll always sort it. It actually looks far better ( impressive) in the "flesh".

I've used plenty of rattle cans over the years - this one is just plain crap ! It looks like the dreaded " bloom" - but the temperature / humidity was fine.

I've just ordered high build Satin Black from a reputable paint supplier - just being lazy with the rattle can as I was originally just looking to use it as a guide coat on the tank !

Too cold at the weekend !!!! Finally got the guide coat on today - and even before I sprayed it, I could see there was more shaping required on the right side. I guess all you "proper" painters will be laughing at my efforts - but I WILL get it right in the end !

I moved my mini-workshop around today in an effort to get enough room on the bench to assemble the forks so I can start finalising what's needed for the spindles / spacers etc. Just about do it with luck. That's meant moving my "spray shop" [ !! ] to the other end of the shed. Compact and Bijou.

I had a final prep of the fork legs and they'll be in this week, then I can get on with the spindle measurements.

A bit of real progress at last !

I decided to move the small bike stand from the garage to my shed - and ended up mounting up the frame on the bench.

Just a short leap then to preliminary fitting of forks, rear wheel and the front wheel.

By that time it was too cold to carry on - so tomorrow it's centralise the wheels and have an initial measure up for spindles.

Fortunately the front [ Grimeca ] spindle is long enough for the fork spacing. Just requires some sleeves making up to bring the diameter up to fit the fork caps.

The rear looks OK, but I'll have to modify the sleeve [ for the disc brake mount ] or get a new one made.

I'll also sort out which sprockets I'm going to use, then I can see about centralising for the sprocket. Can't really finalise that until the engine is in and I can align the chain run.

While I'm at it, I'll remove all my reconned hydraulics and lines etc. that I won't be needing. That also means junking my rear brake set up !

New torque arm will have to be made - I'll probably go with Rose jointed rods front and back as I've got a load of odd ball joints that need using up !

those wheels look awesome

Loving the red frame and fork tubes.

doc_rot said:
those wheels look awesome

Doc,

Yes glad I decided to use them now. I've been taking a bit of stick from my mates over the condition they're in !! The result of being stored in a damp garage for two years.

I'll be out there with the Solvol Autosol when all the mods to spindles etc. have been done.

Brodie, I have a thing about Red ! Anyway, wanted to get away from traditional colour -ways. The Satin Black celly paint should be here next week, I'll shoot the seat base just to get an idea if the Black / Red works works OK.

A bit of input required. I asked before, but now I'm ready to go.

Front "number" plate ............. Square or oval ?

The front and rear brake torque rods will have rod end ( Heim / Rose ) attachment - a bit more work, but it will be somewhat different.

I've decided how to do the front spindle - not as straightforward as I first thought as the spindle needs to be torqued against the bearings and also locate it within the fork caps for correct spacing.

The rear is straightforward.

+1 with Maritime beach, oval goes well with your style looking good so far mate

Thanx guys ............... I'm going down that road too.

Just so happens that an A4 note pad backing is about the right size !!! So I'll make one up of each and offer them up for approval / choice.

I plan on fitting a couple of Eagle Eye hi-intensity LEDs into the plate for self preservation ! 8)

I had planned to take my seat base in for upholstery, but my trimmer is away now [ Switzerland skiing ] until the new year - obviously paying them too much ;)

Always the spoiler :-\ Flat Track Tradition is rectangle with rounded edge.

43d78c318960b2e8a616a545187687a1.jpg

This will be more of a road bike "street tracker" so... on with the ovals mang!

It really only matters what you think Beach, you have done so well in the past, why question your own judgment now? :eek:

Tune-A-Fish© said:
Always the spoiler :-\ Flat Track Tradition is rectangle with rounded edge.

43d78c318960b2e8a616a545187687a1.jpg

This will be more of a road bike "street tracker" so... on with the ovals mang!

It really only matters what you think Beach, you have done so well in the past, why question your own judgment now? :eek:

Yes, it's not often that I don't have a clear picture of what I want. I had a really busy day today and no time for playing with the bike - but I'll be out there tomorrow with the cardboard to make patterns. Fortunately no big deal to make up both styles!

I think the ovals have it 8)

Only going on the front BTW - I've made up small shaped side panels to cover electrics etc.

Maritime said:
Ovals for sure. That looks correct.

Yes - definitely the way to go ............................. only problem is that when I fitted it up on the bike, it LOOKS like it should be a Cafe Racer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmm - I have clip-ons, I have my famous 7R race seat - just need the right tank .............no, no, no - have a word with yourself TJ

£20 for a GRP oval plate !!!!!!!! Someone is having a serious laugh !

Anyway, my pal - who is an ace home diy'er - has all the right tools and will cut one out of a piece of 1/4" perspex he just happens to have in his garage !

I know I asked this once before - I'm looking for a suitable flat tracker style font ( 50's / 60's ) - only need a 5 ( 55 - my playing number ).

Back
Top Bottom