CB450 Café Racer Build. IT'S A ROLLER

he put three inches on the swing arm so he wouldn't pop a wheelie in every gear. He secretly has the torque of a twin turbo diesel.

jrknecht said:
Here are the photos as promissed.
be3d8240.jpg

I love it!

thanks guys, I really appreciate that :) . I am really going to try to make it home this spring to finish this bike up. I will definitely keep you all posted.

JR

Fully compressed yes I think it would hit, but I am only 155# and there is no way in hell that I am going to make it hit and the bike will be set up for only a single rider so I am about 99% certain it will be fine. It actually has a lot more clearance than some of the bikes I've seen and they are all fine so I am not worried.

JR

cyclhed said:
Nice looking bike! So the rear loop is not going to hit the tire?

Never underestimate inertia. You will eventually find hit a dip at a high enough speed to full compress those shocks. You're probably not going to break anything when it happens, but you might end up with some tire marks in interesting places.

well that seems like it would help reduce the number of times you would bottom out if it were stiffer.

I plan on doing something similar but am a little worried about some sort of catastrophic failure.

It doesn't make the springs stiffer overall, it just makes them stiffer, initially. Once the springs compress to a given point, their stiffness is the same whether they started at that given point or whether they've have to first compress a little to get to that given point. To make springs stiffer overall you use fewer coils or thicker metal.

Sonreir said:
It doesn't make the springs stiffer overall, it just makes them stiffer, initially. Once the springs compress to a given point, their stiffness is the same whether they started at that given point or whether they've have to first compress a little to get to that given point. To make springs stiffer overall you use fewer coils or thicker metal.

You're one smart dude! I thought the same (setting the springs on their max preload) but as you stated, it doesn't help shit.
XL500 springs would help :p

So these shocks have a load weight of 365# per shock and are about 2" longer than stock. That means it would take 730# to compress them all the way. I think I am going to be fine. ;)

JR

Like Matt said at some point I may have just the right circumstances where I hit a big enough bump at the right speed to fully compress the shocks but it would only hit for a split second and no it would not lock up the rear wheel. I am really not worried about it, but if it turns out I need more clearance I will just get a lower profile tire, the one on there is really thick and I think I could add an inch more of travel if needed with a lower profile tire. ;D

JR

schaubster said:
if these hit the rear hoop do you imagine it would lock up the rear tire?

Back
Top Bottom